Advice for my $500 build

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking to build a machine for $500, and I put something together on newegg...

My Build

The only thing I think I am missing is a power supply. Could you recommend a good power supply for my parts and let me know if anything isn't compatible? Thanks a lot!

I would swap the case for the Antec Sonata II. It comes with a 450W Antec Smartpower PSU, which will be more than enough for this system as is, plus a few upgrades.

Then swap the RAM for this Corsair XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800 set. The timings are the same, but it's a 2 x 512MB set. Always got for dual channel operation. The only option for ignoring what I have just said is if you are planning on getting a second stick of that pqi ram you listed within a month...

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
You seem to have forgotten a video card. If you're not gaming, a Geforce 7300 or Radeon X1300 will do; you can't get anything better for that budget.

Myrkul23

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks for the help. I'll definitely switch the ram. As for the antec sonata, I didn't think that supported a micro ATX motherboard. I wanted to go with micro, since it has onboard video and I do not need to play games or anything that would require a separate card.

Thanks for the help. I'll definitely switch the ram. As for the antec sonata, I didn't think that supported a micro ATX motherboard. I wanted to go with micro, since it has onboard video and I do not need to play games or anything that would require a separate card.

Every full size ATX case will also support mATX boards.

Edit: I agree with dozer on the recommended swap of the optical drive. $2 cheaper and it doesn't have the ever so pointless Lightscribe feature.

Mondoman

Splendid
... it doesn't have the ever so pointless Lightscribe feature.

Now, now. Lightscribe is handy for when you want to send CDs to the rels and have some idle time for your computer. Periodically, OfficeMax has the HP Lightscribe CD/DVD spindles on sale for $9.
Others with better handwriting than me may feel free to disagree...