World Fastest PC

Windss

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Hi All:
My manager wants me to build the world fastest PC, or something close to it. He did say money is not an object (for now :)
Can anyone help me out putting the specifications, like what CPU, Mem, Motherboard, Case, Fan (cooling)....etc

Is there any company (vendor) already doing this?

Many thanks

Andy

Windss

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Hi All:
My manager wants me to build the world fastest PC, or something close to it. He did say money is not an object (for now :)
Can anyone help me out putting the specifications, like what CPU, Mem, Motherboard, Case, Fan (cooling)....etc

Is there any company (vendor) already doing this?

Many thanks

Andy

Windss

Not sure about the fastest. The second fastest is named Deep Thought. Dont know eher you could buy the components though, sorry

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Windess forget about this "Dual Core" stupidity. Stick with a Pentium 4 "Prescott" with Hyperthreading and Add some LN2. And clock it to 10Ghz That's The Worlds fastest, Handsdown!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Windess forget about this "Dual Core" stupidity. Stick with a Pentium 4 "Prescott" with Hyperthreading and Add some LN2. And clock it to 10Ghz That's The Worlds fastest, Handsdown!

:lol: Gee, how long with that 10Ghz last?

Windss

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
What's it for?

Do laugh, but its just for regular office usage: word, excel, Outlook, and some video editing, maybe some programming...
But, he's the boss, and he will get what he wants. He's also pretty savy when it comes to hardware. But he just don't have the time to do it himself

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
and another to watch your flying windows screensaver... :twisted: :wink:

You got flying windows? Man, I'm still on toasters. :cry:

No... i've only heard about em on tv, i've got a red circle that spins quickly in the middle of the screen... however, since its a circle, you can't tell its spinning :cry:

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
and another to watch your flying windows screensaver... :twisted: :wink:

You got flying windows? Man, I'm still on toasters. :cry:

No... i've only heard about em on tv, i've got a red circle that spins quickly in the middle of the screen... however, since its a circle, you can't tell its spinning :cry:

LOL i love it, its a circle so you can't tell its spinning!

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Ya i know... next time i upgrade my screensaver, i'm going with a spinning square, or maybe a triangle, havn't decided. Problem is if anything spins fast enough, it looks like a circle. :cry:

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Ya i know... next time i upgrade my screensaver, i'm going with a spinning square, or maybe a triangle, havn't decided. Problem is if anything spins fast enough, it looks like a circle. :cry:

After a while, my screensaver turns into a black sphere, revolving and bouncing across a black background. My green monitor light even turns orange to let me know it's running. 8)

World's fastest in what? There are many "world's fastest" metrics for computers. Since we're talking personal computers, I'll assume that if it can fit in a tower case (ATX or EATX) and can run Winderz, it's a PC.

1. Fastest clock speed:
-> Get a Pentium D 965 or a Pentium 4 671 Cedar Mill and put that sucker on water, Peltier, or phase change cooling. Overclock to around 5 GHz as that is very fast and will have at least a minimal lifespan.

2. Fastest in single-threaded application benchmarks:
-> Get a Core 2 Duo X6800 and overclock on water to about 3.5 GHz.

3. Fastest in multi-threaded application benchmarks:
-> Put two 3.00 Woodcrest Xeons or Opteron 290SEs on an ATX or EATX motherboard. The choice of Intel or AMD will vary with the application- Optys are better at server-type applications and the Xeon is better at most other things. Overclock if you wish, but DP servers are not as friendly to overclock if the board even permits it.

4. Most FLOPS:
-> Two 3.00 Woodcrests should do the trick.

5. Best GPU performance:
-> Get a decent motherboard that supports two x16 PCIe slots in SLi. The NVIDIA NForce 570 SLi, 590 SLi and NF4 SLi x32 fit the bill. Put two GeForce 7950GX2 boards in the slots, giving you four GPUs. The CPU choice does not matter that much- something like an Athlon 64 3000+ should keep the GPUs fed, especially at high resolutions.

6. Best overall performance
-> Put a pair of 150GB Raptors in RAID 1 on a reasonably good motherboard. The choice of CPU does not matter too too much- a Conroe E6700 or an Athlon X2 5000+ would be enough, I think. Put a X1900XTX or a 7900GT in the graphics slot. Put 2GB of good RAM in the system and make sure to go through MSCONFIG.EXE and pare down the useless startup services from the Windows installation to speed responsiveness and bootup speed. Your boss will see that this is a very fast system and be quite happy with its performance in office apps. The hard drive speed and RAM size is really the kicker- if you need more speed, you can RAID 0 those HDDs (I would not recommend it) or pull out the big guns and drop a couple of 15K SCSI drives in there. XP really only likes 2, maybe 3GB RAM, so unless he is using Linux or something, more than 2GB RAM is not going to help.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

:lol: Gee, how long with that 10Ghz last?

10 minutes, if you're lucky.

Anyhow, the Mac Pro looks amazing, however, you said that you wanted the world's fastest PC.

baladorr

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If you are looking to stroke his hardware ego, you might want to look into a purpose built RAM drive. I believe two of those were recently featured on tomshardware a while back, maybe a year or 6 months?