Printing using black ink cartridge only?

I have a HP 920c printer. I noticed that when I try to print using just
the black ink cartridge only, that it still uses the color cartridge.
Simply taking the color cartridge out doesn't seem to work. I've tried
changing the "printing preferences" to use the black ink only but
nothing works. I haven't printed anything in color since inserting the
brand new color cartridge and yet it's down to 20% ink left.

Can anyone tell me what's going on? Is there a way to fix this problem
so the printer only uses the black ink cartridge?

<littleboyblu87@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP 920c printer. I noticed that when I try to print using just
> the black ink cartridge only, that it still uses the color cartridge.
> Simply taking the color cartridge out doesn't seem to work. I've tried
> changing the "printing preferences" to use the black ink only but
> nothing works. I haven't printed anything in color since inserting the
> brand new color cartridge and yet it's down to 20% ink left.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going on? Is there a way to fix this problem
> so the printer only uses the black ink cartridge?

In the advanced section of printing preferences, change the default to '
print in grayscale'. That should do the trick.
Franko.

"Franko" <noone@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> In the advanced section of printing preferences, change the default to '
> print in grayscale'. That should do the trick.
> Franko.

Some printer still use the colour cart when printing in greyscale. On these
printers all the greyscale option does is convert the image from colour to
greyscale, it still uses the colour carts. They mix the colours to make gray
and improve the quality of black and white images.

CWatters wrote:
> "Franko" <noone@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>
> > In the advanced section of printing preferences, change the default to '
> > print in grayscale'. That should do the trick.
> > Franko.
>
> Some printer still use the colour cart when printing in greyscale. On these
> printers all the greyscale option does is convert the image from colour to
> greyscale, it still uses the colour carts. They mix the colours to make gray
> and improve the quality of black and white images.

What about checking the greyscale option and also checking the black
only option under it? Will that use the color cartridge?

> "Franko" <noone@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>
> > In the advanced section of printing preferences, change the default to '
> > print in grayscale'. That should do the trick.
> > Franko.
>
> What about checking the greyscale option and also checking the black
> only option under it? Will that use the color cartridge?

This will use only the black cartridge for printing as you wish. The print
quality will not be quite as good as when using the color cartridge for
grayscale printing. Be aware that there will still be a very small amount of
color ink used for servicing.

Regards,

Bob Headrick wrote:
> <littleboyblu87@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > "Franko" <noone@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > In the advanced section of printing preferences, change the default to '
> > > print in grayscale'. That should do the trick.
> > > Franko.
> >
> > What about checking the greyscale option and also checking the black
> > only option under it? Will that use the color cartridge?
>
> This will use only the black cartridge for printing as you wish. The print
> quality will not be quite as good as when using the color cartridge for
> grayscale printing. Be aware that there will still be a very small amount of
> color ink used for servicing.

This is the setting I've been using for over a year. Yet, more colored
ink has been used then black ink. I never use the colored ink either.

<littleboyblu87@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> What about checking the greyscale option and also checking the black
> only option under it? Will that use the color cartridge?

Yes if you have that option I would expect it to work. However it _might_
just convert the greyscale image to black and white (1 eg bit per pixel) and
still use the colour cart to underprint the black!

I am researching this as well. Having not used the color ink in over 9 months and having to go spend another $50 on cyan and magenta so I can print word docs does not make me happy!

I think there is an amount of the color ink that gets pre-loaded into the printer heads each time it turns on, I believe that is the process that uses the ink. Any idea how to stop this?

How to stop it is to buy a cheap laser printer -- I have one which I use about once a year -- it just turns on and works.

John Phillips

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012

Well I am Cheep... The cost of black ink is way too much and to be forced into paying more for color ink than black to print black pages is close to fraudulent. I would like to be able to take the color cartages out and only put them in if I was going to really use color.

Do we need to JAILBRAKE the printer to make them work the way we want?

erinalan

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I have to solutions for your problem.
1. Go to printing preference and click on print in grayscale mode. This will work when you have black cartridge only.
You are saying that this is not working for you. You can try second option:
2. Choose reserve mode, which will allow you to print with the black cartridge.

You can purchase a new cartridge here <a href="http://www.inkandtoner.ie/laser-toner-cartridges-s/1826.htm">laser toners cartridge</a>