Looking for performance of mobile video cards

jaoreill

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
First time post here and i'm lookin for some info. I'm in the market for a laptop thats big on performance, but at a somewhat mainstream price. I've been looking, but haven't found a really good compilation of info on laptop video cards (nudge to Toms), so i was hoping someone could post some links or stats on a variety of cards. Cards in particular are ATi: x700, x1400, x1600 Nvidia: 7800 gs, 7800 gtx, 7900gs, 7900gtx. Looking for 3dmark/game benchmarks,(not which is better). I know results are going to vary by manufactuer, i'm just looking for a general idea. Also since you took the time to read this long, does anyone know if laptops will get Core 2 chips anytime. Thanks.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
you joined in january, but posted first time today, lol, w/e. Anyway, i've been looking for the same thing and it always seems you have to compromise somewhere.. good vid card, 512mb ram.... fast cpu, slow hd... you know, anyway i'd like to know too.

First time post here and i'm lookin for some info. I'm in the market for a laptop thats big on performance, but at a somewhat mainstream price. I've been looking, but haven't found a really good compilation of info on laptop video cards (nudge to Toms), so i was hoping someone could post some links or stats on a variety of cards. Cards in particular are ATi: x700, x1400, x1600

There's a few out there try google, but here's a quick blurb from Xbit at the X1600's launch (compared to desktop X1600 and MRX700 like mine) and then recently compared against a GF7400;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-x1600-mobility.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/asus-w2jc.html

Nvidia: 7800 gs, 7800 gtx, 7900gs, 7900gtx. Looking for 3dmark/game benchmarks,(not which is better).

GFGO 7800 and 7800GTX are out there (at Anand IIRC), same with GFGO 7900 series.

I know results are going to vary by manufactuer, i'm just looking for a general idea. Also since you took the time to read this long, does anyone know if laptops will get Core 2 chips anytime. Thanks.

They are due around Aug 25th, and the are called Merom CPUs (to differentiate versus Conroe Core 2).

Expect them to be commonplace by September, I talked to a friend @ FutureShop/BestBuy tonight and he said early Septemeber for them. Just saw the new Sony BluRay (GF7600GT equipped) 17" tonight very good looking, the 20" acer not so cool.

If you're looking for cheap bu capabale then you're looking for Core duo or TurionX2 with a GF7900GS, those are usually the best bang/buck right now.

I'm perosnally waiting for the Merom and then a solid VPU for Oblivion and HD-DVD.