HP Print Problems

Hi,
Can someone please tell me what might be wrong with my printer?
I have a HP LaserJet 1200 and I am now getting a smudge line one inch in
from the left hand side on about 1 in 7 sheets. It goes all the way down the
page and in fact most pages now are printed with black marks in that area of
the page.

I have changed the Toner but that makes now difference.
Cheers in advance,
Lenny

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Lenny
If changing the toner didn't fix it then the likely cause is a failing fuser.
Could be a buildup of toner on the fuser roller or it could be that the fuser
his coming to the end of it's life unfortunately. Your post indicates it has
slowly got worse and that is another habit of fuser failure.

You could try two things first.

Remove the toner cartridge and ensure that there is no toner lying around in
the printer, if so remove it carefully with a soft dry cloth and see if that
fixes it.

Look at the transfer charge roller underneath where the toner cartridge sits,
long grey softish roller, don't touch it with your fingers or you may leave a
trace of skin oil which will damage it. If it is marked in the same place as
the marks on your print then it needs cleaning or replacing. This is not a very
likely cause. To clean it, rotate it using the gear at one end and rub gently
with a soft dry lint free cloth (a piece of polyurethane packaging works quite
well also, but be careful not to leave bits on the roller).

The problem is unlikely to be the laser optics because if they are marked there
would be missing portions on the page rather than marks.

If it is the fuser you need to remove it and examine it to see if there is a
corresponding mark on one of the rollers, you would need to get hold of a
manual to do this right.
Good luck
Tony