Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cleaning HP 1220c advice and help

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 21, 2005 6:58:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I have an HP 1220c that is almost 5 years old. When I moved, I tipped it in
my vehicle and ink poured out of the printer. I contacted HP and was told
that the ink came from a collection well and tipping it was not the thing to
do. Now I have a good printer that has ink all through out it and can't use
it. HP wants almost the cost of a new one to clean it. Can I clean it? I
have had experience with printers in the past. HP will not send me a servce
manual or instructions. Is it normal to have ink leak out of a printer when
tipped? Where can I get disassembly and assembly/internal cleaning
instructions? Or is it hopeless?

Thanks for any help.

Andie Z

More about : cleaning 1220c advice

June 21, 2005 9:56:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Andie
Firstly, the service station in this printer does collect waste ink and if is
tipped up the ink will often do exactly what you describe. It can be cleaned; I
suggest you look for a manual from www.manuals4you.com or use google to search
for a supplier of the manual. This printer is well worth the effort. If you
prefer you could try an independant printer repairer, time to clean the printer
will depend how far the ink has spread. If you do it yourself make sure you
clean out the service station when you clean the inside of the printer.
Tony

"Andie Z" <andiez@notrealverizon.net> wrote:
>I have an HP 1220c that is almost 5 years old. When I moved, I tipped it in
>my vehicle and ink poured out of the printer. I contacted HP and was told
>that the ink came from a collection well and tipping it was not the thing to
>do. Now I have a good printer that has ink all through out it and can't use
>it. HP wants almost the cost of a new one to clean it. Can I clean it? I
>have had experience with printers in the past. HP will not send me a servce
>manual or instructions. Is it normal to have ink leak out of a printer when
>tipped? Where can I get disassembly and assembly/internal cleaning
>instructions? Or is it hopeless?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Andie Z
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 21, 2005 11:43:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Free downloadable service manuals are available from this site.
http://fileshare.eshop.bg/downloadsm/8923/HP_DeskJet%20...
--
Ron

"Andie Z" <andiez@notrealverizon.net> wrote in message
news:hWVte.3072$PZ6.2161@trndny08...
>I have an HP 1220c that is almost 5 years old. When I moved, I tipped it
>in
> my vehicle and ink poured out of the printer. I contacted HP and was told
> that the ink came from a collection well and tipping it was not the thing
> to
> do. Now I have a good printer that has ink all through out it and can't
> use
> it. HP wants almost the cost of a new one to clean it. Can I clean it?
> I
> have had experience with printers in the past. HP will not send me a
> servce
> manual or instructions. Is it normal to have ink leak out of a printer
> when
> tipped? Where can I get disassembly and assembly/internal cleaning
> instructions? Or is it hopeless?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Andie Z
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 22, 2005 3:54:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Dats nice

Ron Cohen wrote:

>Free downloadable service manuals are available from this site.
>http://fileshare.eshop.bg/downloadsm/8923/HP_DeskJet%20...
>
>

Ron "Andie Z" <andiez@notrealverizon.net> wrote in message
news:hWVte.3072$PZ6.2161@trndny08...

>>I have an HP 1220c that is almost 5 years old. When I moved, I tipped it
>>in
>> my vehicle and ink poured out of the printer. I contacted HP and was told
>> that the ink came from a collection well and tipping it was not the thing
>> to
>> do. Now I have a good printer that has ink all through out it and can't
>> use
>> it. HP wants almost the cost of a new one to clean it. Can I clean it?
>> I
>> have had experience with printers in the past. HP will not send me a
>> servce
>> manual or instructions. Is it normal to have ink leak out of a printer
>> when
>> tipped? Where can I get disassembly and assembly/internal cleaning
>> instructions? Or is it hopeless?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Andie Z
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 22, 2005 4:19:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

All inkjet printers have to clean and purge the heads to keep them from
clogging and to maintain the printing quality.

That ink has to go somewhere, and all the printers of all brands have a
waste ink storage system of some type. Some use a container or area
within the printer body, most use "diapers" which absorb it, all can
leak if the printer is positioned incorrectly or they overflow.

In my opinion, the designs used are flawed. Laser printers either have
a bottle or hopper of some type that stores the waste toner which is
removed from the drum after each page is printed. This can be either
emptied, replaced, or comes out with the toner cartridge (it's a space
within the cartridge which is filled).

In one Epson printer (the PictureMate), the waste ink is pumped into a
special chamber in the ink cartridge, but to my knowledge, that's the
only inkjet doing that. Most inkjet companies seem to think that people
will toss the printer before the waste ink area gets filled, or they can
pay for a service call when it does do so.

I think this is totally the wrong approach. The cost of a new design
may add slightly to the cost the printer, but it could be designed so
the ink was stored in a bottle with a no spill top, which was accessible
to the user and could be replaced or emptied. I am now encouraging
people to retrofit their printers to bring the waste ink outside of the
printer and into some type of container. In general, the process isn't
that complex, but every printer is different and it may involve taking
the printer apart so I can't provide instructions, but people may wish
to pursue it with their model and see if someone has come up with the
fix for it on the web somewhere.

I am not naive enough not to recognize one of the reasons the
manufacturer don't redesign, besides wishing to reduce the life span of
their printers, so you have to buy a new one, is because no manufacturer
wants the end user to realize how much of that $1,000 a liter (not a
documented number, so please don't ask me for references) ink is ending
up in the diapers of the printer and ultimately into the garbage.

To me, this is one of those situations that is truly without ANY ethical
base.

1) The manufacturer's charge a fortune for the ink
2) The design of the heads make it necessary to waste a lot of that ink
to keep the printer working
3) The waste ink can limit the life of the printer, as the printer may
stop working once a certain amount of ink is dumped into the waste
system, and the cost of renewing these is often too high to justify
having it done
4) There is no safe method of disposing of the ink because it becomes
integral to the printer, so if you dump the printer, the waste ink goes
with it. Also, since there is no way to store the waste ink as a
separate entity, no system has been implemented to allow for proper
disposal of the inks. Some of the inks have components (especially the
pigments) which can be considered environmentally hazardous. Currently
when the whole printer can end up in the landfill, filled with waste ink
which leaks out of it.

Now, as to your actual issue. Yes, chances are you can clean your
printer up, but it will tend to be a messy process and you will
certainly need to at least remove the case to do it and maybe also
dismantle other assemblies. I would say you would be safer to have a
service manual available to determine how to do it.

Lastly, I would suggest that if the instruction manual makes no mention
of the fact that the printer must be moved in a certain position once it
has been in use or damage will occur, that the manufacturer has been
negligent, and you may have a valid ethical, if not legal case.

Art


Andie Z wrote:

> I have an HP 1220c that is almost 5 years old. When I moved, I tipped it in
> my vehicle and ink poured out of the printer. I contacted HP and was told
> that the ink came from a collection well and tipping it was not the thing to
> do. Now I have a good printer that has ink all through out it and can't use
> it. HP wants almost the cost of a new one to clean it. Can I clean it? I
> have had experience with printers in the past. HP will not send me a servce
> manual or instructions. Is it normal to have ink leak out of a printer when
> tipped? Where can I get disassembly and assembly/internal cleaning
> instructions? Or is it hopeless?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Andie Z
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 22, 2005 4:40:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> All inkjet printers have to clean and purge the heads to keep them
> from clogging and to maintain the printing quality.
>
> That ink has to go somewhere, and all the printers of all brands have a
> waste ink storage system of some type. Some use a container or area
> within the printer body, most use "diapers" which absorb it, all can
> leak if the printer is positioned incorrectly or they overflow.
>
> In my opinion, the designs used are flawed. Laser printers either
> have a bottle or hopper of some type that stores the waste toner which
> is removed from the drum after each page is printed. This can be
> either emptied, replaced, or comes out with the toner cartridge (it's
> a space within the cartridge which is filled).
>
> In one Epson printer (the PictureMate), the waste ink is pumped into a
> special chamber in the ink cartridge, but to my knowledge, that's the
> only inkjet doing that. Most inkjet companies seem to think that
> people will toss the printer before the waste ink area gets filled, or
> they can pay for a service call when it does do so.
>
> I think this is totally the wrong approach. The cost of a new design
> may add slightly to the cost the printer, but it could be designed so
> the ink was stored in a bottle with a no spill top, which was
> accessible to the user and could be replaced or emptied. I am now
> encouraging people to retrofit their printers to bring the waste ink
> outside of the printer and into some type of container. In general,
> the process isn't that complex, but every printer is different and it
> may involve taking the printer apart so I can't provide instructions,
> but people may wish to pursue it with their model and see if someone
> has come up with the fix for it on the web somewhere.
>
> I am not naive enough not to recognize one of the reasons the
> manufacturer don't redesign, besides wishing to reduce the life span
> of their printers, so you have to buy a new one, is because no
> manufacturer wants the end user to realize how much of that $1,000 a
> liter (not a documented number, so please don't ask me for references)
> ink is ending up in the diapers of the printer and ultimately into the
> garbage.
>
> To me, this is one of those situations that is truly without ANY
> ethical base.
>
> 1) The manufacturer's charge a fortune for the ink
> 2) The design of the heads make it necessary to waste a lot of that
> ink to keep the printer working
> 3) The waste ink can limit the life of the printer, as the printer may
> stop working once a certain amount of ink is dumped into the waste
> system, and the cost of renewing these is often too high to justify
> having it done
> 4) There is no safe method of disposing of the ink because it becomes
> integral to the printer, so if you dump the printer, the waste ink
> goes with it. Also, since there is no way to store the waste ink as a
> separate entity, no system has been implemented to allow for proper
> disposal of the inks. Some of the inks have components (especially
> the pigments) which can be considered environmentally hazardous.
> Currently when the whole printer can end up in the landfill, filled
> with waste ink which leaks out of it.


Sounds like they are pretty smart.

>
> Now, as to your actual issue. Yes, chances are you can clean your
> printer up, but it will tend to be a messy process and you will
> certainly need to at least remove the case to do it and maybe also
> dismantle other assemblies. I would say you would be safer to have a
> service manual available to determine how to do it.
>
> Lastly, I would suggest that if the instruction manual makes no
> mention of the fact that the printer must be moved in a certain
> position once it has been in use or damage will occur, that the
> manufacturer has been negligent, and you may have a valid ethical, if
> not legal case.
>
> Art


Yeh. And try to collect.

>
>
> Andie Z wrote:
>
>> I have an HP 1220c that is almost 5 years old. When I moved, I
>> tipped it in
>> my vehicle and ink poured out of the printer. I contacted HP and was
>> told
>> that the ink came from a collection well and tipping it was not the
>> thing to
>> do. Now I have a good printer that has ink all through out it and
>> can't use
>> it. HP wants almost the cost of a new one to clean it. Can I clean
>> it? I
>> have had experience with printers in the past. HP will not send me a
>> servce
>> manual or instructions. Is it normal to have ink leak out of a
>> printer when
>> tipped? Where can I get disassembly and assembly/internal cleaning
>> instructions? Or is it hopeless?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Andie Z
>>
>>
June 22, 2005 4:40:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:


>
>
> Sounds like they are pretty smart.

Sounds like the morons who support them by purchasing their branded ink
carts are pretty stupid.
Frank
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 22, 2005 11:31:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>
>>
>>
>> Sounds like they are pretty smart.
>
>
> Sounds like the morons who support them by purchasing their branded
> ink carts are pretty stupid.
> Frank


Go Jerk Off.
June 22, 2005 12:37:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

measekite wrote:

>
>
> Go Jerk Off.

You have real problems don't you mesershit. Got to your room in the
basement and stay there.
I'll tell your mommy you've been a bad boy/girl/thing.
Frank
Anonymous
a b α HP
June 22, 2005 9:00:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Go Jerk Off.
>
>
> You have real problems don't you mesershit. Got to your room in the
> basement and stay there.
> I'll tell your my you've been a bad stud.
> Frank


My My :-X
!