browser starts automatically upon start up

After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the desktop to
launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and return to
desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which I am
suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want to see
my desktop upon turning the computer on.
4 answers Last reply
More about browser starts automatically start

    "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the desktop
    > launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and return
    > desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
    > Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which I
    am
    > suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want to
    see
    > my desktop upon turning the computer on.

    The going to a specific web site suggests that spyware may be the problem
    here; it just happened to be coincidental with the SP-2 download. Download
    and run the following Spyware clean-up programs; the first three and Pest
    Patrol are free (One may ask for a donation--your choice.):

    adaware

    spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

    cwshredder http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

    spyware blaster http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693

    hijackthis
    http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html

    Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
    http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html

    Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
    http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp

    For some other useful removal tools

    Also do a full virus scan.

    What one doesn't get, the others should.

    Malv

    Okay, I did what you have sugested but I still am being directed to teh same
    web site. Any other ideas and thank you for your help thus far.

    "Malvern" wrote:

    > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the desktop
    > > launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and return
    > > desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
    > > Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which I
    > am
    > > suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want to
    > see
    > > my desktop upon turning the computer on.
    >
    > The going to a specific web site suggests that spyware may be the problem
    > here; it just happened to be coincidental with the SP-2 download. Download
    > and run the following Spyware clean-up programs; the first three and Pest
    > Patrol are free (One may ask for a donation--your choice.):
    >
    > adaware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    >
    > spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
    >
    > cwshredder http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
    >
    > spyware blaster http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693
    >
    > hijackthis
    > http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html
    >
    > Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
    > http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html
    >
    > Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
    > http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp
    >

    > For some other useful removal tools
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >
    > Also do a full virus scan.
    >
    > What one doesn't get, the others should.
    >
    > Malv

    Only other thing I can think of (and almost suggested in first post) is to
    check your Startup folders for a shortcut to IE. I never experienced this,
    but it is possible a shortcut could be located in one which can have
    direction to a specific webpage, like what they do in Favorites. Other
    ideas out there ? This is all I can come up with; an MVP I ain't.

    Malv

    > Okay, I did what you have sugested but I still am being directed to teh
    same
    > web site. Any other ideas and thank you for your help thus far.
    >
    > "Malvern" wrote:
    >

    > > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the
    desktop
    > > > launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and
    return
    > > > desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
    > > > Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which
    > > am
    > > > suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want
    > > see
    > > > my desktop upon turning the computer on.
    > >
    > > The going to a specific web site suggests that spyware may be the
    problem
    > > here; it just happened to be coincidental with the SP-2 download.
    Download
    > > and run the following Spyware clean-up programs; the first three and
    Pest
    > > Patrol are free (One may ask for a donation--your choice.):
    > >
    > > adaware
    > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > >
    > > spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
    > >
    > > cwshredder http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
    > >
    > > spyware blaster http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693
    > >
    > > hijackthis
    > > http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html
    > >
    > > Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
    > > http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html
    > >
    > > Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
    > > http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp
    > >

    > > For some other useful removal tools
    > > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    > >
    > > Also do a full virus scan.
    > >
    > > What one doesn't get, the others should.
    > >
    > > Malv

    That was it! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I found it, deleted it and
    all is as it should be. You're a good person ... I would buy you lunch if I
    could!

Desktops Browsers Computers Windows XP