Sign in with
Your question

Online File Storage

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
August 10, 2006 11:05:43 PM

Anybody know some great online file storage options for free?

More about : online file storage

August 10, 2006 11:30:40 PM

I'm fairly sure there aren't any. Now if you are asking for image hosting, I am fairly certain that there are many options that the users of this forum could inform you about.
August 11, 2006 1:14:45 PM

The Google God's say otherwise, check box.net. I believe there are many file storage\hosting sites similar to rapidshare, only with ftps and https access.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 25, 2008 5:46:31 PM

you should carefully choose you online file storage service!

First of all, you must think about a high security. That’s the main reason why you are backing up. The service must provide a minimum of 128-bit Secured Socket Layer (SSL) security to encrypt the data (256-bit is ideal). Files have to be kept private and not be indexed by search engines or otherwise found on the web. The service must store your data on multiple geographically separated facilities behind Enterprise-grade firewall and also takes customers privacy very seriously (read their privacy policy).

Then it must provide an anywhere access to your files at anytime (99.99% Uptime) and has to be software free (completely web-based, no software or plugin to download or install and compatible with all browsers or OS). It should also provide a mobile access because most of workers use PDAs.

The next point is the file sharing: easy and safe. The service should offer the possibility to create a unique and encrypted URL for any file or folder.
Now comes the file transfer or uploading: simple and efficient (drag and drop), and very fast.

Another important feature is the space. The service must provide an ample storage of a minimum of 5 Gigabytes at an affordable price.

Finally you should consider the possibility to edit your documents, spreadsheets and other files online and the support (free phone or email support at anytime).

Get a look on featuresofbox.net to see what great features box offers you.

Junior G. Data Manager of JLEITER Co :) 
November 25, 2008 5:57:20 PM

I know of oohsah which offer 1TB of free storage online but I have never used it so I'm not sure how good they are. Well of course they are free so it's worth giving them a try. But I would definitly keep what gbjuno said in mind especially since they are free.
http://www.oosah.com/

Oh yeah it's still in beta so ????????? I do plan on trying it out soon but I will just put unsensitive data up there.
November 26, 2008 2:22:45 AM

You can just google and look up a few sites.
November 28, 2008 11:03:16 AM

right off the bat, oosah says nothing about security so if this is a concern, i would hesitate using it until they say otherwise.
Box.net seems pretty legit. I am testing out Dropbox and they do offer 2GB free and 50GB for $100/yr. I believe it works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
www.dropbox.com
November 28, 2008 11:12:57 AM

wrong address. attempted to edit post but coudn't.
www.getdropbox.com
One cool feature is the fact it keeps track of revisions and deleted files. So, if you accidentally saved a file and needed to redo your changes, you can login to the site and pull down an earlier version. It will also recover files you have deleted too. And, you have the ability to share files you want to share with others. I encourage anyone to watch their video if they are interested in online storage.
And, FYI, I am in no way affiliated or being paid by this company. I just believe in sharing good, positive info.
April 23, 2014 4:28:40 AM

Yes, there are many online backup services that offers free backups. Some of them are Dropbox, Open drive etc.
!