Asus A620 - MP3 players issue

December 27, 2004 2:36:30 PM

Hi,
Sometimes, when I'm listening to music on my PocketPC, it 'waves'. I
mean - the volume turns down and then up after a while. It seems, that
there is a kind of normalizer, which tries to minimize the sizzling
noise when the bass is really deep. Both BetaPlayer and PocketMusic seem
to be affected by this issue.
What can I do with this problem? It's really frustrating...

--
_____ julek@samochodykropkaorg .'===-,---,---,---,--,,,,---,---,---',
,-;--|--'--, <- VW Polo Classic'00 |_|___|___|___|___|__||||___|___|___||

I have an Asus A620 and haven't had this issue.

Perhaps giving some details would be helpful here? What program are you
using to play the mp3's? Does this issue always happen at the same
place or vary? Does it happen at the same place if you use a different
mp3 player on your Asus? Does this happen when you play the *same* file
(copy it back to your PC) on your PC?

btw there is a small sound fix on the Asus site to 'Improve Snaps sound
when play .WAV file' - i'm not sure if it would affect anything other
than wav's though.

"Julek Gêdek" <julek@ztmnewskropkakernel.pl> wrote in message
| Hi,
| Sometimes, when I'm listening to music on my PocketPC, it 'waves'. I
| mean - the volume turns down and then up after a while. It seems,
that
| there is a kind of normalizer, which tries to minimize the sizzling
| noise when the bass is really deep. Both BetaPlayer and PocketMusic
seem
| to be affected by this issue.
| What can I do with this problem? It's really frustrating...
|
| --
| _____ julek@samochodykropkaorg
..'===-,---,---,---,--,,,,---,---,---',
| ,-;--|--'--, <- VW Polo Classic'00
|_|___|___|___|___|__||||___|___|___||
| "(o)-'-(o)-'(srebrne, nieoklejone) [pzdr_ Julek ___ |||| Gêdek
___ |
| GG: 408 857 phone:( +48)695 420 403
=--'(o)'-------'(o)'-''''------'(o)'-=

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:57:17 AM

U¿ytkownik alan smith napisa³:
> I have an Asus A620 and haven't had this issue.
>
> Perhaps giving some details would be helpful here? What program are you
> using to play the mp3's?
BestPlayer and PocketMusic.
Don't know if this issue also affects wma and Windows Media Player.

> Does this issue always happen at the same
> place or vary? Does it happen at the same place if you use a different
> mp3 player on your Asus? Does this happen when you play the *same* file
> (copy it back to your PC) on your PC?
I'm sure that it doesn't depend on the file I play.
It happens (and is really frustrating), when I'm expecting a big bass
blast but I only hear music fading out (just for this certain moment).

> btw there is a small sound fix on the Asus site to 'Improve Snaps sound
> when play .WAV file' - i'm not sure if it would affect anything other
> than wav's though.
Thanks, I'll try to apply this fix to my PPC.

--
_____ julek@samochodykropkaorg .'===-,---,---,---,--,,,,---,---,---',
,-;--|--'--, <- VW Polo Classic'00 |_|___|___|___|___|__||||___|___|___||
"(o)-'-(o)-'(srebrne, nieoklejone) [pzdr_ Julek ___ |||| Gêdek ___ |
GG: 408 857 phone:( +48)695 420 403 =--'(o)'-------'(o)'-''''------'(o)'-=
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 4:17:33 PM

| U¿ytkownik alan smith napisa³:
| > I have an Asus A620 and haven't had this issue.
| >
| > Perhaps giving some details would be helpful here? What program are
you
| > using to play the mp3's?
| BestPlayer and PocketMusic.
| Don't know if this issue also affects wma and Windows Media Player.
|
| > Does this issue always happen at the same
| > place or vary? Does it happen at the same place if you use a
different
| > mp3 player on your Asus? Does this happen when you play the *same*
file
| > (copy it back to your PC) on your PC?
| I'm sure that it doesn't depend on the file I play.
| It happens (and is really frustrating), when I'm expecting a big bass
| blast but I only hear music fading out (just for this certain
moment).

You missed answering the question- Does this issue always happen at the
same
place or vary? Play one music file where the issue occurs several
times. If the issue consistently has the issue in exactly the same
placem and then you **copy** that file (not replay the original, or
reconvert it) back to your PC and it happens there it is the file. If
it plays correctly then there is something in your setup (mabe your
player program, headphones....), if it does the same thing in exacly
the same place then it is your file or convertor.

You could try Winampaq too (which plays mp3's), but you really need to
work out the answer to that question so you can isolate the cause a
little before moving on.

| > btw there is a small sound fix on the Asus site to 'Improve Snaps
sound
| > when play .WAV file' - i'm not sure if it would affect anything
other
| > than wav's though.
| Thanks, I'll try to apply this fix to my PPC.
|

| --
| _____ julek@samochodykropkaorg
..'===-,---,---,---,--,,,,---,---,---',
| ,-;--|--'--, <- VW Polo Classic'00
|_|___|___|___|___|__||||___|___|___||
| "(o)-'-(o)-'(srebrne, nieoklejone) [pzdr_ Julek ___ |||| Gêdek
___ |
| GG: 408 857 phone:( +48)695 420 403
=--'(o)'-------'(o)'-''''------'(o)'-=

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:49:20 PM

U¿ytkownik alan smith napisa³:
> You missed answering the question- Does this issue always happen at the
> same
> place or vary?
Always at same place(s).
Please listen to http://www.ztmnews.kernel.pl/temp/NoGood.mp3 (61 kB, 0:07)
Hope, that You don't hate Prodigy, but this issue could be clearly heard
in this certain sample.
And sorry for the quality, but I have recorded it using Notes and
headphones ;)

> Play one music file where the issue occurs several
> times. If the issue consistently has the issue in exactly the same
> placem and then you **copy** that file (not replay the original, or
> reconvert it) back to your PC and it happens there it is the file.
I'm copying the files via card reader, so they're not converted.
And does ActiveSync support MP3 conversion? I guess it does not...

> If
> it plays correctly then there is something in your setup (mabe your
> player program, headphones....), if it does the same thing in exacly
> the same place then it is your file or convertor.
It's played correctly (after all it's the same file, so no converter
changes it). The headphones I use are rather good, so I don't think they
would cause the problem (Sennheiser HD-210).
And I could hear it also when I don't use headphones - so I guess it
could be a sort of hardware issue.

> You could try Winampaq too (which plays mp3's), but you really need to
> work out the answer to that question so you can isolate the cause a
> little before moving on.
OK, thanks, I'll try to install this program.
Unfortunatelly, the patch You proposed didn't change anything.

--
_____ julek@samochodykropkaorg .'===-,---,---,---,--,,,,---,---,---',
,-;--|--'--, <- VW Polo Classic'00 |_|___|___|___|___|__||||___|___|___||
"(o)-'-(o)-'(srebrne, nieoklejone) [pzdr_ Julek ___ |||| Gêdek ___ |
GG: 408 857 phone:( +48)695 420 403 =--'(o)'-------'(o)'-''''------'(o)'-=
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 3:34:25 AM

| U¿ytkownik alan smith napisa³:
| > You missed answering the question- Does this issue always happen at
the
| > same
| > place or vary?
| Always at same place(s).
| Please listen to http://www.ztmnews.kernel.pl/temp/NoGood.mp3 (61 kB,
0:07)
| Hope, that You don't hate Prodigy, but this issue could be clearly
heard
| in this certain sample.
| And sorry for the quality, but I have recorded it using Notes and
| headphones ;)
|
| > Play one music file where the issue occurs several
| > times. If the issue consistently has the issue in exactly the same
| > placem and then you **copy** that file (not replay the original, or
| > reconvert it) back to your PC and it happens there it is the file.
| I'm copying the files via card reader, so they're not converted.
| And does ActiveSync support MP3 conversion? I guess it does not...
|
| > If
| > it plays correctly then there is something in your setup (mabe your
| > player program, headphones....), if it does the same thing in
exacly
| > the same place then it is your file or convertor.
| It's played correctly (after all it's the same file, so no converter
| changes it). The headphones I use are rather good, so I don't think
they
| would cause the problem (Sennheiser HD-210).
| And I could hear it also when I don't use headphones - so I guess it
| could be a sort of hardware issue.
|
| > You could try Winampaq too (which plays mp3's), but you really need
| > work out the answer to that question so you can isolate the cause a
| > little before moving on.
| OK, thanks, I'll try to install this program.
| Unfortunatelly, the patch You proposed didn't change anything.
|
| --
| _____ julek@samochodykropkaorg .'

I cannot currently try your file on my Asus machine. I don't have the
ability at the moment due to a hard disk crash.
Did you try this file back on your PC? Is it the same there? If so the
problem is not your ppc, it is your encoding to mp3.
One other thing, switch any normalising (or whatever your program may
call it) off while encoding, it can affect music. It is supposed to
help by raising the volume of quieter passages and quietening louder
ones so you don't jump too high when the level goes up. It's a way that
spoils the way the music was meant to be heard, although I suppose it
may have advantages in noisy surroundings. I have heard some tracks
that have been ruined by it.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 2:36:20 PM

U¿ytkownik alan smith napisa³:
> I cannot currently try your file on my Asus machine. I don't have the
> ability at the moment due to a hard disk crash.
> Did you try this file back on your PC? Is it the same there? If so the
> problem is not your ppc, it is your encoding to mp3.
> One other thing, switch any normalising (or whatever your program may
> call it) off while encoding, it can affect music. It is supposed to
> help by raising the volume of quieter passages and quietening louder
> ones so you don't jump too high when the level goes up. It's a way that
> spoils the way the music was meant to be heard, although I suppose it
> may have advantages in noisy surroundings. I have heard some tracks
> that have been ruined by it.
Exactly!
But as I wrote You - it seems to be a kind of normalising, but it is
played absolutely normally at my desktop computer.
So I don't think any encoder could affect this.

BTW - I tried to play my files on Winampaq. I hear now some sizzling
noise, but I don't hear that 'normalising' so it could have been some
software issue.
Thanks for Your advice.

--
_____ julek@samochodykropkaorg .'===-,---,---,---,--,,,,---,---,---',
,-;--|--'--, <- VW Polo Classic'00 |_|___|___|___|___|__||||___|___|___||
"(o)-'-(o)-'(srebrne, nieoklejone) [pzdr_ Julek ___ |||| Gêdek ___ |
GG: 408 857 phone:( +48)695 420 403 =--'(o)'-------'(o)'-''''------'(o)'-=
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 5:14:20 PM

| U¿ytkownik alan smith napisa³:
| > I cannot currently try your file on my Asus machine. I don't have
the
| > ability at the moment due to a hard disk crash.
| > Did you try this file back on your PC? Is it the same there? If so
the
| > problem is not your ppc, it is your encoding to mp3.
| > One other thing, switch any normalising (or whatever your program
may
| > call it) off while encoding, it can affect music. It is supposed to
| > help by raising the volume of quieter passages and quietening
louder
| > ones so you don't jump too high when the level goes up. It's a way
that
| > spoils the way the music was meant to be heard, although I suppose
it
| > may have advantages in noisy surroundings. I have heard some tracks
| > that have been ruined by it.
| Exactly!
| But as I wrote You - it seems to be a kind of normalising, but it is
| played absolutely normally at my desktop computer.
| So I don't think any encoder could affect this.
|
| BTW - I tried to play my files on Winampaq. I hear now some sizzling
| noise, but I don't hear that 'normalising' so it could have been some
| software issue.
| Thanks for Your advice.
|
| --
| _____ julek@samochodykropkaorg .

There are other players for mp3's too, if you have an improvement with
one player why not try the others available? You might find one that
does things the way you want.
!