Overall reddish prints

I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo Paper.
On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures were
reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All pictures
were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem with camera
and screen color.

Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color level
from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures were still
reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what is the
problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head? Need your
help. Satoshi

When I looked at ink cartridges, PM (photomagenta) ink was consumed too
much.
The problem seems to be associated with the too much flow of PM.
Is there anyway to prevent flow of PM ink? Satoshi

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
>were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
>pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
>with camera and screen color.
>
> Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
> level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
> were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
> is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
> Need your help. Satoshi

Jim

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
Paper.
> On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures were
> reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All pictures
> were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem with
camera
> and screen color.
>
> Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
level
> from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures were
still
> reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what is the
> problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head? Need
your
> help. Satoshi

Have you created a profile for your printer, your inks, and your paper?
Did your print commands apply the profile twice?
Jim

That overall pink cast often means color matching is being applied more than
once in your printing chain.
Canon's protocols for printing with Photoshop are not straightforward and
even if you understand how to use them you will soon realize that they are
terrible anyway.
The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away and
buy an Epson.
If that is not practical when you are in print preview in Photoshop set the
"Profile" setting for Printer Color Management. Then set the Canon driver
for the paper type and for photographic quality (or you can experiment with
some other settings on the other driver tabs). The print preview should be
in approximately correct color. Alas, Canon printer drivers being what they
are, the final print will not likely resemble this as closely as it should.

Arte you using Canon OEM ink?

bmoag wrote:

>That overall pink cast often means color matching is being applied more than
>once in your printing chain.
>Canon's protocols for printing with Photoshop are not straightforward and
>even if you understand how to use them you will soon realize that they are
>terrible anyway.

Photoshop and my Canon IP4000 using OEM ink and Costco/Kirkland Glossy
Photo Paper do a great job and produce fantastic results.

>The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away and
>buy an Epson.

Bullshit

>If that is not practical when you are in print preview in Photoshop set the
>"Profile" setting for Printer Color Management. Then set the Canon driver
>for the paper type and for photographic quality (or you can experiment with
>some other settings on the other driver tabs). The print preview should be
>in approximately correct color. Alas, Canon printer drivers being what they
>are, the final print will not likely resemble this as closely as it should.

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed,
>pictures were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on
>prints. (All pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I
>don't see any problem with camera and screen color.
>
> Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed
> color level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed
> pictures were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am
> wondering what is the problem? Should I change magenta ink
> cartridge or print head? Need your help. Satoshi

For sure you are not double-profiling? There are at least two ways to
properly print:

- In PS > Print Preview: set Print Space to Printer Color Management.
Then in the printer driver, enable ICM.

- In PS > Print Preview: set Print Space to use a paper profile, then
in the printer driver disable ICM and make sure you use the same paper
as the paper profile.

However, I think I remember someone posting similar problems with
their i950 and so they then got a i9900 which printed fine. BUT, I
also remember at least one post about their i9900 prints being off -
Canon support determined it was a bad printer and indeed the
replacement was fine. So, there could be

"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
Paper.
> On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures were
> reddish overall.

Find a test image off the web and use that to work out if the problem is
with your monitor calibration or the printer.

Are you using Canon OEM ink?

Satoshi wrote:

>When I looked at ink cartridges, PM (photomagenta) ink was consumed too
>much.
>The problem seems to be associated with the too much flow of PM.
>Is there anyway to prevent flow of PM ink? Satoshi
>

>"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
>>were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
>>pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
>>with camera and screen color.
>>
>>Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
>>level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
>>were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
>>is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
>>Need your help. Satoshi

OEM ink has nothing to do with this discussion. The i950 has a problem with
a red tint regardless of the ink or paper sources. I've seen this problem
with Canon ink as well as 3rd party. That's one of the reasons I prefer my
iP4000 over my i950.
--
Ron

"measekite" <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote in message
> Are you using Canon OEM ink?
>
> Satoshi wrote:
>
>>When I looked at ink cartridges, PM (photomagenta) ink was consumed too
>>much.
>>The problem seems to be associated with the too much flow of PM.
>>Is there anyway to prevent flow of PM ink? Satoshi
>>

>>"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>>>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
>>>were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
>>>pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
>>>with camera and screen color.
>>>
>>>Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
>>>level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
>>>were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
>>>is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
>>>Need your help. Satoshi

zakezuke

> To state that they are exactly the same would have required evaluation with extremely
> sophisticated equipment.

Or a getto solution would be using a semi decent flat bed scanner
calibrated with a a decent color wheel or better still a color chart.
Sure it's not exact, esp taking into account it's harder to replace the
bulb with one you know is neutral than the olden days, but with enough
tweeking you can have a passable tool for color calibration and
something resembling quantitative color analysis. May not be perfect,
but at least a valuable tool to keep things consistant.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

You guys are hitting your heads against the wall. Copy your pictures on a CD
and take them to a friends house that has a HP printer and you will find
your color problem will be solved. Pete

> "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
> Paper.
> > On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures were
> > reddish overall.
>
> Find a test image off the web and use that to work out if the problem is
> with your monitor calibration or the printer.

BURT

Satoshi - The two light dye load inks, photo magenta and photo cyan, are
used up faster than the other inks under normal circumstances when printing
most photos. I have a Canon i960 and especially with pictures that have
people with skin tones that are more red than average I either adjust the
overall intensity to -4 or -6, or I adjust the magenta to a minus value that
gives the best print. I have seen one post that suggested -7 setting for
Magenta. Do not use the two higher quality paper settings - stay with the
glossy photo paper setting as you described. Print all pictures in manual
color setting. I found that the automatic setting came up very red. You
may or may not have to adjust the intensity or magenta as described above.
I use photoshop elements 2 and calibrated my monitor with the adobe gamma
program. When I first bought the printer I played with various settings and
papers to get the best color balance to my eye. When I started using
non-OEM inks I redid my tests and found that the test prints were comparable
to the OEM inks with every combination of settings and papers. I presently
use Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper with an aftermarket ink and the
settings I described above. Someone else answered your post with the
suggestion that you may have more than one software program trying to adjust
your colors. If the settings I suggested don't help[ then that may be your
problem.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:01:38 -0600, "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>When I looked at ink cartridges, PM (photomagenta) ink was consumed too
>much.
>The problem seems to be associated with the too much flow of PM.
>Is there anyway to prevent flow of PM ink? Satoshi

Yes, use colour management (but only once)>

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

The difference must be in the driver since ng readers claim that the ink
and the printhead is the same.

Ron Cohen wrote:

>OEM ink has nothing to do with this discussion. The i950 has a problem with
>a red tint regardless of the ink or paper sources. I've seen this problem
>with Canon ink as well as 3rd party. That's one of the reasons I prefer my
>iP4000 over my i950.

Why not go to a progessional photo lab.

Burt wrote:

>Satoshi - The two light dye load inks, photo magenta and photo cyan, are
>used up faster than the other inks under normal circumstances when printing
>most photos. I have a Canon i960 and especially with pictures that have
>people with skin tones that are more red than average I either adjust the
>overall intensity to -4 or -6, or I adjust the magenta to a minus value that
>gives the best print. I have seen one post that suggested -7 setting for
>Magenta. Do not use the two higher quality paper settings - stay with the
>glossy photo paper setting as you described. Print all pictures in manual
>color setting. I found that the automatic setting came up very red. You
>may or may not have to adjust the intensity or magenta as described above.
>I use photoshop elements 2 and calibrated my monitor with the adobe gamma
>program. When I first bought the printer I played with various settings and
>papers to get the best color balance to my eye. When I started using
>non-OEM inks I redid my tests and found that the test prints were comparable
>to the OEM inks with every combination of settings and papers.

I guess the word comparable does not mean nearly exact.

> I presently
>use Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper with an :-( aftermarket :-( ink and the
>settings I described above. Someone else answered your post with the
>suggestion that you may have more than one software program trying to adjust
>your colors. If the settings I suggested don't help[ then that may be your
>problem.
>
>"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
>>were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
>>pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
>>with camera and screen color.
>>
>>Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
>>level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
>>were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
>>is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
>>Need your help. Satoshi

BURT

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Satoshi - The two light dye load inks, photo magenta and photo cyan, are
>>used up faster than the other inks under normal circumstances when
>>printing most photos. I have a Canon i960 and especially with pictures
>>that have people with skin tones that are more red than average I either
>>adjust the overall intensity to -4 or -6, or I adjust the magenta to a
>>minus value that gives the best print. I have seen one post that
>>suggested -7 setting for Magenta. Do not use the two higher quality paper
>>settings - stay with the glossy photo paper setting as you described.
>>Print all pictures in manual color setting. I found that the automatic
>>setting came up very red. You may or may not have to adjust the intensity
>>or magenta as described above. I use photoshop elements 2 and calibrated
>>my monitor with the adobe gamma program. When I first bought the printer
>>I played with various settings and papers to get the best color balance to
>>my eye. When I started using non-OEM inks I redid my tests and found that
>>the test prints were comparable to the OEM inks with every combination of
>>settings and papers.
>
> I guess the word comparable does not mean nearly exact.

Nearly exact is an oxymoron. Exact is exact. To state that they are
exactly the same would have required evaluation with extremely sophisticated
equipment. I use the word comparable because to the naked eye (I can't wait
to see how Measekite twists this phrase) the photos I have printed with OEM
and with MIS inks both look the same, absent close scientific evaluation.
One or another of the areas may look very slightly more or less saturated or
very slightly more or less yellow, magenta, or cyan, but the key word here
is that the differences are so slight as to beg a closer evaluation. I am
not concerned if the OEM and MIS inks are or are not EXACTLY the same. Both
make extremely pleasing prints that reflect, as well as can be expected
without sophisticated customizing of the color profiles of monitor, printer,
camera, and paper/ink combinations, the colors of the original scenes. It is
apparent that Canon's profiles need a little adjustment with some of their
printers, but, in their "wisdom" they made a manual setting with adjustment
capability.

For those of us who were involved with color photography before the era of
point and shoot automatic cameras and the overwhelming use of Kodak 100,
200, or 400 negative film, we are acutely aware of the leaning of certain
films to the blue spectrum, others with oversaturated colors, etc. The
original 10 ASA Kodachrome slide material produced beautiful, albeit
oversaturated color slides. The first Ektachrome 25 ASA slide material had
a not so subtle shift to blues. We bought Pro packs of color negative film
(20 rolls, as I recall) and shot test prints of a known color chart to zero
in on that particular batch of film's characteristics before using it in the
field. The other 19 rolls were then stored in the refrigerator until used
as there could be color shifts with less-than-ideal storage conditions. I
mention all of this to reflect on Measekite's criticism that I did not say
the ink color matches were EXACT. Nothing in photograpy is EXACT, and
everything has to be tested and calibrated, even the most highly rated
professional negative film. Users of any ink, even OEM inks, must know that
different batches will almost never be EXACT, but they will, hopefully, be
pretty damned close. In other words, close enough that there is no
difference to the naked eye. I think this is where I started. Can we stop
beating this one to death?

>> I presently use Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper with an :-(
>> aftermarket :-( ink and the settings I described above. Someone else
>> answered your post with the suggestion that you may have more than one
>> software program trying to adjust your colors. If the settings I
>> suggested don't help[ then that may be your problem.
>>
>>"Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>>>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
>>>were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
>>>pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
>>>with camera and screen color.
>>>
>>>Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
>>>level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
>>>were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
>>>is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
>>>Need your help. Satoshi

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Burt wrote:

Nearly exact is an oxymoron. Exact is exact...

....Can we stop
beating this one to death?

I think you've just hammered the death knell. :)
Frank

BURT

Actually, Zake, for me it is sufficient to "eyeball" it. As long as I like
the print I am a happy camper. I am doing it solely for my own enjoyment.
That is why the term "exact" becomes an abstract concept for my printing
needs. During my professional career I dealt in producing results to
fractions of millimeters. Even with that kind of precision I would be
reluctant to say the work was EXACT! As we all know, even the most precise
measuring device is only accurate to a prestated value + or _. When I comes
to color values with inkjet printers, you hit it on the head. Consistancy
is something to strive for, as perfection is elusive.

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> To state that they are exactly the same would have required evaluation
>> with extremely
>> sophisticated equipment.
>
> Or a getto solution would be using a semi decent flat bed scanner
> calibrated with a a decent color wheel or better still a color chart.
> Sure it's not exact, esp taking into account it's harder to replace the
> bulb with one you know is neutral than the olden days, but with enough
> tweeking you can have a passable tool for color calibration and
> something resembling quantitative color analysis. May not be perfect,
> but at least a valuable tool to keep things consistant.

I found this morning that there were too many responses to my question.
Here is my response to bmoag

> The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away and
> buy an Epson

In the past I used a few Epson printers. I love Epson printers but because
of its persistent clogging, I dumped Epson and bought Canon printers.
If you recommend an Epson printer which does not clog, I love to buy one.

Regarding printing matter, it does not matter whether I use Photoshop, Corel
Draw, or Irfanvuew, their printing patterns are the same.
So long as I set "Plain Paper" mode, no problem If I set to photopaper,
glossy, or high resolution paper mode, PM ink flows too much.

Thanks. Satoshi

"bmoag" <aemd@verizon.net> wrote in message
> That overall pink cast often means color matching is being applied more
> than once in your printing chain.
> Canon's protocols for printing with Photoshop are not straightforward and
> even if you understand how to use them you will soon realize that they are
> terrible anyway.
..
> If that is not practical when you are in print preview in Photoshop set
> the "Profile" setting for Printer Color Management. Then set the Canon
> driver for the paper type and for photographic quality (or you can
> experiment with some other settings on the other driver tabs). The print
> preview should be in approximately correct color. Alas, Canon printer
> drivers being what they are, the final print will not likely resemble this
> as closely as it should.

Burt,

I try your suggestion today.
I will let you know later.

Regards,

Satoshi

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Satoshi - The two light dye load inks, photo magenta and photo cyan, are
> used up faster than the other inks under normal circumstances when
> printing most photos. I have a Canon i960 and especially with pictures
> that have people with skin tones that are more red than average I either
> adjust the overall intensity to -4 or -6, or I adjust the magenta to a
> minus value that gives the best print. I have seen one post that
> suggested -7 setting for Magenta. Do not use the two higher quality paper
> settings - stay with the glossy photo paper setting as you described.
> Print all pictures in manual color setting. I found that the automatic
> setting came up very red. You may or may not have to adjust the intensity
> or magenta as described above. I use photoshop elements 2 and calibrated
> my monitor with the adobe gamma program. When I first bought the printer
> I played with various settings and papers to get the best color balance to
> my eye. When I started using non-OEM inks I redid my tests and found that
> the test prints were comparable to the OEM inks with every combination of
> settings and papers. I presently use Costco Kirkland glossy photo paper
> with an aftermarket ink and the settings I described above. Someone else
> answered your post with the suggestion that you may have more than one
> software program trying to adjust your colors. If the settings I
> suggested don't help[ then that may be your problem.
>
> "Satoshi" <machocraig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am printing outdoor pictures on Canon i950 using Canon Glossy Photo
>>Paper. On screen, pictures were sharp and great. When printed, pictures
>>were reddish overall. Black stuff came out purple on prints. (All
>>pictures were taken with Sony 5 MP digicam.). I don't see any problem
>>with camera and screen color.
>>
>> Using Photoshop, I tried to change the color balance: I changed color
>> level from red to cyan ( to the level of cyan -60). Printed pictures
>> were still reddish, though less reddish this time. I am wondering what
>> is the problem? Should I change magenta ink cartridge or print head?
>> Need your help. Satoshi

Hi Measekite

> Photoshop and my Canon IP4000 using OEM ink and Costco/Kirkland Glossy
> Photo Paper do a great job and produce fantastic results.

I am tempted to purchase IP4000 as you described here. Another poster
mentined i9900.
Do you have any opinion on i9900?
I am thinking about buying ip4000 or i9900 this weekend.
Your advise would be appreciated.

Regards,
Satoshi

zakezuke

> Paper cannot clog the printhead.

There was a batch of Epson Photo Glossy paper that was covered with
powder. While I can't say for sure they contributed to head clogs I
seem to remember epson offered replacements for a bad batch. I also
noticed some "great white" photopaper offered at the dollar store also
covered in powder.

I can't say 100% that the powder on the paper could lead to a head
clog, but it seems reasonable that it's possible.

shooter

What, you are saying you don't use OEM paper after all your thousands of
remarks about OEM.

> bmoag wrote:
>
> >That overall pink cast often means color matching is being applied more
than
> >once in your printing chain.
> >Canon's protocols for printing with Photoshop are not straightforward and
> >even if you understand how to use them you will soon realize that they
are
> >terrible anyway.
> >

> Photoshop and my Canon IP4000 using OEM ink and Costco/Kirkland Glossy
> Photo Paper do a great job and produce fantastic results.
>
> >The easiest way to print with Canon is to throw the Canon printer away
and
> >buy an Epson.
> >

> Bullshit
>
> >If that is not practical when you are in print preview in Photoshop set
the
> >"Profile" setting for Printer Color Management. Then set the Canon driver
> >for the paper type and for photographic quality (or you can experiment
with
> >some other settings on the other driver tabs). The print preview should
be
> >in approximately correct color. Alas, Canon printer drivers being what
they
> >are, the final print will not likely resemble this as closely as it
should.

TRENDING THREADS