CNPS9500 led V scythe models

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Transferred from the memory thread we hijacked:

wusy wrote:
Note the different RPM/noise fan being used on the coolers. 45dB vs. 35dB is a noticible difference

But 45dB of noise at 50cm (2 inches) is not going to be 45 dB when the case is closed and tucked under my desk 4 feet away from me. With that in mind, I dont expect Ill hear that thing over my case fans at all.

wusy wrote:
No 92mm can ever match a 120mm HSF under the same condition (CFM, noise, room temp...etc.)

But it just did. Yes a bit louder at 100% but cools just as well.

the 92mm CNPS9500 had the exact same temp as the Shogun and Katana. Was only one degree behind the Ninja and the Mine.

I doesnt matter what CPU they are on. Its a relative comparison to each other. So if you put them all on a much higher wattage CPU, the temps go up relatively the same for all. That one degree difference isnt going to turn in to a 15 degree difference is it? Maybe it is, Im not an expert in thermaldynamics.

I get what you are saying. Im just saying that the superior design of the 9500 allows it to work as well as larger 120mm HS's. As I said before, if they made a 120mm version of the 9500 how do you think it would do against the rest? I think it would crush the competition because of its design.

See Im switching from agp ddr400 to pci-e and DDR2 so its a new mobo, ram, cpu, and HS all in one shot. Thats a big chunk of money all at once. I wont skimp on a mobo cause I want to use it for a while. So I have no choice to go REALLY cheap on CPU, and ram. when I recoup some money I will definately take your guys advice and buy a better CPU. Then Better ram. I also dont want to hang a 1kilo piece of metal on my motherboard and have it take up the whole case. Thats why I chose the 9500. Once I get a newer 65nm cpu I wont be needing as much cooling and the Zalman will work all the way up to a core duo.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Well since your over inflated ego is obviously getting in the way of civil conversation/discussion let me dumb it down for YOU a bit.

We have three variables:
Performance, noise, and size.

You get to pick 2 cause you dont get all three. You can have a big quiet one that works or you can have a small loud on that works or you can have a small quiet one but it doesnt work.

Scythe chose noise and performance. They have to sacrafice size and make thiers really big.

Zalman chose size and performance. And therefore are able to have a smaller package. They use a higher RPM fan, its louder.

You didnt own anyone. Your just being a dumb shizz that has a superiority complex. You have yet to show me evidence of your statements. You keep acting like they are way better and they are clearly not WAY better. Only very slightly better just WAY bigger. I have seen no evidence that a Mine or a ninja would do more than a couple degrees better at a high wattage level. They would simply need a louder fan to be WAY better and thus would sacrafice 2 of our three options.

And your bringing up a freezer 7 sounds of desperation. That thing has cheap plastic clips that hold it on if im not mistaken.

You are right about one thing, this conversation is over. And a piece of advice, acting like just because you may have a little more knowledge and have "bigger" hardware vicariously make YOU better. Well, that just screams out loud the fact that you are obviously overcompensating for a huge inferiority complex. next time dont be a dink about it.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
How do you get through the door with that big head of yours. Well since you just had to let your ego get the best of you and keep replying. And further demonstrate your ignorance by once again missing the point. Then again you've been missing the point every step of the way. Maybe some day you'll figure it out. Then again maybe not.

I looked at the link you posted and guess what, the 9500 only had a 23 C rise with 50db and the Shogun a scythe 120mm unit was almost 10 C warmer at same noise. Your agruements about it not being able to keep up are starting to fall apart. I was also looking at a Pentium D 820 I think it was. OC'ed to 4Ghz with the 9500 on it as well as a Ninja, Samori and a couple other big boys. The 9500 was only 2 degrees behind. Sorry but you lose.

And I hate to burst you overinflated bubble but just because size doesnt matter to you. (women just SAY that to make you feel better)Well, the world doesnt revolve around you either. It may matter to me and others. But as I said you just keep missing the point. and insisting on turning this into a pissing match. Get a grip on the insecurity.

Justify myself to you. Thats laughable. I'll just point and laugh at you for not getting it.

28,000 posts!!! wow! Dood Go outside. I hear New Zealand has got beautiful hiking.

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I'm with Wusy. I've never found a reason to seriously consider a Zalman. To my mind they're the brash, expensive "bling" option and it's hard to see past cheaper Scythe Mines/Ninjas which get the job done quietly at low cfm.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I cant recommend anything to anyone cause I dont know enough yet to know which one to get myself. I'm trying to figure that one out. I was just making a/some counter points and you kinda took it personally for some reason. In the beginning I said I just needed convincing. Well you guys have dont a fair job of convincing me. I have no doubt that those are better HS's. But the question is do I need THAT MUCH cooling. Im going to clock a 805 as far as I can then when I can afford it Ill buy a newer CPU that should be less power hungry. At that point the question is will I need a 120mm HS. Im coming from socket 462. Stock Ghz is going to be huge improvement. Just dont piss on me cause I had a counter point. I want a smaller HS if possible. I may have to pay for that that all Im saying.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I have absolutely no delusions about hitting 4Ghz!! It aint gonna happen. I dont even thing the P5B Deluxe WiFi (Im looking at that board) will do it. Well not on a locked multiplier CPu anyways. But consider this, Im coming off a 462, That 805 even at stock is going to be a major improvement. And thats not to mention the fact that Ill also go from agp to PCI-E 16x and from DDR1-400 to DDR2-800. Its gonna be like night and day even at stock speeds. I really only had my sights on around 3.4 to 3.6 Ghz. And its a matter of personel preference, I would prefer to use a smaller HS.

So the question still remains for anyone to key in on. If, say next year, I buy a 65nm processor will I still need a ninja or big typhoon? Will at that point, (that point being maybe the core 2 duo's are cheaper) a 92mm freezer 7 pro or a 9500 but enough? Do you know of any boards that WILL do 4GHz. Im still considering everything, Mobo, ram, HS, memory. Im reading like a freek so when I jump Im least likely to have incompatable hardware.

Plus I just want to install something that probably gonna slice me up and make me bleed all over my motherboard, I hear they are really sharp. Actually the Blue goes with my blue case, case fans, etc.

sony3127

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
This is funny reading this thread, but I'm actually kinda glad you two seem to have worked out your differences. It looked like it was about to get out of hand, but you both seemed to get it under control and get back into a civilized conversation. NICE!

Anyway, I was reading this thread origionally b/c I'm trying to get either a C2D E6700 or X6800 and OC them... but I just can't figure out what HSF to get. I was looking at the Zalman, but I keep seeing people on here talking about how quiet the Ninja's and such are... I need max cooling for the OC'ing and I would really like it to be as quiet as possible. Size isn't really a problem for me... I'm putting all of this in a Thermaltake Armor case and they're pretty spacious from what I've read. Thanks!

So the question still remains for anyone to key in on. If, say next year, I buy a 65nm processor will I still need a ninja or big typhoon? Will at that point, (that point being maybe the core 2 duo's are cheaper) a 92mm freezer 7 pro or a 9500 but enough? Do you know of any boards that WILL do 4GHz. Im still considering everything, Mobo, ram, HS, memory. Im reading like a freek so when I jump Im least likely to have incompatable hardware.

Several months ago before I even knew Conroe was coming out I was looking at HSF for a S939 A64 X2 4400+ build. Based on reviews at both SilentPCReview (the forum too) and Madshrimp (and a couple of other sites) I decided on the Scythe Ninja. I was basically looking for an effective and quiet HSF solution. The Scythe Ninja caught my eye because the fan was optional and the more daring users over at SilentPCReview as using the Ninja to passively cool a X2 4600+ at stock speeds.

Upon further investigation I read that the Zalman 7700 and 9500 were both louder than the older 7000. While they are both good HSF solutions the Scythe Ninja was better for both quiet operation and cool performance. combination. I don't recall if the Scythe Ninja cooling performance was better than the Zalman 9500 at minimum fan speed, but I know I impressed with te Ninja's performance and price.

Getting to your question about 65nm CPUs, the Scythe Ninja should be able to passively cool the Core 2 Duo E6600 (the CPU I'm getting) since it uses 52w of power at stock speed while the Athlon X2 3800+ uses 82w of power at stock speed. Of course that is power usage and not heat dissipation, but in general the more power a component uses, the more heat is generate. If I recall correctly Core 2 Duo's are rated at 65w TDP (with the exception of the X6800), the X2 3800+ is rated at 89w TDP. I should add that AMD will be releasing 35w and 65w TDP versions of the X2 3800+ as well. Based on both power consumption and TDP values, I think the Scythe Ninja should be able to passively cool the E6600 at stock speed and higher. But it should be done with caution, meaning using a fan first and checking the temperature.

Here's a link to CPU power consumption charts.

I should add though that AMD and Intel measures TDP differently. AMD's TDP represents the CPU working under the worse possible, while Intel is roughly 75% of CPU usage.

Having the fan attached on the Scythe Ninja will naturally make it a better cooling solution, and in most PC case having the fan run at minimial speed will not increase the noise in the average PC. My personal PC will be as quiet as possible. For 4GHz I would recommend max fan speed though.

Regarding other components, by next there will be more available motherboards. nVidia has not released any nForce 5 chipsets for Core2 Duo CPUs yet. As of now you will want to avoid the 965 chipset as they do not allow for much overclocking. In fact, I've read at several places that if you stick the X6800 in a 965 motherboard you will not be able to increase the clock multiplier. You want a 975X motherboard (at least until nVidia releases their chipset) and for extreme overclocking it wouldn't be anything less than the Asus P5W DH which will run you $250 - $320 depending on where you buy it from. As for RAM, it would be Corsair XMS DDR2 800 RAM.

Don't go too crazy yet over which components to select since you will not be building your PC until next year. In addition to newer motherboards, DirectX 10 video cards will by out by next year. Therefore, you will not need to do research on any of the DX 9 video cards out right now, unless you want to aviod DX10 cards for some reason.

Get a good namebrand power supply. Don't be like most people and devote $50 out of a $1500 budget (or whatever) for the PSU. I have and highly recommend the Seasonic S12 500. Go for the S12 600 if you think you really need more power. Other PSUs I recommend are from Antec, Enermax, Fortron Source, and Silverstone.

Having the fan attached on the Scythe Ninja will naturally make it a better cooling solution, and in most PC case having the fan run at minimial speed will not increase the noise in the average PC. My personal PC will be as quiet as possible. For 4GHz I would recommend max fan speed though.

Upon thinking about this further I am going to restate my recommendation. If 4.0GHz is the goal for your Core 2 Duo, then I recommend water cooling. What water cooling kit to get? I don't know. Never done extreme overclocking.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Arctic Cooling FTW!!! Makes me feel better about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro...[H]ard OCP did a review on it and marked "mediocre perfomance". WTF?

~Ibrahim~

Regarding other components, by next there will be more available motherboards. nVidia has not released any nForce 5 chipsets for Core2 Duo CPUs yet. As of now you will want to avoid the 965 chipset as they do not allow for much overclocking.
You've been lagging behind.

Go read up the zillions of GA-965P-DS3 + Allendale result on the net. :wink:

Oops!!! :oops:

I was only reviewing 975X mobos 'cause I'm still using IDE drives. I figure it's cheaper than buying a 965 mobo (all of which only supports 2 IDE devices) and 3 new SATA drives.

Plus 975X mobo should be compatible with Kentsfield, should I be insane enough to think that I really need a quad core PC.

The Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 also has been confirmed to support Kentsfiled, but its price on NewEgg is up there with P5WDH! Should be a lot cheaper if found using Pricewatch.

I'm strickly looking at the 975X mobo though 'cause I have 3 IDE hard drives which I don't feel like replacing with 3 SATA hard drives. The are a few 975X mobo that supports 4 IDE devices like the MSI 975X Platinum Power Up, and the Asus P5W DH.

There aren't any 965 mobos that has support dual channel IDE; only single channel.

Being a die-hard full cached fan I am, I'll be going for the E6600 which means limiting to only 975X for overclocking.
My aim is when E6600 price drops below MSRP, I'll want pushing it beyond 450x9 on water.

I don't like joining the typical bunch with their 965P+Allendale on 500x7 or 350x9 on 975X+Conroe. I'm too elite for them.

It'll be just like the old days with my Barton.

I'm not sure how much I will OC my E6600; I guess I'm growing out of my OC'ing days. Therefore, I'm debating if I should just settle for DDR 2 667 RAM instead of DDR2 800. But going for DDR2 800 means I can probably keep very tight settings if I don't OC too much.

Anywaste, my new rig will replace my Athlon XP-M system which over 4 years old by now.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
used but who cares... i buy lots of computer stuff used. Saves me the tax and i get it at 60-70% of original cost. lots of stupid enthusiasts dishing stuff out all the time where i live