plexy glass case , any advice?

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
so im trying to build a plexy glass case, i dont know what kind of demsions i should use it, but im using a mATX board, 1 hd, uhm, i dont have a laptop cd drive so im using regular, and im using a atx psu, if you have any advice, reply, i already sliced my thumb in two at he tip, didnt get sticthes, it was in a weird spot for it, but any advice, thanks

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
hmm i think im using a really thin plexi glass,, i want to make a small cube pc, but i dont have a itx board, and im deffinelty not going to buy one, i wanted to trade someone for one, but i dont know anyone with one, but i have a matx board, celey in it 1.3 oc, uhm,,,,64 mb vid, and 512 ram pc133, but i have a 13 gb hard dirve, im just worried abut it being flimsy, so i think i might get some of thoose 90 degree things, i work in contracting so my boss can give me some = )

irishsk8rpatrick

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Typlicly you don't want to go thinner then 1/4". If you want a cube her is what i would do. Start with the base. Make it about the size of your motherboard. leave space so you can reach things. Then work your way up. Measure out your Drives and figure out where you want them. make sure they won't restrict airflow and leave room to get to things. Check your optical drives. most have tabs on the cd tray that will alow for the drive to mount on it's side. if it does you may want to mount it on it's side. I think a good starting point would be to make all of your sides the same dimentions. That should give you plenty of room to play with the layout. For me i would go through a couple of test rigs before settling on the final build. If you already have the thinner plexi then use it for the test. Or maybe some plywood or even cardboard would be good for you prototype. When i do mine i'll be rendering it on Turbo CAD be for i make my first prototype.

thinks you could design me one?
thats fairly easy to make?
i have enught plexi glass, all the tools i could need. i don tknow about how to screw it in tho, gunna find some 90 degree things

4Aces

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
so im trying to build a plexy glass case, i dont know what kind of demsions i should use it, but im using a mATX board, 1 hd, uhm, i dont have a laptop cd drive so im using regular, and im using a atx psu, if you have any advice, reply, i already sliced my thumb in two at he tip, didnt get sticthes, it was in a weird spot for it, but any advice, thanks

If you like to look at scratches and scuffs then by all means build a plexi case. However I would take a peek at some cases with windows that are a few months old and see how they look. I won't build a comp with a clear case for that very reason it's going to look like crap in no time due to wear alone. It's too much time and effort to put in for it to end up that way so soon for me to justify it. Though I did see some guy build a replica of Orac from the BBC blake's 7 a while back and it actually worked but other than that sorta thing I'd stay well away from the clay case.