browser starts automatically upon start up

Charlie

After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the desktop to
launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and return to
desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which I am
suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want to see
my desktop upon turning the computer on.

"Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the desktop
> launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and return
> desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
> Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which I
am
> suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want to
see
> my desktop upon turning the computer on.

The going to a specific web site suggests that spyware may be the problem
here; it just happened to be coincidental with the SP-2 download. Download
and run the following Spyware clean-up programs; the first three and Pest
Patrol are free (One may ask for a donation--your choice.):

adaware

spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

cwshredder http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download

spyware blaster http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693

hijackthis
http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html

Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp

For some other useful removal tools

Also do a full virus scan.

What one doesn't get, the others should.

Malv

Charlie

Okay, I did what you have sugested but I still am being directed to teh same
web site. Any other ideas and thank you for your help thus far.

"Malvern" wrote:

> "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the desktop
> > launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and return
> > desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
> > Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which I
> am
> > suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want to
> see
> > my desktop upon turning the computer on.
>
> The going to a specific web site suggests that spyware may be the problem
> here; it just happened to be coincidental with the SP-2 download. Download
> and run the following Spyware clean-up programs; the first three and Pest
> Patrol are free (One may ask for a donation--your choice.):
>
> adaware
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
>
> spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
>
> cwshredder http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
>
> spyware blaster http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693
>
> hijackthis
> http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html
>
> Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
> http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html
>
> Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
> http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp
>

> For some other useful removal tools
> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
>
> Also do a full virus scan.
>
> What one doesn't get, the others should.
>
> Malv

Only other thing I can think of (and almost suggested in first post) is to
check your Startup folders for a shortcut to IE. I never experienced this,
but it is possible a shortcut could be located in one which can have
direction to a specific webpage, like what they do in Favorites. Other
ideas out there ? This is all I can come up with; an MVP I ain't.

Malv

> Okay, I did what you have sugested but I still am being directed to teh
same
> web site. Any other ideas and thank you for your help thus far.
>
> "Malvern" wrote:
>

> > "Charlie" <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > After i downloaded SP2 when I turn on my computer it goes from the
desktop
> > > launching my browser to a web site. When i close the web site and
return
> > > desktop and launch browser it goes to my home page as set in Internet
> > > Options. I have looked at msconfig startup tab but can't figure which
> > am
> > > suppose to uncheck ... if that is where the problem is. I just want
> > see
> > > my desktop upon turning the computer on.
> >
> > The going to a specific web site suggests that spyware may be the
problem
> > here; it just happened to be coincidental with the SP-2 download.
Download
> > and run the following Spyware clean-up programs; the first three and
Pest
> > Patrol are free (One may ask for a donation--your choice.):
> >
> > adaware
> > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
> >
> > spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
> >
> > cwshredder http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
> >
> > spyware blaster http://www.webattack.com/dlnow/rdir.dll?id=105693
> >
> > hijackthis
> > http://computercops.biz/article-5199-nested-0-0.html
> >
> > Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
> > http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10247783.html
> >
> > Pest Patrol Free Pest Scanner
> > http://www.pestscan.com/ScanOrTrial.asp
> >

> > For some other useful removal tools
> > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
> >
> > Also do a full virus scan.
> >
> > What one doesn't get, the others should.
> >
> > Malv

Charlie

That was it! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I found it, deleted it and
all is as it should be. You're a good person ... I would buy you lunch if I
could!