Comp 31

Hello All,

No submissions yet for the next competition, so if anybody out there
wants to submit one, the just send it to the email address on my
web-site.

If nobody submits one I'll probably go for a PosBand monster game
(maybe a Lich). They seem tough to get through the first few levels,
but then get quite powerful.

Regards
Tony
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hmm. If there aren't ready fixes for these Posband bugs I'd quite like
to submit an ironman comp - I don't think we've had an ironman one yet,
have we? The NPP one was so insanely hard I've got the bug for it.

I'll submit a Sangband save file with ironman turned on. I think Sang
is a good choice for ironman, because your class is not set so there is
plenty of flexibility to steer your skill development in response to
specific finds, and also because IDing stuff by use is well rewarded
with xp. Plus I can't wait to hear Eddie's reaction when his first
mushroom of Metamorphosis changes his race *again* ..... ;-)

CC

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oh yes that's right, Scott took out the race-changing from his latest
version. Well that sorts that out then. I'll specify beta15c to be on
the safe side - but I hope you will play in that case!

I didn't understand the comment about rings of woe - do they somehow
prevent metamorphosis?

I think we'll go for a Dark Elf, since they have the lowest average
skill cost, thereby allowing the greatest flexibility.

CC

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Tony Holmes wrote:
> If nobody submits one I'll probably go for a PosBand monster game
> (maybe a Lich). They seem tough to get through the first few levels,
> but then get quite powerful.

Good idea. One issue there is with Pos, though, is that there are still
some significant bugs - like filling the Brass Lantern of Wormtongue
gives +89 permanent speed. Maybe Alexander could put out a version with
quick bugfixes for known serious bugs?

Nick.

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Hmm. If there aren't ready fixes for these Posband bugs I'd quite like
> to submit an ironman comp - I don't think we've had an ironman one yet,
> have we? The NPP one was so insanely hard I've got the bug for it.
>
> I'll submit a Sangband save file with ironman turned on. I think Sang
> is a good choice for ironman, because your class is not set so there is
> plenty of flexibility to steer your skill development in response to
> specific finds, and also because IDing stuff by use is well rewarded
> with xp. Plus I can't wait to hear Eddie's reaction when his first
> mushroom of Metamorphosis changes his race *again* ..... ;-)

You'll have to be specific about the version. Recent mods changed
that. Metamorphosis doesn't change race any more.

Rings of woe should come with a description that says words to the
effect "wield this when testing mushrooms that might be metamorphosis"
in any version where that is useful.

I have spent too much time on Timo's challenge, and it is time to get
back to coding. Hopefully I will resist the next few comps.

Eddie

"magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Oh yes that's right, Scott took out the race-changing from his latest
> version. Well that sorts that out then. I'll specify beta15c to be on
> the safe side - but I hope you will play in that case!
>
> I didn't understand the comment about rings of woe - do they somehow
> prevent metamorphosis?

In , they have rNexus, which in turn [used to] prevents metamorph,
unless I am confusing them with some other cursed ring.

Eddie

On 2005-04-26, Nick wrote:
> Tony Holmes wrote:
>> If nobody submits one I'll probably go for a PosBand monster game
>> (maybe a Lich).

I'm flattered :).

>> They seem tough to get through the first few levels,
>> but then get quite powerful.
>
> Good idea. One issue there is with Pos, though, is that there are still
> some significant bugs - like filling the Brass Lantern of Wormtongue
> gives +89 permanent speed. Maybe Alexander could put out a version with
> quick bugfixes for known serious bugs?

Okay. Give me just a few days... I'll try to put up v0.9.8, without
many unfinished races but with all the bugfixes.

--
Alexander Ulyanov, maintainer of PosBand roguelike
E-mail: posband_AT_earthsea_DOT_org Web: http://posband.earthsea.org/