weird BoBs bug?

I'm fairly sure that I don't have anything that absorbs spells or
anything, but when i put on the boots of blinding speed, it doesn't
effect my vision in any way during the game.

Actually, it did yesterday once....but then I rested and it stopped
blinding me again?

Any ideas or am I just damn lucky? heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

High willpower, perhaps?

You can check to see if you have any resist
magic active by mousing over the little
boxes at the lower right of the screen (the
ones which tell you active effects).

On 13 Jan 2005 03:50:00 -0800, "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net>
wrote:

>High willpower, perhaps?
>
>You can check to see if you have any resist
>magic active by mousing over the little
>boxes at the lower right of the screen (the
>ones which tell you active effects).

got a pretty high willpower, ya.

i don't seem to have anything magic resist down there. i'll look
through my inventory again.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

> i don't seem to have anything magic resist down there. i'll look
> through my inventory again.

If you're playing a Breton or Orc, you've got some magicka resist by
default. Bretons are my new favorite character, as they can wear BoBS right
at the beginning without being seriously handicapped. (You still get 50%
blinded, but that's still more than enough to see by.)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:55:03 GMT, Mydnight <askme@askme.now> wrote:

>I'm fairly sure that I don't have anything that absorbs spells or
>anything, but when i put on the boots of blinding speed, it doesn't
>effect my vision in any way during the game.
>
>Actually, it did yesterday once....but then I rested and it stopped
>blinding me again?
>
>Any ideas or am I just damn lucky? heh.

Did you have any Night Eye effect active? That seems to reduce the
blindness.

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> > i don't seem to have anything magic resist down there. i'll look
> > through my inventory again.
>
> If you're playing a Breton or Orc, you've got some magicka resist by
> default. Bretons are my new favorite character, as they can wear BoBS
right
> at the beginning without being seriously handicapped. (You still get 50%
> blinded, but that's still more than enough to see by.)

What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}

sarah

"Sandra R. Collins" <sandracollins@cox.net> wrote in message

> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}

Boots of Blinding Speed.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:58:10 -0500, "Sarah"
<scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
>
>Boots of Blinding Speed.

aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"

> >> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
> >
> >Boots of Blinding Speed.
>
> aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"

I'd include it on the top 5, at least. I'm also quite partial to the Amulet
of Shadows and the Redas Robe of Deeds. Also that robe that gives you CE
50% Chameleon in Bloodmoon. My newest character went out of her way to
acquire the Amulet of Shadows. (That's actually a VERY difficult fight for
a lvl 1 char, but well worth it...) Granted, it was only because she was
using the BoBS that she had a chance at all...

> Not mine. Always sold immediately, even when playing a Breton.

Actually, the only thing I dislike about them is that I'm so used to the
speed now, that I can barely stand to play any character without them
anymore. Every new character I create makes acquiring them their very first
goal after leaving Seyda Neen. I can't even consider playing a Khajit or
Argonian (unless I get the mod that allows them to use footwear) because it
would just be painfully slow. Also, escort missions really piss me off
because NPCs can't keep up with me. I'm thinking of creating a mod with a
spell to Fortify Speed 200 for 60 Seconds on Target, just to get around this
problem. Maybe add on Fortify Acrobatics 100 as well, so I can go over
mountains without them getting all confused and running the opposite
direction...

sure as hell does make travel a bit quicker, though.

I use my wizard's staff with the boots on and fly around like Harry
Potter on his Nimbus2000. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------

Sarah wrote:

> Not mine. Always sold immediately, even when playing a Breton.

Not mine as well. Fortunately, Taddeus balance pack takes care you
cannot bypass the blind effect, as it gives them blind 500%. :*)

I'm perfectly fine to be slow as a beginner character. Dropped out of a
prison ship? You are not the hero yet. Matter of taste, I guess. Anyone
can use them or not use them as she/he wishes.

However, those boots have one advantage, you can donate them to the
Mournhold museum. :)

Peter

In article <7nlpu0tkksvd30iusi0fok19rqat1sp2st@4ax.com>,
lcraver@home.ca says...
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:58:10 -0500, "Sarah"
> <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:
>
> >> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
> >
> >Boots of Blinding Speed.
>
> aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"

In my case, that would be the Amulet of Shadows. I equipped the BoBS on
a PC just once and never used them again after that.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain

sarah

"Robert Oliver" <rboliver@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> In my case, that would be the Amulet of Shadows. I equipped the BoBS on
> a PC just once and never used them again after that.

Also mine. However, it does unbalance things a bit. Even a character with
a sneak of 5 is capable of stealing everything that isn't nailed down using
the amulet.

> Also mine. However, it does unbalance things a bit. Even a character
with
> a sneak of 5 is capable of stealing everything that isn't nailed down
using
> the amulet.

Actually, you do need SOME sneak ability. I wasn't able to steal anything
without getting caught with a sneak skill of anything less than 20. And it
doesn't seem to help at all with picking pockets. I think pocket picking
success is based solely on sneak ability, and Chameleon doesn't factor in at
all. I was wearing that 50% Chameleon robe from the cave in Bloodmoon,
along with the 80% from the Amulet of Shadows, and ~25 sneak, and I still
couldn't successfully pick any pockets.

sarah

> Actually, you do need SOME sneak ability. I wasn't able to steal anything
> without getting caught with a sneak skill of anything less than 20. And
> it
> doesn't seem to help at all with picking pockets. I think pocket picking
> success is based solely on sneak ability, and Chameleon doesn't factor in
> at
> all. I was wearing that 50% Chameleon robe from the cave in Bloodmoon,
> along with the 80% from the Amulet of Shadows, and ~25 sneak, and I still
> couldn't successfully pick any pockets.

I rarely pick pockets so I can't comment on that, but once I've got the
amulet of shadows, I can pretty much steal anything regardless of my sneak
value. With the amulet, I've definitely stolen stuff with a sneak less than
20.

> I rarely pick pockets so I can't comment on that, but once I've got the
> amulet of shadows, I can pretty much steal anything regardless of my sneak
> value. With the amulet, I've definitely stolen stuff with a sneak less
than
> 20.

It may depend on who's around to witness it. The first thing I tried to use
it for was to steal the Propylon Index that somebody left as an offering in
the temple in Maar Gan. Something in there must have eyes like a hawk,
because I could never quite manage to grab the thing. It would show the
sneak icon, right up until the instant I grabbed the Index, and then all of
a sudden everybody could see me and they start attacking. I tried this
several times, and it wasn't until I went and trained myself up a bit in
Sneak that I was able to pull off that heist successfully.

In article <41f1afcb$0$31920$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL says...
> "Robert Oliver" <rboliver@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
> > In my case, that would be the Amulet of Shadows. I equipped the BoBS on
> > a PC just once and never used them again after that.
>
> Also mine. However, it does unbalance things a bit. Even a character with
> a sneak of 5 is capable of stealing everything that isn't nailed down using
> the amulet.

I suppose that's true, but that isn't why I like the amulet. I'm not
always interested in killing every last living thing my PC encounters
and amulet of shadows let's my PC avoid fights when I'm not in the
mood. It's also very handy when you are fighting tough opponents and
your PC has a low or non existent level of sneak. I can't count the
number of times my PCs have done critical damage to something they've
maneuvered behind with the chameleon spell in effect.

--

> It's also very handy when you are fighting tough opponents and
> your PC has a low or non existent level of sneak. I can't count the
> number of times my PCs have done critical damage to something they've
> maneuvered behind with the chameleon spell in effect.

Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats is
unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.

> Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
> something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats
is
> unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.

Never used sujamma, but then I never use any potions, really, except for the
occasional healing potion in an emergency. I've also used Telvanni Bug Musk
once or twice when I really needed to persuade somebody, but otherwise not
much. I also don't use scrolls ever. I used to use Ondusi's Unhinging and
Ekash's Locksplitter, but then I got good enough at picking my own locks not
to need them. (Plus, by doing it yourself, you're increasing your skills.
Using a scroll is a waste of an opportunity for self-improvement.) I also
used to use scrolls of Fyggi's Gem Feeder, but once I completed that Mage's
Guild quest that gives you a dagger that casts Soul Trap, I've never used
them again. (Yet for some reason I still keep picking them up. I've got a
huge library of scrolls in my house right now that I'll probably never
use...)

>Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
>something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats is
>unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.

But it was built into the game by the original programmers not even in
a mod. It's like any game when you find the most elite stuff...how is
it unbalancing?

Mydnight

--------------------

"Mydnight" <askme@askme.now> wrote in message

>>Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
>>something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats
>>is
>>unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.
>>

> But it was built into the game by the original programmers not even in
> a mod. It's like any game when you find the most elite stuff...how is
> it unbalancing?

I don't consider sujamma elite - it's all over the place. As far as it
being in the original game, sure, but as I originally said above, "anything
that lets your character..." It's possible for designers to include
unbalancing items in a game. Happens all the time.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:01:34 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> >Boots of Blinding Speed.
>>
>> aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"
>
>I'd include it on the top 5, at least. I'm also quite partial to the Amulet
>of Shadows and the Redas Robe of Deeds. Also that robe that gives you CE
>50% Chameleon in Bloodmoon. My newest character went out of her way to
>acquire the Amulet of Shadows. (That's actually a VERY difficult fight for
>a lvl 1 char, but well worth it...) Granted, it was only because she was
>using the BoBS that she had a chance at all...

Hmmm. I don't think I know the robe of deeds. But you're right about
the amulet of shadows - when I did that at level one it was when I was
WELL stocked with scrolls and had to try 3 or 4 times to do it.

> Hmmm. I don't think I know the robe of deeds.

It's in the Redas Ancestral Tomb, just south of Molag Mar. It has a CE 50
pt. Feather, and a short range Detect Creature on it. I mostly like it for
the feather, since I'm a packrat and pick up anything of even vague value.
Since there's only one other robe in the game I'd ever consider wearing, and
that's hiding in a cave deep in the cold tundra regions of Solstheim, the
Redas robe is among the first things I pick up with any new character, and
I'm almost always wearing it, much as I dislike the look of wearing a robe
on some characters... (If there were a mod that changed all robes into
capes, I'd take it. If I've got cool-looking armor, I don't want to hide it
under a robe, but I still want the enchantments on that robe, so what can
you do?)

>I don't consider sujamma elite - it's all over the place. As far as it
>being in the original game, sure, but as I originally said above, "anything
>that lets your character..." It's possible for designers to include
>unbalancing items in a game. Happens all the time.

I mean elite items, not really sujamma. I don't use those potions,
really. I just walk around and eat what I see and gain my attributes
back that way.

BoBs, however, I think would be an elite item.

Mydnight

thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.