Sign in with
Your question

What's the best x1900xt?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2006 11:14:03 PM

I've got a choice between ati, powercolour, saphire full retail, and saphire lite retail. The ati is the one i'm leaning too, but the lite retail one is $50 CAD less than the rest. What do you think? :?:

More about : x1900xt

a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2006 11:24:25 PM

The HIS ice Q is the sexiest. Of your choices, I'd save the $50 and get the Sapphire Lite.
August 10, 2006 11:53:12 PM

Quote:
The HIS ice Q is the sexiest. Of your choices, I'd save the $50 and get the Sapphire Lite.

NCIX doesn't sell any HiS cards unfortunatly. I thought that about the saphire lite, but many people who bought have regreted it because of defects, crappy service and RMA attempts, and they all tell me to avoid Saphire. I also forgot that the powercolour is 50 more than the rest. soit its lite for 450, ati and full for 500, and powercolour for 550. You still think i should get the lite?
Related resources
August 11, 2006 12:00:24 AM

well if your gonna pay that much. wait 2 weeks for the x1950xtx for $450
August 11, 2006 12:07:54 AM

8)
Quote:
well if your gonna pay that much. wait 2 weeks for the x1950xtx for $450

I'm talking Canadian. I seriously doubt that will be $450 but we'll see. I'm not even sure it will push othe card's prices down much either but we'll see that as well.
August 11, 2006 12:25:45 AM

my mistake.. i would wait if you can't get the HIS x1900xt.. because the stock cooler on all the rest is just plain awful!
August 11, 2006 1:31:51 AM

Quote:
my mistake.. i would wait if you can't get the HIS x1900xt.. because the stock cooler on all the rest is just plain awful!

I don't plan on overclocking it so i don't care too much about the cooler. I just want to know which has the best stock performance. :?

p.s HiS will NEVER be available so thats not an option.
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2006 1:53:52 AM

I can not vouch for that exact card. If you are reading bad comments about that card that can't be explained by user error, then it may be worth avoiding.

I have the Sapphire lite retial version of the X1800XT and it's been great, just lacks the software bundle of the full retail. I've owned at least a dozen Sapphire cards and used more than that in other builds. And with all these, I have never had to RMA a Sapphire except newegg refurbished models. So that's a plus, yet it also means I can't comment on Sapphires tech support or RMA process. Anyway, at one time Sapphire made the ATI BBA cards. Personally, I trust them as much as any of the other brands. And I'd say that on these forums, they have been talked about as a good trusty brand.

I should add, that In some older cards the Sapphire lites came with slower memory chips that would not OC well, but for the most part the lites have just been lite on the software bundle and on your wallet.
August 11, 2006 2:13:21 AM

Quote:
I don't plan on overclocking it so i don't care too much about the cooler. I just want to know which has the best stock performance. :?

You misunderstood me. What I meant by a bad stock cooler is that it is LOUD and quite hot. I would recommend going with either powercolor or sapphire. However, since you are not planning on overclocking, I would look for the cheapest x1900xt with a reasonable warrenty and then purchase a Arctic Cooling vga cooler for it.
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2006 2:22:38 AM

Is the X1900XT cooler any louder than the X1800XT cooler? Or is it the same witht he 1900 putting out more heat so the fan runs at a higher RPM. I tell you, people complained about the X1800XT noise, but my Sapphire is pretty stinking quiet and has only ramped up above 50% RPM a couple times, even through who knows how many (hundreds of) hours of Oblivion. Anyway, if he isn't going to OC, then he should be fine not needing to force a higher RPM and it should be quiter than the average 7900GT.
August 11, 2006 2:28:37 AM

ok i looked it up and the difference between the two is like you said, the software bundle, and the lite does not support HDTV. Everything else appears the same. I don't have an hdtv so will this affect me. Another thing, those games that come with it are pretty good(full retail). Are they demos or full games?

PS. does the saphire have a good cooler? If not it won't make or break my decision but it will help this card.
August 11, 2006 2:37:12 AM

all x1900xt coolers are the same (loud and hot), except for the HIS

get a Arctic Cooler Accelero 2

Its well worth the $30 usd, for a cool and quiet computer
August 11, 2006 2:39:19 AM

Get the cheapest one that comes with a warranty. :) 
August 11, 2006 2:42:21 AM

exactly what i said before...

anyways here is a review to back up the Arctic Cooling Accelero 2.. the charts show what a difference it can make

Review
August 11, 2006 2:50:30 AM

Quote:
Get the cheapest one that comes with a warranty. :) 

OK so ATI it is!

I know i could get a vga cooler but i don't really want to spend any more money than i am right now which is a lot, nor do i want to fiddle with a very expensive vga. I already have to do that with my cpu :cry: 
August 11, 2006 4:02:04 AM

Quote:
Are you sure about the lite not having HDTV outs? That one I have never heard and sounds like a typo to me. Neweggs shows it coming with the output cable and having HDTV out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

might be a typo... i don't think it really matters since i don't have an HD tv :cry: 
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2006 4:10:55 AM

I'm pretty cheap; always looking for the best value. So I'd still personally save the $50 and get the Sapphire lite card. They are all reference designs with reference coolers. I guess bios info could vary a little, I think I remember GrApe saying the Sapphire X1800XT like I have runs a little lower fan RPM than others; hence can be quieter. But anyway, in your case, it would have to be quite a good spftware bundle to make me spend more, basically only the HIS ice Q could make me spend extra money as i have a serious liking to their cooler and like the game flatout which I have but would give away to a friend. Certian off brands I'd stay clear from, but Sapphire is good IMO.
August 11, 2006 4:20:33 AM

Ok thanks Paul... i know everything i need to know, so i'm done with this thread. Thanks for all the help :D 
!