weird BoBs bug?

Last response: in Video Games
January 13, 2005 1:55:03 PM

I'm fairly sure that I don't have anything that absorbs spells or
anything, but when i put on the boots of blinding speed, it doesn't
effect my vision in any way during the game.

Actually, it did yesterday once....but then I rested and it stopped
blinding me again?

Any ideas or am I just damn lucky? heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

More about : weird bobs bug

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 1:55:04 PM

High willpower, perhaps?

You can check to see if you have any resist
magic active by mousing over the little
boxes at the lower right of the screen (the
ones which tell you active effects).
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:21:42 PM

On 13 Jan 2005 03:50:00 -0800, "DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net>
wrote:

>High willpower, perhaps?
>
>You can check to see if you have any resist
>magic active by mousing over the little
>boxes at the lower right of the screen (the
>ones which tell you active effects).

got a pretty high willpower, ya.

i don't seem to have anything magic resist down there. i'll look
through my inventory again.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
January 13, 2005 10:09:34 PM

> i don't seem to have anything magic resist down there. i'll look
> through my inventory again.

If you're playing a Breton or Orc, you've got some magicka resist by
default. Bretons are my new favorite character, as they can wear BoBS right
at the beginning without being seriously handicapped. (You still get 50%
blinded, but that's still more than enough to see by.)
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:10:14 AM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:55:03 GMT, Mydnight <askme@askme.now> wrote:

>I'm fairly sure that I don't have anything that absorbs spells or
>anything, but when i put on the boots of blinding speed, it doesn't
>effect my vision in any way during the game.
>
>Actually, it did yesterday once....but then I rested and it stopped
>blinding me again?
>
>Any ideas or am I just damn lucky? heh.

Did you have any Night Eye effect active? That seems to reduce the
blindness.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:32:19 AM

"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> > i don't seem to have anything magic resist down there. i'll look
> > through my inventory again.
>
> If you're playing a Breton or Orc, you've got some magicka resist by
> default. Bretons are my new favorite character, as they can wear BoBS
right
> at the beginning without being seriously handicapped. (You still get 50%
> blinded, but that's still more than enough to see by.)

What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
January 16, 2005 1:58:10 AM

"Sandra R. Collins" <sandracollins@cox.net> wrote in message

> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}

Boots of Blinding Speed.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 6:06:27 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:58:10 -0500, "Sarah"
<scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:

>> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
>
>Boots of Blinding Speed.

aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:01:34 PM

> >> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
> >
> >Boots of Blinding Speed.
>
> aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"

I'd include it on the top 5, at least. I'm also quite partial to the Amulet
of Shadows and the Redas Robe of Deeds. Also that robe that gives you CE
50% Chameleon in Bloodmoon. My newest character went out of her way to
acquire the Amulet of Shadows. (That's actually a VERY difficult fight for
a lvl 1 char, but well worth it...) Granted, it was only because she was
using the BoBS that she had a chance at all...
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 3:57:39 AM

> Not mine. Always sold immediately, even when playing a Breton.

Actually, the only thing I dislike about them is that I'm so used to the
speed now, that I can barely stand to play any character without them
anymore. Every new character I create makes acquiring them their very first
goal after leaving Seyda Neen. I can't even consider playing a Khajit or
Argonian (unless I get the mod that allows them to use footwear) because it
would just be painfully slow. Also, escort missions really piss me off
because NPCs can't keep up with me. I'm thinking of creating a mod with a
spell to Fortify Speed 200 for 60 Seconds on Target, just to get around this
problem. Maybe add on Fortify Acrobatics 100 as well, so I can go over
mountains without them getting all confused and running the opposite
direction...
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 7:06:40 AM

sure as hell does make travel a bit quicker, though.

I use my wizard's staff with the boots on and fly around like Harry
Potter on his Nimbus2000. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:55:39 AM

Sarah wrote:

> Not mine. Always sold immediately, even when playing a Breton.

Not mine as well. Fortunately, Taddeus balance pack takes care you
cannot bypass the blind effect, as it gives them blind 500%. :*)

I'm perfectly fine to be slow as a beginner character. Dropped out of a
prison ship? You are not the hero yet. Matter of taste, I guess. Anyone
can use them or not use them as she/he wishes.

However, those boots have one advantage, you can donate them to the
Mournhold museum. :)

Peter
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:09:21 AM

In article <7nlpu0tkksvd30iusi0fok19rqat1sp2st@4ax.com>,
lcraver@home.ca says...
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:58:10 -0500, "Sarah"
> <scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL> wrote:
>
> >> What is BoBS? I'm confused......8>}
> >
> >Boots of Blinding Speed.
>
> aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"

In my case, that would be the Amulet of Shadows. I equipped the BoBS on
a PC just once and never used them again after that.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain

"Robert Oliver" <rboliver@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> In my case, that would be the Amulet of Shadows. I equipped the BoBS on
> a PC just once and never used them again after that.

Also mine. However, it does unbalance things a bit. Even a character with
a sneak of 5 is capable of stealing everything that isn't nailed down using
the amulet.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:31:07 AM

> Also mine. However, it does unbalance things a bit. Even a character
with
> a sneak of 5 is capable of stealing everything that isn't nailed down
using
> the amulet.

Actually, you do need SOME sneak ability. I wasn't able to steal anything
without getting caught with a sneak skill of anything less than 20. And it
doesn't seem to help at all with picking pockets. I think pocket picking
success is based solely on sneak ability, and Chameleon doesn't factor in at
all. I was wearing that 50% Chameleon robe from the cave in Bloodmoon,
along with the 80% from the Amulet of Shadows, and ~25 sneak, and I still
couldn't successfully pick any pockets.
January 22, 2005 12:37:31 PM

> Actually, you do need SOME sneak ability. I wasn't able to steal anything
> without getting caught with a sneak skill of anything less than 20. And
> it
> doesn't seem to help at all with picking pockets. I think pocket picking
> success is based solely on sneak ability, and Chameleon doesn't factor in
> at
> all. I was wearing that 50% Chameleon robe from the cave in Bloodmoon,
> along with the 80% from the Amulet of Shadows, and ~25 sneak, and I still
> couldn't successfully pick any pockets.

I rarely pick pockets so I can't comment on that, but once I've got the
amulet of shadows, I can pretty much steal anything regardless of my sneak
value. With the amulet, I've definitely stolen stuff with a sneak less than
20.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:38:57 PM

> I rarely pick pockets so I can't comment on that, but once I've got the
> amulet of shadows, I can pretty much steal anything regardless of my sneak
> value. With the amulet, I've definitely stolen stuff with a sneak less
than
> 20.

It may depend on who's around to witness it. The first thing I tried to use
it for was to steal the Propylon Index that somebody left as an offering in
the temple in Maar Gan. Something in there must have eyes like a hawk,
because I could never quite manage to grab the thing. It would show the
sneak icon, right up until the instant I grabbed the Index, and then all of
a sudden everybody could see me and they start attacking. I tried this
several times, and it wasn't until I went and trained myself up a bit in
Sneak that I was able to pull off that heist successfully.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:41:59 PM

In article <41f1afcb$0$31920$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>,
scrubbrush@DELrogers.comDEL says...
> "Robert Oliver" <rboliver@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
> > In my case, that would be the Amulet of Shadows. I equipped the BoBS on
> > a PC just once and never used them again after that.
>
> Also mine. However, it does unbalance things a bit. Even a character with
> a sneak of 5 is capable of stealing everything that isn't nailed down using
> the amulet.

I suppose that's true, but that isn't why I like the amulet. I'm not
always interested in killing every last living thing my PC encounters
and amulet of shadows let's my PC avoid fights when I'm not in the
mood. It's also very handy when you are fighting tough opponents and
your PC has a low or non existent level of sneak. I can't count the
number of times my PCs have done critical damage to something they've
maneuvered behind with the chameleon spell in effect.

--
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
-Mark Twain
January 22, 2005 9:42:00 PM

> It's also very handy when you are fighting tough opponents and
> your PC has a low or non existent level of sneak. I can't count the
> number of times my PCs have done critical damage to something they've
> maneuvered behind with the chameleon spell in effect.

Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats is
unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 9:42:01 PM

> Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
> something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats
is
> unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.

Never used sujamma, but then I never use any potions, really, except for the
occasional healing potion in an emergency. I've also used Telvanni Bug Musk
once or twice when I really needed to persuade somebody, but otherwise not
much. I also don't use scrolls ever. I used to use Ondusi's Unhinging and
Ekash's Locksplitter, but then I got good enough at picking my own locks not
to need them. (Plus, by doing it yourself, you're increasing your skills.
Using a scroll is a waste of an opportunity for self-improvement.) I also
used to use scrolls of Fyggi's Gem Feeder, but once I completed that Mage's
Guild quest that gives you a dagger that casts Soul Trap, I've never used
them again. (Yet for some reason I still keep picking them up. I've got a
huge library of scrolls in my house right now that I'll probably never
use...)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:45:55 AM

>Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
>something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats is
>unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.

But it was built into the game by the original programmers not even in
a mod. It's like any game when you find the most elite stuff...how is
it unbalancing?

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
January 23, 2005 2:45:56 AM

"Mydnight" <askme@askme.now> wrote in message

>>Which is also unbalancing. To me, anything that lets your character do
>>something well beyond what they should be able to do based on their stats
>>is
>>unbalancing. That's why I try to avoid sujamma too.
>>

> But it was built into the game by the original programmers not even in
> a mod. It's like any game when you find the most elite stuff...how is
> it unbalancing?

I don't consider sujamma elite - it's all over the place. As far as it
being in the original game, sure, but as I originally said above, "anything
that lets your character..." It's possible for designers to include
unbalancing items in a game. Happens all the time.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:02:06 AM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:01:34 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> >Boots of Blinding Speed.
>>
>> aka "Most People's Favorite Artifact"
>
>I'd include it on the top 5, at least. I'm also quite partial to the Amulet
>of Shadows and the Redas Robe of Deeds. Also that robe that gives you CE
>50% Chameleon in Bloodmoon. My newest character went out of her way to
>acquire the Amulet of Shadows. (That's actually a VERY difficult fight for
>a lvl 1 char, but well worth it...) Granted, it was only because she was
>using the BoBS that she had a chance at all...

Hmmm. I don't think I know the robe of deeds. But you're right about
the amulet of shadows - when I did that at level one it was when I was
WELL stocked with scrolls and had to try 3 or 4 times to do it.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:02:07 AM

> Hmmm. I don't think I know the robe of deeds.

It's in the Redas Ancestral Tomb, just south of Molag Mar. It has a CE 50
pt. Feather, and a short range Detect Creature on it. I mostly like it for
the feather, since I'm a packrat and pick up anything of even vague value.
Since there's only one other robe in the game I'd ever consider wearing, and
that's hiding in a cave deep in the cold tundra regions of Solstheim, the
Redas robe is among the first things I pick up with any new character, and
I'm almost always wearing it, much as I dislike the look of wearing a robe
on some characters... (If there were a mod that changed all robes into
capes, I'd take it. If I've got cool-looking armor, I don't want to hide it
under a robe, but I still want the enchantments on that robe, so what can
you do?)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:44:27 PM

>I don't consider sujamma elite - it's all over the place. As far as it
>being in the original game, sure, but as I originally said above, "anything
>that lets your character..." It's possible for designers to include
>unbalancing items in a game. Happens all the time.

I mean elite items, not really sujamma. I don't use those potions,
really. I just walk around and eat what I see and gain my attributes
back that way.

BoBs, however, I think would be an elite item.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:44:28 PM

> I mean elite items, not really sujamma. I don't use those potions,
> really. I just walk around and eat what I see and gain my attributes
> back that way.
>
> BoBs, however, I think would be an elite item.

My guess is it never occured to the designers that people could use 1 second
of Resist Magicka 100% to completely negate the negative effects of these
boots. They were added more as a joke than anything else. Notice the way
people around Gnaar Mok talk about Pemenie the Trader. (the person who gives
you the boots.) They all say stuff about how she's really not reputable and
has shoddy, defective merchandise, and even has a price on her head for it?
I've yet to figure out who will pay this price, but the fact remains, I'm
pretty sure the game designers never thought that people would actually find
a way to use these boots.

(Still addicted to them, though. The game is just dead-slow without
them...)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:57:12 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:28:16 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> I mean elite items, not really sujamma. I don't use those potions,
>> really. I just walk around and eat what I see and gain my attributes
>> back that way.
>>
>> BoBs, however, I think would be an elite item.
>
>My guess is it never occured to the designers that people could use 1 second
>of Resist Magicka 100% to completely negate the negative effects of these
>boots. They were added more as a joke than anything else. Notice the way
>people around Gnaar Mok talk about Pemenie the Trader. (the person who gives
>you the boots.) They all say stuff about how she's really not reputable and
>has shoddy, defective merchandise, and even has a price on her head for it?
>I've yet to figure out who will pay this price, but the fact remains, I'm
>pretty sure the game designers never thought that people would actually find
>a way to use these boots.
>
>(Still addicted to them, though. The game is just dead-slow without
>them...)

Definitely. I don't think I could start another character without
getting them...I mean, my speed is up to an acceptable level (like
around 100 or something) anyway, so these boots really get me flying.

I still like to use the Wizard's Staff and fly around like Harry
Potter. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 7:57:13 PM

> I still like to use the Wizard's Staff and fly around like Harry
> Potter. heh.

I personally have never liked the levitate spell. It looks wrong, like
walking in midair. They should put a different animation on it to make it
feel more natural. (The animation used for swimming would work better, I
think.) Also, I don't like that you can't use it indoors in some places,
because you crash into the ceiling just trying to walk foreward, so you have
to wait for it to wear off or cast dispel to get rid of it when you enter a
building. I personally favor Jump, coupled with very high Acrobatics skill.
I've got a CE 8 pt. Jump ring which I use all the time, along with Marara's
Ring, which among other things has CE 10 points of Fortify Acrobatics. I
also use a CE Restore Health amulet I made to absorb the damage from
landings, though at my level in the game (50-something), I hardly take
damage from falling anymore. I like jumping from the tops of mountains and
just seeing how far I can go before landing. I almost never walk on the
ground in towns, preferring to leap from rooftop to rooftop to get around.
It's much more fun than simply levitating.

(I've also enchanted a CE Levitate ring for those few situations where
jumping won't reach, but I almost never use it. The advantage in this case
is that if I am using it, I can take it off when I go inside and it goes
away immediately so I don't have to wait for it to wear off.)
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:46:39 AM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:57:12 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> I still like to use the Wizard's Staff and fly around like Harry
>> Potter. heh.
>
>I personally have never liked the levitate spell. It looks wrong, like
>walking in midair. They should put a different animation on it to make it
>feel more natural.

I usually use the 1st person viewpoint, and if you aren't holding a
weapon, it looks pretty smooth. I usually hold out my hands as if I
were to cast a spell to make it appear that I'm flying like superman.
heh.

I really didn't use levitate often until I got the BoBs (recently,
actually...i didn't use any guides or look at any forums and i just
found them probably a week ago..didn't know they existed until my
brother got them on the Xbox) because unless you have something with
a high levitate rating, it's slower than walking. With the BoBs, it's
pretty quick to get around with.

I've been messing around with this game, not playing for months at a
time, etc, and I decided I at least wanted to complete the main quest
once, so I'm trying to just run around and be quick.

I mean, I've done so many sidequests and stuff, I forgot what I was
supposed to be doing. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
January 24, 2005 10:48:48 AM

> I usually use the 1st person viewpoint, and if you aren't holding a
> weapon, it looks pretty smooth. I usually hold out my hands as if I
> were to cast a spell to make it appear that I'm flying like superman.
> heh.

That's cool. Do you run with any of the mods that add capes?

When I'm travelling, I usually use 3rd person view and levitation does look
weird. It looks like you're in a silent movie.

> I really didn't use levitate often until I got the BoBs

Levitate is really handy when you're looking for a location and were only
given vague directions. Finding it on foot can be tough at times -
levitating over the area can help a lot.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:50:28 PM

In article <9IGdnSA4eLcqU27cRVn-hg@giganews.com>, i.dont@think.so
says...

> My guess is it never occured to the designers that people could use 1 second
> of Resist Magicka 100% to completely negate the negative effects of these
> boots. They were added more as a joke than anything else. Notice the way
> people around Gnaar Mok talk about Pemenie the Trader. (the person who gives
> you the boots.) They all say stuff about how she's really not reputable and
> has shoddy, defective merchandise, and even has a price on her head for it?
> I've yet to figure out who will pay this price, but the fact remains, I'm
> pretty sure the game designers never thought that people would actually find
> a way to use these boots.
>
> (Still addicted to them, though. The game is just dead-slow without
> them...)

Yeah, well, I am running a relatively new character. Got the boots, went
to the Alchemist up the hill in Balmora and bought 5 [exquisite?]
potions of magicka resistance (5x20% = 100%, right?) and swallowed them.
Put the boots on. Still could see, but much reduced. Dwarven ruins
almost impossible to see any detail without castin NightEye all the time

When I looked in the console I found that my blindness score was -50%.
<sigh>.

-P.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:50:29 PM

> Yeah, well, I am running a relatively new character. Got the boots, went
> to the Alchemist up the hill in Balmora and bought 5 [exquisite?]
> potions of magicka resistance (5x20% = 100%, right?) and swallowed them.
> Put the boots on. Still could see, but much reduced. Dwarven ruins
> almost impossible to see any detail without castin NightEye all the time

The easiest way I've found is to enchant an item with 100% Resist Magicka
for 1-2 seconds. This will cost you approximately 6000 gold, which is not
that hard to get early in the game. 1 second has alwasys been enough for
me, though some people say they can't do it with less than 2. This item
will have various other uses in the game as well. Any item with
enchantments on it that are both good and bad, this will counteract the bad
part. I think it even works with potions, though I haven't tried. (This
would include the ability to down a Sujamma without the intelligence
penalty... Haven't tried doing that, though...) I'd call it cheating,
maybe, but all of these things are included in the game, not added by mods,
so it's more a matter of poor game balance, but whatever...
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:06:07 PM

>Levitate is really handy when you're looking for a location and were only
>given vague directions. Finding it on foot can be tough at times -
>levitating over the area can help a lot.

That's the main reason I use it. The landscape, though beautifully
drawn and interesting, can become debilitatingly annoying when trying
to look for a cave that's just east from a pile of rocks amongst 3000
piles of rocks. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 7:13:48 PM

Watching over us from Center Neptune, 7-"Darrel Hoffman"-7 wrote...

> If you're playing a Breton or Orc, you've got some magicka resist by
> default. Bretons are my new favorite character, as they can wear BoBS
> right at the beginning without being seriously handicapped. (You
> still get 50% blinded, but that's still more than enough to see by.)

I'm playing an orc and got the BoBs and can run around perfectly easily
with them on.

I just wish I'd remember to use them. I hit the save button *just* after a
particuarly nasty orc had seen me and it took several tries and some very
expensive scrolls to defeat him. Several hours later I realised I could
have just put the boots on and run.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:42:01 PM

> I usually use the 1st person viewpoint, and if you aren't holding a
> weapon, it looks pretty smooth. I usually hold out my hands as if I
> were to cast a spell to make it appear that I'm flying like superman.
> heh.

I mostly only use 1st person view for archery, casting ranged spells, and
picking up small items. Most of the time, I'd rather SEE my character.
Makes it harder for enemies to sneak up behind me as well. (Especially
those ^#&%* Cliff Racers...)

> I really didn't use levitate often until I got the BoBs (recently,
> actually...i didn't use any guides or look at any forums and i just
> found them probably a week ago..didn't know they existed until my
> brother got them on the Xbox) because unless you have something with
> a high levitate rating, it's slower than walking. With the BoBs, it's
> pretty quick to get around with.

See, BoBS are great for jumping as well, and it just feels so much more -
natural. I think it's cool I can get into the Ministry of Truth without
levitating now, not that there's any need to by now, of course. There's
only a few places I can't get to without levitation, and I don't often go to
those places.

> I mean, I've done so many sidequests and stuff, I forgot what I was
> supposed to be doing. heh.

I think that happens to everybody the first time...
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:00:33 PM

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 01:21:08 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> Hmmm. I don't think I know the robe of deeds.
>
>It's in the Redas Ancestral Tomb, just south of Molag Mar. It has a CE 50
>pt. Feather, and a short range Detect Creature on it. I mostly like it for
>the feather, since I'm a packrat and pick up anything of even vague value.
>Since there's only one other robe in the game I'd ever consider wearing, and
>that's hiding in a cave deep in the cold tundra regions of Solstheim, the
>Redas robe is among the first things I pick up with any new character, and
>I'm almost always wearing it, much as I dislike the look of wearing a robe
>on some characters... (If there were a mod that changed all robes into
>capes, I'd take it. If I've got cool-looking armor, I don't want to hide it
>under a robe, but I still want the enchantments on that robe, so what can
>you do?)

Will have to go there. One of my favorite items in Suran Underworld is
the Constant Effect Feather 100 belt cause the Goat has NO self
discipline when it comes to picking up stuff. Usually my initial
reaction to being over-burdened is to drink a Fortify Strength potion.
If I get terribly greedy that's 2 or 3 potions but I try to avoid this
since it does interesting things to combat....I love making Scribs
break into three pieces in a single blow!
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:00:34 PM

wrote:

>(Still addicted to them, though. The game is just dead-slow without
>them...)

Me too - though in addition I often go to the console at level one and
set my speed to 150 - I know this messes up my character's advancement
but having run around the countryside at speed 30 it's just too
painful particularly in that first Dwemer ruin.
!