b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I've got some knowledge on how a PC works but I've never built a system from scratch. However, I'm tired of the POS comp's that I've bought in the past (from Compaq and Dell). The one from Dell wouldn't even let me use and AGP video card, it had only PCI slots on the motherboard.

SO...I want to expand my knowledge a bit and build my own PC. Primary use will be gaming, especially MMO's with some FPSers on the side. I play around a little with photo editors, but am not too concerned for storage space as I don't do any heavy downloading. Ideally, I'd like to build something that I won't have to touch for 3 years and still be able to play everything with all the bells and whistles. I can fork up ~$2000 for everything.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Search the forum for someone in a similar situation or ideally pick some stuff you like and then you can get some suggestions on improvements.

Ask yourself what feature you'd want to see in your next Dell and then pick out the components on newegg etc...

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
well im bored so ill give you somethin to work with

get a core2 duo e6600 (it is downright awesome

get 2gb of corsair ddr2 xms with the 444 timings

there are a few decent mobos, others can advise you here

x1900xt

antec p180 case

get a good psu from antec fsp seasonic (name brand)

i dont really think you need a soundcard but the auzentech xplosion always works or creative xfi

for the hdds get a sata around 320 gig (best space/price ratio right now)

overall it sounds like you havent bought a computer lately, as your needs could proably be met at around 900$ things like the e6600 that fit in 2000$ budgets are great but you can get much better VALUE in a 900$ system

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I've got some knowledge on how a PC works but I've never built a system from scratch. However, I'm tired of the POS comp's that I've bought in the past (from Compaq and Dell). The one from Dell wouldn't even let me use and AGP video card, it had only PCI slots on the motherboard.

SO...I want to expand my knowledge a bit and build my own PC. Primary use will be gaming, especially MMO's with some FPSers on the side. I play around a little with photo editors, but am not too concerned for storage space as I don't do any heavy downloading. Ideally, I'd like to build something that I won't have to touch for 3 years and still be able to play everything with all the bells and whistles. I can fork up ~$2000 for everything.

Just so you know you won't be able to build a computer that will play new games in 3 years with all the bells and whistles, especially since DX10 is expected out next year. But that will only need a video card update.

A few pointers.

-Get core2duo the 6600 is nice.
-Motherboard: Asus, gigibyte and Intel are making some nice ones.
-Get at least 2gb of ram, make sure it's 2 x 1gb so you can buy another set later for 4gb (vista). corsair, OCZ, Mushkin.
-Get a decent but not too expensive video card so that you can upgrade when DX10 is out (7600gt is ok)
-Case is very personal but I prefer to stick to Antec, Lian Li, Thermaltake, Coolermaster or Silverstone.
-Get a good psu, 500w is more than enough for most. Enermax, Antec, Seasonic, Silverstone... I also hear that OCZ is good.
-For hdd's I'd suggest 2, if you can afford it get a 74 gb raptor for OS and programs and a 320gb for data.
-Sound card, x-fi xtreme music.

Save the money you don't spend for a kick @ss video card next year.

b29

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I haven't really bought or looked much since I bought the Dell 2 years ago. It was fine for most of the RTS and FPSers I played, but it just wasn't cutting it for MMO's now that I'm getting into them.

Since it seems my budget is overkill (good to know, I don't mind saving a few $$), which parts do I get top of the line? I'm hazarding a guess that processor, mobo, and RAM should get top dollar and I shouldn't need to concern myself with upgrading them anytime soon.

Games are getting outrages graphics now a days, disappointed but not surprised I'll have to up the Graphics card in the future. In all honesty, I've been playing with sub-20 frames per second. So I'd be happy with anything that doesn't drop below 30-35fps for most games. Was wishfull thinking that I wouldn't have to do anything for 3 years.

I'm flying home tonight (been on vacation) so I'll look around and post a sample build on what I find tomorrow. Appreciate the advice.

aj6065

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
On waylander's note:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Case: Antec P180

Power Supply: Antec Truepower 550W

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Optical Drive: NEC ND-3550A

Total before taxes and shipping: $1238.93

Use the rest of your $2000 budget to buy a kick ass DX 10 card once they come out.

That pretty much nails it for the most part, especially the DX10 video card advice. I personally prefer Corsair RAM over other brands, however. And that motherboard doesn't have the best reviews out there right now. If you're not buying the stuff right now, wait and shop around for a little better motherboard. And most importantly.... stay away from multiple video card setups.

MindFlare327

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I got some ideas by building a computer on www.cyberpowerpc.com and www.alienware.com and took those components I used on those sites and looked them up on www.newegg.com. Changed a few things around here and there, but it was a good start for me since I had no experience building a computer.