how to change default installation drive in XP Home

The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D partition
and fills it up.

How can I change it back to C?

Thanks
Linda Scherzer
4 answers Last reply
More about change default installation drive home

    Linda, check here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223188/
    "Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
    > install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
    > partition
    > and fills it up.
    >
    > How can I change it back to C?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Linda Scherzer

    You will need to clean install XP . Ensure you don't have a zip drive or a
    usb drive connected when you setup XP. If so the zip or usb drive is
    assigned the drive letter C by the BIOS when you boot. When XP is installed
    it ends up being assigned another drive letter. There is no way to change
    the drive letter short of doing a clean install .

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
    > install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
    > partition
    > and fills it up.
    >
    > How can I change it back to C?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Linda Scherzer

    Thanks. That's about what I've come to see. There are a number of things
    this will clear up as well. So it won't really be a wasted effort.

    Thanks again.
    Linda

    "Harry Ohrn" wrote:

    > You will need to clean install XP . Ensure you don't have a zip drive or a
    > usb drive connected when you setup XP. If so the zip or usb drive is
    > assigned the drive letter C by the BIOS when you boot. When XP is installed
    > it ends up being assigned another drive letter. There is no way to change
    > the drive letter short of doing a clean install .
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
    > > install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
    > > partition
    > > and fills it up.
    > >
    > > How can I change it back to C?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Linda Scherzer

    Your welcome and glad to see you are trying to make lemonade 8^)

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > Thanks. That's about what I've come to see. There are a number of things
    > this will clear up as well. So it won't really be a wasted effort.
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > Linda
    >

    > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    >
    >> You will need to clean install XP . Ensure you don't have a zip drive or
    >> usb drive connected when you setup XP. If so the zip or usb drive is
    >> assigned the drive letter C by the BIOS when you boot. When XP is
    >> installed
    >> it ends up being assigned another drive letter. There is no way to change
    >> the drive letter short of doing a clean install .
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when
    >> > users
    >> > install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
    >> > partition
    >> > and fills it up.
    >> >
    >> > How can I change it back to C?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks