seh264

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I'm planning on getting a new 19inch CRT monitor because I'm told that there are still no LCD monitors out there that can match a CRT monitor for gaming as far as Contrast, Resolution, and Smoothness. I also just purchased the x1900 crossfire that only has a DVI input.

So here are my questions....

Do all CRT monitor's use VGA output?

If so, does that mean it wouldn't be as sharp as an LCD monitor that uses a DVI connector?

Would using a VGA to DVI converter to plug my monitor into the DVI input on the graphics card be just as good as if the monitor had a DVI output to begin with?

Thanks in advance!! :lol:

somehack

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Yes, all CRT monitors have VGA inputs; that is analog.
DVI is a digital.
The premise is true; CRTs are superior in regard to Contrast, Resolution, and Smoothness through a VGA output.

DVI being newer technology and improvements in Response time on LCD monitors are pushing the envelope and are closing the gap. monitor tech guide

If you have the cash, I would go with a LCD that has the highest response available and DVI out on your new graphics card.

seh264

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Yes, all CRT monitors have VGA inputs; that is analog.
DVI is a digital.
The premise is true; CRTs are superior in regard to Contrast, Resolution, and Smoothness through a VGA output.

DVI being newer technology and improvements in Response time on LCD monitors are pushing the envelope and are closing the gap. monitor tech guide

If you have the cash, I would go with a LCD that has the highest response available and DVI out on your new graphics card.

Why would you go with an LCD even though CRT is superior to it in all aspects? Space is not an issue with me, I have more than enough room on my desk.

somehack

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
In my opinion DVI is better and clearer on the LCD given you have a fast enough response rate full motion video is possible. Follow the monitor tech guide link and read up on it.

GherkinPekul

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I have the deskspace, and I'm cheap. That's why I went with CRT. I got a great 19" monitor for about half the cost of a comparable LCD. It looks great using the dvi to vga adapter. It's really a matter of personal preference. Use what you like.