Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard for D 805 or 930 ...need help

JDept

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi. I need some help making a decision. :) I have been researching for a couple mos. on building my *affordable* dream computer. The most important component of my dream computer is the MB, backbone, of a computer. Is Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard - MPN: P5WDHDELUXE a good choice for the the Pentium D 805 or 930. I want to go with one of these cpus b/c they were "tried and trued" to be OC'd @ 4Ghz. And that's where I would like to be. Also I chose this MB b/c later on I could upgrade to a Core Duo CPU once they get all the bugs worked out and price drops.

What do you think? I would really appreciate some suggestions ..

~Current PC~
ACER Aspire E AMD Athlon 3500
ACER 1916W Wide 19" LCD
256MB Integrated Videocard
512 MB Ram
200 GB Seagate
Microsoft Optical Elite for Bluetooth (Keyboard & Mouse)

!Posted 19Aug2006 - Check out my OC Project of the D 805!

AODBOB

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Just a forwarning, make sure you are using an aftermarket cooler such as the zalman 9500LED or water cooling..... Don't expect to get 4Ghz because you might get one that doesn't overclock. I know I could never hit anything close to 3.8Ghz on air cause my room is always way too hot. I would just wait a week or so for the conroe to be more wide spread.

What "bugs" are you talking about? I've only heard of the BIOS issue, which is not too bad. I guess I need to start reading more on them before I buy mine.

btw: 256MB integrated graphics? 8O

jarchow

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
I think you're going to be happier with the 805D. It's almost half the price. And you could put the money you are going to save into a video card that isn't integrated. :D

JDept

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi. Thanks for the feedback. I understand the d 805 is cheaper than the 930 but when you look at how much the difference is and the possibility to go to 4.6GHz with water cooling. It almost sounds like it's worth it.

What I really need to find out is if this MB "Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard" is a good idea? B/c I really am looking for something that's upgradeable and will still be comparable to new systems in 6 mos. down the road. Meaning, if and when I get a new Core 2 Duo CPU. Anybody thinking about doing the same thing?

jarchow

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Well, actually I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. I already have my motherboard (Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard). I'm actually ordering the P4 631 because it is hyperthreaded and I think that is going to benefit the games I'm playing more than a 930 will (both are 3.0 GHz). Once I have the watercooling set up and everything working, I can upgrade to C2D.
It really depends on your applications whether you want a Pentium 4 or D solution.
I'll be interested to hear about what you do.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
The 930 will run cooler at same speeds due to the smaller die size. It may also overclock further because its stock speed is higher. Newegg is selling the 940 for $187 now but zipzoomfly is selling the e6300 for $208. at those prices the conreo may be a better choice but to oveclock that chip you need a pretty good board, and the P5W DH is. If I had to choose between the 930 or 805 I'd take the 930. Between the 930 and e6300, I'd take the 6300. If you still want an 805 pm me as I am selling my cpu, mobo, and cooler soon and probably for less than the price of that P5W DH board.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Hi. I need some help making a decision. :) I have been researching for a couple mos. on building my *affordable* dream computer. The most important component of my dream computer is the MB, backbone, of a computer. Is Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard - MPN: P5WDHDELUXE a good choice for the the Pentium D 805 or 930. I want to go with one of these cpus b/c they were "tried and trued" to be OC'd @ 4Ghz. And that's where I would like to be. Also I chose this MB b/c later on I could upgrade to a Core Duo CPU once they get all the bugs worked out and price drops.

What do you think? I would really appreciate some suggestions ..

at this time i think the d805 is a horrible choice. you should try a d915 there cheap and are oc' monsters as well over 4.0ghz on air.
I dont know where 4.6ghz came from but i am going to say that it nearly impossible (with the d805- probable w/d930) without chilled water. I have seen people boot 4.4~4.5 ghz including myself,but to run stable 4.3ghz is the max average i have seen.

my orignal goal back in april was to have something to hold me over to conroe but i have been so pleased with my d805 that i see no reason to upgrade.(edit: its more like i got screwed with my e6600 order that i gave up upgrading) i will pick up a D915 tonight and if i can get past 4.5ghz on water i might just keep it and hold off for better.

JDept

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
From IcBlUsCrn~
at this time i think the d805 is a horrible choice. you should try a d915 there cheap and are oc' monsters as well over 4.0ghz on air
Hi. I appreciate the responses. Do you have a link to where I can see the stats for the d 915 OC'd to 4GHz on air? I am also really interested in the setup you have now. Please share the wisdom. THX 8O

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
From IcBlUsCrn~ at this time i think the d805 is a horrible choice. you should try a d915 there cheap and are oc' monsters as well over 4.0ghz on air
Hi. I appreciate the responses. Do you have a link to where I can see the stats for the d 915 OC'd to 4GHz on air? I am also really interested in the setup you have now. Please share the wisdom. THX 8O

I do have links but considering your newbish (to the site at least) i'll be even more helpful . At the top of your screen inbetween the Pm and faq , there is a search button, go ahead and click it. then you can type in .....something like lets say.........D915 there is at least one guy on there that has his d915 o'c
what the real amazing part is that most forums have the same button you can try it there to find other d915's..

Go ahead give it a shot..
If you still need more links i'll see if i can help

happy hunting