how to change default installation drive in XP Home

The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D partition
and fills it up.

How can I change it back to C?

Thanks
Linda Scherzer

Linda, check here. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q223188/
"Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
> install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
> partition
> and fills it up.
>
> How can I change it back to C?
>
> Thanks
> Linda Scherzer

You will need to clean install XP . Ensure you don't have a zip drive or a
usb drive connected when you setup XP. If so the zip or usb drive is
assigned the drive letter C by the BIOS when you boot. When XP is installed
it ends up being assigned another drive letter. There is no way to change
the drive letter short of doing a clean install .

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
> install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
> partition
> and fills it up.
>
> How can I change it back to C?
>
> Thanks
> Linda Scherzer

Thanks. That's about what I've come to see. There are a number of things
this will clear up as well. So it won't really be a wasted effort.

Thanks again.
Linda

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> You will need to clean install XP . Ensure you don't have a zip drive or a
> usb drive connected when you setup XP. If so the zip or usb drive is
> assigned the drive letter C by the BIOS when you boot. When XP is installed
> it ends up being assigned another drive letter. There is no way to change
> the drive letter short of doing a clean install .
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Linda Scherzer" <Linda Scherzer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The default installation drive got set to D instead of C. Now when users
> > install software if they're not careful it goes to a very small D
> > partition
> > and fills it up.
> >
> > How can I change it back to C?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Linda Scherzer

Your welcome and glad to see you are trying to make lemonade 8^)

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp