godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
I need some kind of box/bag to store my A62 3200+ venice. I bought it OEM in a mobo/cpu combo. Any place that sells CPU boxes or storage devices? google didn't help at all. Any way to make one on my own? I want to sell the proc so the storage device must be sturdy.

thanks

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I need some kind of box/bag to store my A62 3200+ venice. I bought it OEM in a mobo/cpu combo. Any place that sells CPU boxes or storage devices? google didn't help at all. Any way to make one on my own? I want to sell the proc so the storage device must be sturdy.

thanks

Get a little piece of styrofoam. Most packaging has thin pieces.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Don't use styrofoam, it builds static charge ---- last I checked styrofoam was an polymeric insulator and is not appropriate to hold CPU's. BaronMatrix is a forum regular who often knows not what he speaks.

A manilla envelop, or if you can swing buy a radio shack, get an electrostatic free bag or the graphite black foam that presses into pins. You can also find electrostatic boxes

Here, here is a picture of what I am talking about.
picturemf2.jpg

You can get one of these nifty boxes, google Corstat.
http://www.thomasnet.com/profile/460037/conductive-containers-inc.html
Jack

Yeah because those pesky UPS guys have been known to stand there rubbing their feet across the carpet in the depot.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

thanks

Don't use styrofoam, it builds static charge ---- last I checked styrofoam was an polymeric insulator and is not appropriate to hold CPU's. A manilla envelop, or if you can swing buy a radio shack, get an electrostatic free bag.

Jack

Very true in general, however, there are foams (esters) which have anti static propeties and are used for protecting fragile electronics.

You can find some here:

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_2355.asp?desc=ESD+Protective+Shippers

This is similar to the type I have used to line my computer enclosures as a sound dampener:

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_8002.asp?desc=Anti%2DStatic+Convoluted+Foam+Sets

Peace

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Dude, if you want to sqeeze your CPU into a styrofoam slot --- more power to 'ya ---- at some point it will give you a good excuse to go buy another AMD processor --- and they need the cash flow about now.

But don't recommend to a new user a means to ruin a CPU.

Jack

Yeah, dude just get a lttle piece of something else so JumpingJagOff is happy.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Don't use styrofoam, it builds static charge ---- last I checked styrofoam was an polymeric insulator and is not appropriate to hold CPU's. BaronMatrix is a forum regular who often knows not what he speaks.

A manilla envelop, or if you can swing buy a radio shack, get an electrostatic free bag or the graphite black foam that presses into pins. You can also find electrostatic boxes

picturemf2.jpg

Jack

Quite right. Styrofoam = bad.
Esters are the way to go.

Listen to Jack
Baronmatrix = WRONG

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

picturemf2.jpg

Jack

Listen to Jack
Baronmatrix = WRONG

If it shorts out his CPU I will buy it. Put on a grounding strap and go for it.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

picturemf2.jpg

Jack

Listen to Jack
Baronmatrix = WRONG

Baron, You are playing your old game of talking out your behind, about something you dont really know about.

You said styrofoam. This is wrong. Period. For someone who claims to be an ME, you should know this. It part of the whole "materials science" thingy.

There are, however foams which do have anti static properties. These are not "styrofoams". They are specifcally members of the esters.

THE CHARCOAL PACKING FOAM YOU PICTURED IS AN ESTER, NOT STYROFOAM.

In short, Jack is right, you are WRONG

"any old piece of foam" (i.e styrofoam) simply will not do. Period.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Easy way: Use the box/packaging from your next CPU purchase, retail or OEM.

Or...

Use Jack's method. It's pretty safe, and shouldn't damage the CPU.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I'd just wrap it in a anti-static bag, and do it loosly so the bag is 4 layers thick on the bottom, then through it in a pile of peanuts (the styrofoam ones) and keep it loose.

I also have a bunch of the plastic carriers, I don't like them as much since they are a pain to open if they cilp shut too hard.

Baron, what good is putting a grounding strap on going to do? Disipate the static from the styrofoam for the few seconds you put the cpu in it, then get charged again as soon as you throw it in the peanuts?

Now if you are grounded while putting the cpu in the styrofoam, then put the styrofoam in an anti-static bag (while still touching a chassis or using a strap), you're going to be alright, as long as the person opening it is grounded while opening the bag. But I still wouldn't do it.

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
thank you jack, i'll drop by radio shack tomorrow. I can't use the box from my next CPU, cause i'm buying it from a friend who lost the retail box.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
If radio shock doesn't have any, stop by any local pc place, they'll be glad to get rid of some, still got hundreds laying in my garage from my old company.

EDIT: Darn pack rack tendencies.....

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I just had another idea, I work for a cable company and totally forgot, they have LOTS of static bags from their equipment, hit up your local comcast office and they'll probably give you some BIG bags!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I got a block of 200 anti-static bags (big enough to hold a medium sized graphics card) from eBay for around £4 (with delivery). They've been really handy for storing delicate objects such as my inexplicably large collection of ethernet NICs, but also for shipping computer goods for eBay sales.

Make sure you use the BM method too though, rub your CPU on the carpet for good luck.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Bwhahhaaaaaaa....whoooo, pffttheeeehhaaaaaa ----wow, give me air... *wipes tears from eyes*

whoooo *breaths* whoooo

Bwhgaaaaahaaaaa,whoooheee heee :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Baron, I am not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.

Tell me how do you ground an insulator? :roll:

Even if he could, imagine the instructions to the mail man

"please leave this 6 ft long conductive strap in contact with some form of grounded metal at all times"

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
quite interesting..that's exactly how my AMD XP palomino was shipped...course it died 6 months later on a faulty SOYO mobo. I put it back in the foam. :cry: Only the good die young

second_derivative

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I vote BaronMatrix for 'Forum Retard' of the year. :trophy:

:trophy: I vote this POST OF THE DAY!!! :trophy:

Isn't it amazing --- from how a CPU is made, to how it works, to how it is packaged, to how it is sold and now on how to store one.... no words can describe it --- dumbfounding, flabberghasting,... nope, not quite -- I just cannot find the word.

I damn near cried from laughing... :lol:

link75

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006

thanks

LOOK HERE!!!

whats all this long blabbing about??? you dont need NASA personel to solve simple problems?

Go by ANY hardware Service center/techie and ask for an old CPU box, they will gladly give you one as they throw out plenty weekly from systems they build. Who knows you may be lucky to even get the exact box that your CPU is packaged in. You may just look into their dumpster first before going in to ask em.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Isn't it amazing --- from how a CPU is made, to how it works, to how it is packaged, to how it is sold and now on how to store one.... no words can describe it --- dumbfounding, flabberghasting,... nope, not quite -- I just cannot find the word.

STFU. Do you think I remember th crap that CPUs - sometimes - come in? If you are grounded and the styrofoam is on a counter, and there is no juice running when you push the CPU in, it will not move and so static discharge can not occur.

It was meant to be a quick fix with things he probably already has.

But play your "short bus" games while I actually produce things.

cyborg_ninja-117

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

STFU. Do you think I remember th crap that CPUs - sometimes - come in? If you are grounded and the styrofoam is on a counter, and there is no juice running when you push the CPU in, it will not move and so static discharge can not occur.

it will still have a static charge...

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Cant argue with you on that point BM, you've been producing BS for over 2000 posts now. Well done.

BM, you just owned yourself so badly, it’s not even funny, its just pathetic. I’m not even going to bother explaining it to you. I’m only going to say this. You are wrong. Grow up, be a man, grow a pair and admit you're wrong.

I eagerly await one of your intellectually challenging retorts like STFU, or some more of your little backward messages. I’m sorry, did I say challenging?.... I meant challenged.