Mods = unstable...

I've been looking at mods lately, but I'm a little reluctant to add any more
at this point. I've added only a few, and it seems to have seriously
destabilized the game. I ran the TESTools program to merge the Level Lists,
but I'm not really sure it helped. Here's a list of everything I'm running,
in order, in case anybody knows of any plugins that might have a problem
that I should consider getting rid of...

Better Heads
entertainers (What's the point of this? Seems kinda silly to me)
AreaEffectArrows (Haven't used yet)
bcsounds
master_index
LeFemmArmor (Never use, should get rid of it)
adamantiumarmor (Haven't started yet)
EBQ_Artifact
Siege at Firemoth (Tried doing the quest twice, crashed after ~5 minutes.
This may be suspect...)
PotionSorter
AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0 (this one I think I want to remove anyhow, just
'cuz it's really annoying. Plus it makes no sense hearing dogs and cats and
horses in the towns, when nobody's seen a dog, cat, or horse in Morrowind in
years...)
Sris_Alchemy_BM
Hilda
marcMoriEstate
IcesRobeReplacerMW
MagicThread (Haven't used yet, but looks possibly cool)
Better Bodies
Abu Manor v.2 (may remove this one in favor of the marcMoriEstate, or maybe
I'll change my mind and get a different house mod altogether, but there's no
need to have more than one...)
Merged_Leveled_Lists
Merged_Objects
Merged_Dialogs

Those last 3 were created by the TESTools program. Am I supposed to remove
everything else but those or something? The documentation wasn't clear on
this one. I hear about people running 80+ mods, and I just wonder how they
manage to do this without it constantly crashing all the time...
14 answers Last reply
More about mods unstable

    For a very long time I avoided mods for just this reason. Usually,
    however, I don't think mods affect stability much. My game CTDs
    all the time, with or without mods.

    You could try cutting back to just the official mods for a while to
    see if your stabilty improves.

    > For a very long time I avoided mods for just this reason. Usually,
    > however, I don't think mods affect stability much. My game CTDs
    > all the time, with or without mods.
    >
    > You could try cutting back to just the official mods for a while to
    > see if your stabilty improves.

    I'm just not sure how many of those I can safely remove without screwing up
    my saves. For example, the house mods I probably have to keep, since I've
    already loaded up my stuff in one of them, and am partially working towards
    moving it all to the other one. Most of those mods are part of the official
    plugins pack, which are supposed to be somewhat safe. This includes:

    adamantiumarmor, area_affect_arrows, bittercoastsounds, ebartifact,
    entertainers, firemoth_v11, lefemmarmor_v11, masterindex

    These mods are all theoretically safe, though one of them (Firemoth) has
    been shown to pretty reliably crash the game every time I've attempted to do
    the quest. (Probably something to do with 3 followers + lots of skeletons
    being too much to handle at once.) That leaves:

    -Better Heads, Better Bodies (pretty much on the must-have list for
    everybody, from what I've seen)
    -Potion Sorter (Simple mod, just changes potion names to make them ordered
    by type, rather than quality)
    -AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0 (This is highly suspect. The game seems to
    slow to a crawl when walking through town now, and I think it's because of
    all those extra sound effects it's trying to play. Unfortunately, I'm not
    sure if this can be safely removed. It had an installer, which did
    something to the Morrowind.ini file, so I don't know if there will be
    conflicts...)
    -Sris_Alchemy (Adds new ingredients and balances old ones, should be pretty
    safe)
    -Hilda (Already addicted. I hope I don't have to get rid of this one. All
    companion NPCs should be like this. I just hate most escort missions
    because their AI stinks, but Hilda never gets lost and always keeps up with
    you, which is great...)
    -marcMoriEstate (my new home, and I'm a keepin' it.)
    -Abu Manor (my old home, may get rid of it once I've moved all my stuff
    out.)
    -IcesRobeReplacer (Keeping it, if only because I can actually tell the
    difference between male and female NPCs in robes for the first time since I
    started playing the game...)
    -Magic Thread (Possibly a problem, but I haven't used it yet, so I doubt
    there's any conflicts.)

    How stable is Morrowind on your machine when you're not running any
    mods? I run about 230 with no problems, myself. But the amount of
    mods enabled doesn't matter all that much - you're more likely to have
    problems with one poorly-made mod rather than a mass of well-made ones.
    Most of the mods that you've listed are relatively well-known and
    well-made, though, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm not
    familiar with Magic Thread, however.

    "Jaxalot" <jaxalot@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > How stable is Morrowind on your machine when you're not running any
    > mods? I run about 230 with no problems, myself. But the amount of
    > mods enabled doesn't matter all that much - you're more likely to have
    > problems with one poorly-made mod rather than a mass of well-made ones.
    > Most of the mods that you've listed are relatively well-known and
    > well-made, though, so I don't think that's the problem. I'm not
    > familiar with Magic Thread, however.

    I run a lot of mods on my system too. Once I made certain I had the latest
    version of the game, I've experienced very few stability problems since I
    started to do one thing. Everytime I install a new mod I first call it up
    into the editor and save it so that it will be compatiable with the current
    version of Morrowind I'm running. Firemoth (if memory serves) was one of
    the 'official' plug-ins that was incompatiable with the most current version
    of the game. I'm not certain that this will help your 'stability' problems,
    but making certain your plug-ins match your current game version certainly
    will not hurt the problem.

    --
    MJB

    Mr. Tin's Painting Workshop:
    http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

    > I run a lot of mods on my system too. Once I made certain I had the
    latest
    > version of the game, I've experienced very few stability problems since I
    > started to do one thing. Everytime I install a new mod I first call it up
    > into the editor and save it so that it will be compatiable with the
    current
    > version of Morrowind I'm running. Firemoth (if memory serves) was one of
    > the 'official' plug-ins that was incompatiable with the most current
    version
    > of the game. I'm not certain that this will help your 'stability'
    problems,
    > but making certain your plug-ins match your current game version certainly
    > will not hurt the problem.

    Firemoth is definitely problematic. I wouldn't say that it's incompatible,
    per se. I mean, it runs, but the minute there's more than 3 or 4 skeletons
    on screen at once it chugs and then crashes. I'm thinking maybe if I go and
    visit the Firemoth island myself, instead of bringing along the three
    useless companions, it might run better. (At my level, most companions are
    useless. I make an exception for Hilda, because she can keep up with me, is
    not hurt by friendly fire so she doesn't get in the way, and she can carry
    stuff, which is very helpful.)

    Just out of curiosity, what is the latest version and how do I get it? It
    looks like I'm running 1.6.1820, which is what you get from just installing
    from the GotY edition, with Tribunal and Bloodmoon. I wouldn't be surprised
    if I'm somewhat behind on that one. If installing the latest makes the game
    more stable, I can live without Firemoth if it's going to cause problems...

    "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message

    > Firemoth is definitely problematic. I wouldn't say that it's
    > incompatible,
    > per se. I mean, it runs, but the minute there's more than 3 or 4
    > skeletons
    > on screen at once it chugs and then crashes.

    I've run Firemoth a few times and never experienced that problem.

    > Just out of curiosity, what is the latest version and how do I get it? It
    > looks like I'm running 1.6.1820, which is what you get from just
    > installing
    > from the GotY edition, with Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

    That's the latest.

    Sarah wrote:
    > "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
    >
    > > Firemoth is definitely problematic. I wouldn't say that it's
    > > incompatible,
    > > per se. I mean, it runs, but the minute there's more than 3 or 4
    > > skeletons
    > > on screen at once it chugs and then crashes.
    >
    > I've run Firemoth a few times and never experienced that problem.
    >
    > > Just out of curiosity, what is the latest version and how do I get
    it? It
    > > looks like I'm running 1.6.1820, which is what you get from just
    > > installing
    > > from the GotY edition, with Tribunal and Bloodmoon.
    >
    > That's the latest.

    Yep, GOTY ships with the last made patch.

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    >>I run a lot of mods on my system too. Once I made certain I had the
    >
    > latest
    >
    >>version of the game, I've experienced very few stability problems since I
    >>started to do one thing. Everytime I install a new mod I first call it up
    >>into the editor and save it so that it will be compatiable with the
    >
    > current
    >
    >>version of Morrowind I'm running. Firemoth (if memory serves) was one of
    >>the 'official' plug-ins that was incompatiable with the most current
    >
    > version
    >
    >>of the game. I'm not certain that this will help your 'stability'
    >
    > problems,
    >
    >>but making certain your plug-ins match your current game version certainly
    >>will not hurt the problem.
    >

    > Firemoth is definitely problematic. I wouldn't say that it's incompatible,
    > per se. I mean, it runs, but the minute there's more than 3 or 4 skeletons
    > on screen at once it chugs and then crashes. I'm thinking maybe if I go and
    > visit the Firemoth island myself, instead of bringing along the three
    > useless companions, it might run better. (At my level, most companions are
    > useless. I make an exception for Hilda, because she can keep up with me, is
    > not hurt by friendly fire so she doesn't get in the way, and she can carry
    > stuff, which is very helpful.)
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, what is the latest version and how do I get it? It
    > looks like I'm running 1.6.1820, which is what you get from just installing
    > from the GotY edition, with Tribunal and Bloodmoon. I wouldn't be surprised
    > if I'm somewhat behind on that one. If installing the latest makes the game
    > more stable, I can live without Firemoth if it's going to cause problems...

    It sounds as if the problem is not the module (which I ran long before
    Tribunal so I doubt if the version is the problem), but your hardware.
    Crashes when a lot of activity occur are usually because the video card
    quits -- either it is too hot (the card's temperature, not the
    motherboard's or CPU's) or the power supply is not up to the demands.
    To test this feel the video card right after one of these crashes and
    see if it is too hot to touch. to test the power supply use a program
    to monitor the voltages (such as Motherboard Monitor 5) and see if they
    go out of whack during the game.

    > I've been looking at mods lately, but I'm a little reluctant to add any
    > more
    > at this point. I've added only a few, and it seems to have seriously
    > destabilized the game. I ran the TESTools program to merge the Level
    > Lists,
    > but I'm not really sure it helped. <snip> I hear about people running 80+
    > mods, and I just wonder how they
    > manage to do this without it constantly crashing all the time...

    I run many many many mods, with the TESTools program, and with minimal
    crashing, and currently only one itty bitty issue (wherever did the
    fletching_knife texture go?). The level list thing seems to have made a big
    difference for me, also I did have to one time do a clean reinstall of
    Morrowind and all 5 zillion mods after having one mod (no clue which one)
    eat the textures on the Algonians (they all went albino on me).

    I found a great resource at http://www.TweakTown.com/ that helped me nearly
    eliminate all CTD and hissy fits caused by Morrowind and it's Mods: The
    Morrowind Tweak Guide. It gives a detailed set of recommendations on how to
    tweak both your Morrowind and your computer settings so that the game will
    be more stable. Worked for me. If you can't find it, email me and I'll send
    you a copy. For the record, I currently feed my Morrowind Addiction on a
    1.5 ghz Athlon with 512k RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce4 video-card that began
    it's life as an extremely less powerful Compaq with a very generic
    videocard, until death of computer bits happened....

    Hope this helps...

    Coyote

    > I run many many many mods, with the TESTools program, and with minimal
    > crashing, and currently only one itty bitty issue (wherever did the
    > fletching_knife texture go?). The level list thing seems to have made a
    big
    > difference for me, also I did have to one time do a clean reinstall of
    > Morrowind and all 5 zillion mods after having one mod (no clue which one)
    > eat the textures on the Algonians (they all went albino on me).
    >
    > I found a great resource at http://www.TweakTown.com/ that helped me
    nearly
    > eliminate all CTD and hissy fits caused by Morrowind and it's Mods: The
    > Morrowind Tweak Guide. It gives a detailed set of recommendations on how
    > tweak both your Morrowind and your computer settings so that the game will
    > be more stable. Worked for me. If you can't find it, email me and I'll
    send
    > you a copy. For the record, I currently feed my Morrowind Addiction on a
    > 1.5 ghz Athlon with 512k RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce4 video-card that began
    > it's life as an extremely less powerful Compaq with a very generic
    > videocard, until death of computer bits happened....

    Yeah, if you could send that to me, that would help. Send it to
    lurlockATbellsouthDOTcom. For the record, my system is an Athalon 2.4ghz,
    512MB ram, Radeon 8500 video.

    (I used to own a Compaq as well, so I sympathize. Will never buy another
    namebrand computer again, especially Compaq.)

    >> I found a great resource at http://www.TweakTown.com/ If you can't find
    >> it, email me and I'll
    > send
    >> you a copy. For the record, I currently feed my Morrowind Addiction on a
    >> 1.5 ghz Athlon with 512k RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce4 video-card that began
    >> it's life as an extremely less powerful Compaq with a very generic
    >> videocard, until death of computer bits happened....
    >
    > Yeah, if you could send that to me, that would help. Send it to
    > lurlockATbellsouthDOTcom. For the record, my system is an Athalon 2.4ghz,
    > 512MB ram, Radeon 8500 video.
    >
    > (I used to own a Compaq as well, so I sympathize. Will never buy another
    > namebrand computer again, especially Compaq.)

    Check your email.

    I'm working on convincing my husband that when Oblivion comes out, I will
    ABSOLUTELY NEED a bleeding edge computer with expensive specs, so that I
    will have a powerful enough computer to (barely) be able to handle the game
    that I absolutely NEED to own.

    Er, and a heftier cable connection, so I can download the gazillion mods
    that I wll also of course need.

    Coyote

    "Starwolf" <starwolf13@wowway.com> wrote in message

    > Check your email.

    Well, don't check your email. I've tried twice, at the
    lurlockATbellsouthDOTcom (with @ and . substitutions), and both times the
    email came back with a delivery failure.....

    ?

    > Well, don't check your email. I've tried twice, at the
    > lurlockATbellsouthDOTcom (with @ and . substitutions), and both times the
    > email came back with a delivery failure.....

    Oops. My bad. Make that '.net', not '.com'.

    >> Well, don't check your email. I've tried twice, at the
    >> lurlockATbellsouthDOTcom (with @ and . substitutions), and both times the
    >> email came back with a delivery failure.....
    >
    > Oops. My bad. Make that '.net', not '.com'.

    Resent. :)

Games Video Games