Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
ok my specs r:

s939
480W Xilence ATX2.0 PSU
asus a8n-vm csm
x2 3800
1 stick of corsair 1gb value ram
integrated 6150 graphics(was gona wait for dx10 and 8th gen nvidias but getting a 7600gt soon)
1x200gb maxtor SATA
1x 80gb excelstor IDE
Happauge tv card
1xdvd-rom drive
1x dvd-rw
1xfloppy drive

i plan on o'c it to about 2.4 if i can since thts how high the fsb goes on this board(unfortunetly)

the thing is, acc. to ASUS PC Probe II, my temps are:
CPU - 28C
MB - 30C
PWR 28C
CPU FAN SPEED - 3183RPM

i have this case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811146016
it is great but a bit loud

my comps been on for about 6hrs today and ive been installing programs and trying 2 get bf2 to work(keeps freezing, dont even make it to EA logo) so i dont expect the temps to be high, but does my cpu temp not seem low? could the readings be faulty? also, cool and quiet is disabled and my case temp is 31.4C.

if u need anymore info, just ask(i think ive provided enough anyway)

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Those temps look about right. My CPU idles at around 28C, and its based on the old 130nm process. Sometimes, sensors can be a little of on temps, but yours seem accurate enough.

You should enable Cool and Quiet tho, as you'll save energy and produce less heat.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
thanks, i just needed to check it out. i assumed it would be higher as it was dual-core. ive been video encoding for the past hour and its risen and average around 38C so i know my min/max now.

i used to have cool and quiet enabled but disabled it for 2 reasons.
1. was that i wanted to see the cpu temps without it enabled because word on the street is when u o'c it cannot be enabled
and 2. i thot it could have been contributing to my system freezing quite alot, turns out tht it was mce 2005, thankfully im back to good ol' xp nowadays

thanks for your help

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
No problem. If you want to take extra precautions, you should, if you already haven't, enable the CPU shutdown temp. I hope that system overclocks well. Good luck.

EDIT: grammer

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
i had to reinstall windows recently because of problems and my temps have increased.

they used to be:
CPU - 28C idle
MB - 30C
PWR 28C
CPU FAN SPEED - 3183RPM

but now:
CPU - 35C idle
MB - 34C
PWR 32C
CPU FAN SPEED - 2164RPM

from this all i can see that the cpu fan has slowed down which would explain the cpu temp increase. i never set the fan speed in the first place, so i dont know how to change it back to 3183rpm. i was thinkin about getting a fan controller is this a good idea??

also, i realised my ht was 800mhz so knocked it up to 100mhz where it should be, system is still stable.

i have two other case fans but they are connected via molex connectors so their speeds couldnt have dropped( i dont think so anyway) my system stills sounds as loud as always!

thanks

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
You probably have the fan control in the BIOS activated. Really though, those aren't bad temps. I mean, your CPU idles below human body temp for crying out loud.

When your PC is under load, does the CPU fan speed increase? If so, and you don't like it, go to your BIOS and turn of the fan control feature. I personally like it since at idle my CPU fan doesn't even turn on, but it's your preference.

I can't tell from the case pic, but how is the side fan oriented? It looks like it has a filter/grill, so make sure it's an intake, which will help with temps. And you can always upgrade that exhaust 80mm fan too...

Also, what errors did you get? If you're using that ValueRAM, it will NOT OC very well unless you use that RAM divider...

And what utilities have you used to check stability? Memtest86, CPU-Z, Prime95, and Super PI are great tools.