Sign in with
Your question

My P5B doesnt support my IDE cd-rom, or does it?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • SATA
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
  • CD-Rom
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
August 10, 2006 7:33:07 PM

I ordered this motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... and I also ordered this cd-rom - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

I dont see any connectors for an IDE cdrom to be hooked up to my motherboard. It has one IDE labeled "PRI IDE", which is for the harddrive, but the only other connectors I see are SATA 1-4... Most cd drives are still IDE, so I thought I would be able to hook it up with no problem. Am I missing something here or do I have to try and find a cdrom that supports SATA?

Also.... My harddrive's interface is SATA, so I will not be using the "PRI IDE" connection for the hard drive. Could I use this for the cdrom or would that not be a wise thing to do? The cable that came with the mobo says HDD on it, which I am assuming means its for the harddrive, but would it be ok to use with my cdrom instead? Please help me!

More about : p5b doesnt support ide rom

August 10, 2006 7:49:47 PM

When you first boot your computer go into the BIOS and find where you can change the boot preference. Usually its
1. FLoppy
2. Cd-Rom
3. Hard Drive

All you have to do is change the order and have the hard drive priority over the CD drive. Also, if there is no bootable cd inthe CD drive then it will automatically go to the hard drive.
August 10, 2006 8:02:26 PM

I understand how to set boot preference and all, but I just wanted to make sure there is no problem with hooking up the "HDD" cable from the "PRI IDE" slot to my cdrom instead of a harddrive and then just have the harddrive hooked up to the SATA connectors. I just wanted to make sure nothing was going to blow up and whether or not its the same difference in cables, etc. Someone please confirm your experience and whether or not what I am suggesting is ok to do. Is there any problems with it?
Related resources
August 10, 2006 8:10:37 PM

There will be no problems. The "HDD" cable is the same as any 40/80 wire, 40 pin IDE cable as any other. The reason the connectors are the same is because the cables are electrically compatible and will cause no problems. They just put those lables on there for ease of labeling, but it is totally superflous. PRI IDE and (not on yours) SEC IDE are the same thing, just discovered at different times in the bios. On boards with two IDE slots, it makes no difference what is plugged in where. This is the same case here. You could even put a zip drive on there if you wanted. Any combination of two IDE drives will work on a two drive cable. You could even put a high speed RAM Drive on there!

Sorry, short answer: Yes, it will work. No, you will have no problems, including explosion. Yes, hook it up and set it as master. Yes, your computer will thank you for it.
August 10, 2006 8:31:23 PM

Does this mean that only a total of TWO IDE devices can be connected to the motherboard?
August 10, 2006 8:35:01 PM

That is correct. However it is possible to do more with some of these.

You may want to look for more than the 1 minute it took me to find this on newegg. I am confident that they have many different brands. I personally have a different syba model. I think it is like 15 or 20 bucks.

Sorry, again, short answer: ONLY TWO.
August 10, 2006 8:50:16 PM

Thank you for your help.. Luckily I only need to plug in one IDE device for now... So if I did ever get another IDE device, would I be able to plug the same IDE cord that is going to my cd rom into my other device or would it have to be another cd-rom drive? The cable that came with my mobo has 3 plugs, one goes into the mobo, and then theres two left.
August 10, 2006 8:53:53 PM

Yes, you would be able to. Anything at all. I recommend, however, getting all SATA things from now on. The reason for that is that they are about the same price now (with the exception of optical drives), and it makes a neater (as in cleaner) system.
August 12, 2006 1:17:47 PM

I just got my P5B D. I too found that the cable is labeled HDD... but thanks to my school/uni/A+ I knew that it's really just any old classic IDE cable and will work fine with a common optical drive.

Previously people had worried that because Intel pulled Ultra ATA out of the 965 that these boards would require a SATA optical drive. I can verify that's untrue. They've got the JMircon controller handling the Ultra ATA and yes you can boot from your Windows CD/DVDs.

The reason there aren't many more SATA CD/DVD drives kicking around is simply because the additional bandwidth offered by the SATA bus isn't going to be utilised by the current CD/DVDs drives. IMHO manufacturers don't see the worth in it yet. Perhaps it's cheaper for them to stick with Ultra ATA for the moment.
August 12, 2006 5:14:50 PM

That seems to be the consensus, but I still want a unified drive connection scheme, like we had (at least with the connectors) with all the iterations of ATA. But no worries. This sort of thing will come to pass eventually, its just the waiting that hurts.

BTW, does anyone know how much bandwidth that BR-DVD or HD-DVD will require? It seems like these sorts of drives may actually require the amount of bandwidth that SATA delivers, and if that is the case we should start seeing it being adopted for more optical drives sooner than later.
August 23, 2006 5:44:40 AM

Hey all, new to the forums. I have a problem with the set up that you guys mentioned above. I plugged in the dvd burner with the ide cable to the prim ide connector on the motherboard. The burner is master and the hard drive is sata. However i get a problem at every load thats says (obb0 : HL... burner name) error highlighted in green. It then says press any key to continue and works fine. I would like to know what this problem is and how to solve it. Thanks for any help.

AMC
August 23, 2006 1:39:41 PM

We need maybe a bit more information, such as motherboard maker, model, etc. Also, this is a topic for a new thread. You should start a new thread with this question if you really want it answered.

On a side note, did you check your boot order?
August 23, 2006 3:19:01 PM

Oh sry. I have the exact same motherboard, the asus P5B as the guy above was talking about. Oh ya I looked in bios and arranged to boot hardrive then cdrom then floppy. The dvd burner is set as master and there were some sata options that i didn't understand. I had to use the ide cable that came with the motherboard for the burner. Maybe the harddrive should stay as master and the burner as cable select. Maybe the two cant be set as master. Thanks for any help, if n e 1 needs more input please ask, i dont have that computer with me now but will get the information needed, thx.

AMC
August 23, 2006 5:19:11 PM

only 2 ide devices? i thought i can connect 2 dh's to the black "plug" and 2 optical drives to the blue one (or the other way around)
August 23, 2006 5:39:06 PM

Quote:
only 2 ide devices? i thought i can connect 2 dh's to the black "plug" and 2 optical drives to the blue one (or the other way around)

Normally that would be the case, but this particular one only has one IDE connector. There is a black floppy connector on it, and there is a red IDE connector.

@AMC
Don't mess with the jumper settings for the SATA HD. Those don't do the same things as the IDE drives. Just put them back to what they were before you messed with them and don't touch them again. There is no such thing as master/slave in consumer level SATA.

The optical drive that is giving you problems? Try setting it for cable select.
August 23, 2006 6:06:12 PM

lol sorry about the misunderstanding i thought the original post was refering to the p5w dh deluxe lol i must have clicked on the wrong link(im planning on geting that mobo, so i gues i might have have been checking that mobo in the time i read the post, lol my mistake ...sorry about it.
August 23, 2006 7:08:55 PM

This is my (common) experience of IDE. This is the version that appeared on most motherboards over the recent years (not sure if this accounts for all of them!)

IDE comes in two channels, cunningly named IDE1 and IDE2.

On each channel, it is possible to add two devices, dubbed 'master' and 'slave'. You tell each device which of these it will be assigned to via the use of 'jumpers' (small plastic-coated metal spacers that bridge contacts on the rear of the device).

The BIOS detects which devices are connected on the relevant IDE channels and whether they are 'master' or 'slave'. You can only have one of each per IDE channel.

For instance, if you had two IDE channels then on the ribbon cable for IDE1 you could assign your HDD as 'master', and then on the ribbon cable for IDE2 you could assign your CD-ROM as 'master'.

Generally, if you had more drives then you would set, for example, two HDD's on IDE 1 (one as 'master', one as 'slave'), and one HDD and one CD-ROM drive on IDE2 (again, one as 'master' and one as 'slave').

You get the idea.

With SATA, each drive is detected by the BIOS as a separate entity. It does not need to be assigned to a drive or configured as 'master' or 'slave'. Attaching devices to an available IDE channel will not effect this, your system should recognise both.

So, for your system, you would be fine connecting an SATA HDD and connecting your optical drive to the lone IDE channel. This is, in fact, exactly how my system is set up - and I had the exact same concerns because I had never configured a system with SATA before - I was used to dealing with IDE. In the end I just connected it all and it worked.

Some new motherboard only have one IDE channel (IDE1). This is because the majority of general-use hard drives use SATA now, and the boards are thus equipped with multiple SATA ports and the need for a second IDE channel is lessened. One IDE channel is there to accommodate two optical drives, and very few 'mainstream' systems would need more than this.

I hope this explains why you are fine to configure your system the way you originally suggested. Perhaps you already knew alot of this, but I was merely trying to be helpful in covering the issue in its entirety.

As for optical drives that support SATA, as far as I'm aware the only one available in most places is made by Plextor, and it is outperformed by their IDE optical drives!

Regards,

Dave.
August 23, 2006 7:41:06 PM

i have 2 ide hd's and implaning to use both in by build, (btw can i use i ide hd and one sata, in case i would need to get another hd), i also always conected 2 hd's on 1 ribbon(master slave jumpers), and the optical drives on the other ribon as secondaries)
August 23, 2006 10:02:38 PM

Hey thanks guys for the help, lol u guys know what ur talking about. I know of the concepts that were mentioned. I remember that when i plugged the 250 gig seagate 16mb cache harddrive, I first removed a jumper at the back that made the drive 1.5gb/s. With it removed it made the drive 3gb/s compatible. This information was on the harddrive [jumper (the way shown on the hard drive) would make it 1.5gb/s. I haven't tried cable select on the dvd burner yet but will try that. Hopefully it works. Someone mentioned to unplug the hard drive and see if the problem is still there with the burner. Also I dont understand how in the BIOS the Sata has so many options such as making it act as a primary ide or some achp (something like that; sry that computer is not with me right now). I will try cable select and then get back to you guys. Thanks to those who take the time to help out.

AMC
August 23, 2006 10:23:28 PM

btw if this was not mentioned before its important to place Your master drive on the end of the ribbon cable, and slave in the middle(middle connection) if im not mistaken.
August 23, 2006 11:43:33 PM

Quote:
btw if this was not mentioned before its important to place Your master drive on the end of the ribbon cable, and slave in the middle(middle connection) if im not mistaken.

You are correct.
August 24, 2006 3:06:10 AM

[/img]Hey,

I attached the cable to the burner as master and as cable select and the same boot up screen appears with the burner name. I unplugged the hard drive and the same screen shows up. The boot screen in the onboard raid and ide controller from JMicron. Is this boot screen suppose to be there or is it there because of a problem. Thanks for the replies.

AMC

ps. how do u add images? Thanks
August 24, 2006 3:09:57 AM

Is there anything else besides obb0 and then the drive name? this could help in the diagnosis of this problem (if indeed there is a problem).
August 24, 2006 3:58:30 AM

Ya I tried to import the image but failed before. Now I will try again.

Sry i had a hard time posting image. I had to upload it then post it. But there is the boot screen everytime the computer loads. Is this suppose to be like that everytime. Thanks again for the input elpresidente2075.

AMC
August 24, 2006 1:24:10 PM

It looks like you have a raid controller improperly configured. If you have SATA disks, and they are not in raid, set all the SATA controllers to IDE mode. What that screen is is the configuration screen for the RAID controller. It is odd to me that the DVD drive is showing up on there. In any case, it is not an error, and you should disable RAID so that your computer boots faster and requires less drivers.

At least I am fairly certain of this. Good job with the pic, by the way.
August 24, 2006 3:33:50 PM

Hello again,

Originally I did not think that it was a problem but it doesn't make sence. I have the harddrive connected to the red connectors on the motherboard and not the black raid one (says on mobo) at the bottom. In bios I set everything the way you mentioned and originally what I thought. Heres a few more pictures of the bios.

next;

and this;

If you have any more ideas what might be wrong it would be great to hear. Thanks again for the help.

P.S. N e 1 else reading this, do you get the same screen with this mobo? From he pic on the previous page?

AMC
August 24, 2006 10:39:01 PM

It seems that some dutch people have the same problem.

From what I could translate, your board may need a bios update. You can find instructions for that on Asus' website and also the download as well. Just make sure you are upgrading your bios to the latest one, otherwise it just won't work. Hope this helps!
August 25, 2006 1:51:48 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the advice again. I updated bios because I got the Ucode problem with the core2 duo processor. I will look into updating the JMicron again or sometin. I used the asus cd to install it but this is through bios. I will try to update that I guess. Thx for the help again.

AMC
August 25, 2006 1:57:27 AM

You should be able to click on the words that are underlined. Its a link. If you can't do that, do a "quote" style reply and copy the url from the tag that comes up. I will warn you: its in dutch... get a good translator to help you.
September 5, 2006 6:36:36 AM

AMC55555 I have the same trouble with my p5b deluxe. I have 2 hard drives connected to sata and two dvd-rw drives connected with the IDE cable. When my computer starts to boot I also see my 2 dvd-rw drives in the raid screen. I go into bios and see no mentions of the drives in the IDE area but I do see them in the boot preference screen. I have the latest bios update. I have tried everthing I can think of to get it correct. Did you get this worked out and if so how? Does anyone else know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.
September 5, 2006 11:01:24 PM

I have a similar set up on my P5B Deluxe wifo....2 sata hd's and 2 ide devices (CDROM and DVD). If you are not using raid, go to the control panel/remove programs and remove the "JRAID" app. Windows will recognize your IDE drives in just a few seconds and they will run much faster....
September 6, 2006 5:15:29 AM

I have already removed jraid from the add/remove programs. My 2 ide drives have always shown up in device manager. In device manager everything is auto detect basically with them and I can't change much there. Anyway what I am wondering is do both of your ide drives show up in bios anywhere so that you can check settings of them like slave, master, dma, ect. The only place in my bios I can see the drives is the in boot preference List. I am not sure maybe this is the way it is supposed to be? Any More help? Thank you.
September 14, 2006 9:09:12 PM

Has anybody resolved the weird problem of DVD drive not being recognised and, on boot up, its name appearing in green colour?

I have P5B, an IDE harddrive and DVD drive. I would like to reuse the harddrive and be able to boot up from it and DVD drive.

I placed these two on the same IDE cable. The system recoginsed the IDE harddrive but I can't get my DVD drive recognised by the system and working, i.e. get the machine booting from it.

Any help will be very much appreciated.
September 18, 2006 2:51:34 AM

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks for the advice again. I updated bios because I got the Ucode problem with the core2 duo processor. I will look into updating the JMicron again or sometin. I used the asus cd to install it but this is through bios. I will try to update that I guess. Thx for the help again.

AMC

AMC,

did you fix that 'ODD0' message during post? I have the same problem, DVD drive works normally though.

Thanks.
September 18, 2006 3:54:50 AM

hi, i have a p5w dh deluxe and i have the same problem, I gues asus just screwed up somewhere, the weird part for me was that i have the optical (atapi) drives conected to the black conector and teh hd's to the blue one(thats the only place where they are recognized) and all works fine, just do not disable jMicron drivers otherwise the pc wont recognize them in bios nor in windows(did it tired it...had to reinstall it lol) hopefully a new bios update will fix it, but if it works in windows just ignore it (like i am) and just now i have to find a way to just skip the first page the one that checks the hardware, i still dont know how to do so, if its possible to do it, so far i disabled teh asus's "opening screan" in the bios, but i dont know how to disable this one, btw does anyone know how can i configure my memory? i have a 800 ddr2 but it shows up as 533 (i think...in the boot screan), how can i change it to 800?

thx
September 20, 2006 9:08:07 PM

Quote:
Has anybody resolved the weird problem of DVD drive not being recognised and, on boot up, its name appearing in green colour?

I have P5B, an IDE harddrive and DVD drive. I would like to reuse the harddrive and be able to boot up from it and DVD drive.

I placed these two on the same IDE cable. The system recoginsed the IDE harddrive but I can't get my DVD drive recognised by the system and working, i.e. get the machine booting from it.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Are the Master/Slave jumper set correctly on both drive?
September 20, 2006 9:31:37 PM

Even if you remove the harddrive and have just DVD drive on the IDE ribbon, DVD drive alone, the IDE controller does not recognise it and gives a green line at boot up.

Looking at other forums, there is something to do with P5B having this glitch occasionally.
September 20, 2006 9:43:38 PM

Hi, the p5w dh deluxe also has issues, asus engineers must have "csrewed up" in the atapi non atapi recognition part, i did manage to conect 2 optical drives to the black connectore and 2 hd's to teh blue conectore and il all worked fine in windows, but the bios did not recognize the 2 optical drives, but since windows works fine with them I did not worry about it, but it is weird :wink:
September 20, 2006 9:48:31 PM

Quote:
Even if you remove the harddrive and have just DVD drive on the IDE ribbon, DVD drive alone, the IDE controller does not recognise it and gives a green line at boot up.

Looking at other forums, there is something to do with P5B having this glitch occasionally.

Did you check for firmware upgrade for the DVD drive? Is this a brand new drive or an older drive pull from another PC?
September 20, 2006 9:52:46 PM

Quote:

Did you check for fireware upgrade for the DVD drive? Is this a brand new drive or an older drive pull from another PC?

no. Do you mean buying some kind of adapter to plug my DVD into SATA sockets? My initial (naive) idea was to reuse a little bit of this IDE kit. But I am left with impression it is not an option, unless the motherboard turns out to have faulty IDE controller or BIOS does not like Pioneer DVD or Hitachy DVD drives.
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2006 10:30:06 PM

Quote:
Ya I tried to import the image but failed before. Now I will try again.

Sry i had a hard time posting image. I had to upload it then post it. But there is the boot screen everytime the computer loads. Is this suppose to be like that everytime. Thanks again for the input elpresidente2075.

AMC

Um, I hate to break this to you (or maybe I do :-) ), but this isn't an error. It's just the JMicron controller initializing and detecting the drives connected to it. "ODD0" isn't an error code, it stands for Optical Disc Drive 0 (if you have a slave drive there would be a "ODD1" too). If you have a hard drive connected, you'll see "HDD0" or "HDD1". ASUS didn't screw up, everybody.

If you've ever had an add-on controller card, it looks much the same. You get a BIOS script of whatever the controller is after the original POST followed by the connected drives that are detected. If you don't see your DVD drive in green, THEN there is a problem.

Now, if your DVD drive is not accessable in Windows, there might also be a problem. The JMicron controller covers the IDE port as well as 2 SATA/RAID ports (that's why you see the RAID reference on bootup). Some people have reported problems with IDE drives when selecting RAID or AHCI on the JMicron controller. This is because the RAID and AHCI options are only for the SATA ports that share the controller.

Anyway, to follow the lead of a previous poster: Short Answer = It's supposed to be there.

P.S. I have a P5B-Deluxe/WiFi and it does this too. If you want to use the JMicron controller, then you have to wait the extra 3 seconds for it to initialize.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2006 10:34:36 PM

DAVEUK Wrote:-
As for optical drives that support SATA, as far as I'm aware the only one available in most places is made by Plextor, and it is outperformed by their IDE optical drives!

There is also the Samsung SH-163A I've got one and you're it's no faster than my Sony IDE but an all SATA rig just looks so tidy :D  8) .
September 20, 2006 11:01:39 PM

Quote:
It looks like you have a raid controller improperly configured. If you have SATA disks, and they are not in raid, set all the SATA controllers to IDE mode. What that screen is is the configuration screen for the RAID controller. It is odd to me that the DVD drive is showing up on there. In any case, it is not an error, and you should disable RAID so that your computer boots faster and requires less drivers.

I don't think this is correct.... as far as I can tell the IDE controller does this no matter what the configuration is... I have the same thing happen (the status goes away after 5 seconds on its own) with my DVD-RW on the board. I think it is just how the controller works (you can't raid CD-Roms so the RAID part of the equation is out).
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2006 11:06:23 PM

Quote:

I don't think this is correct.... as far as I can tell the IDE controller does this no matter what the configuration is... I have the same thing happen (the status goes away after 5 seconds on its own) with my DVD-RW on the board. I think it is just how the controller works (you can't raid CD-Roms so the RAID part of the equation is out).

Alright! kamel5547 gets it! Now... everybody else read my last post. This isn't abnormal. All third party controllers need to POST like this to detect the drives. I'll admit though, the "Press any key" delay is rather annoying. I wonder if they will release a BIOS update that lets you select the time that is displayed.
September 20, 2006 11:37:50 PM

Sorry, typo on my part. I meant Firmware upgrade. If you know your drive model number, do s google search with the model number and "firmware" and there might be upgrade available.
!