Getting network scanning working

blarger

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
This is kind of a more generic windows network question as at this time I'm not looking to get the scanner to scan directly to a computer, however information about that would be appreciated too. Basically:

I'm trying to help my uncle set up his scanner to scan to the network but the damn thing is more stubborn than a mule. Believe it or not for a time I HAD it working, the scanner would upload the scans to a directory on my uncles laptop, but after a while that stopped working and I couldn't get it in a working state again. He has since added a Synology DS211J to his network and I'd like to set it up to scan to there. The scanner is a Brother MFC-9320CW. I've updated the firmware etc. By the way my uncle is running windows 7.

Here is a link to the manuals for the printer, I've looked through them and followed the instructions but this thing keeps giving an authentication error:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/doc/manual_index.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc9320cw_all&dlid=&flang=English&type2=-1

Here are two screens from the brothers config page:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/196/clipboard00.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/clipboard01tuo.jpg/

Ignore the username field ive tried blank, guest etc. I've tried changing the upload directory to \\scans\ and synologyds211j\scans etc. I would REALLY like to avoid setting up a domain for all this. Can anyone guide me towards how to configure this to work in a workgroup environment? I've spent 4 hours banging my head against the wall tweaking configuration options with no luck.

srdln

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

did you ever find a solution to make this work.

SRDLN

janluijtenjan

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Same issue here..

Tried with several user credentials. Allways the same: Send error.

When i put in false credentials i get the error auhentication error. So i assume there is no problem with user and passsword.

Host adress can only be an IP adress, so that seems correct also.
Store Directory is have \scans

but i don't know if that is correct...

Please any help?

FireMedic949

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I was running into the same problem ("Sending Error") when configuring an MFC-8890DW. I think pretty much all the Brother printers work the same so configuration should be the same for other models. The problem for me appeared to be in the "Store Directory" field. I'm running a domain so the full domain path would be: \\WHFDSERVER\Media\Scans\
The entry that worked for me was: "Media\Scans". I initially had a leading "\" and it would never work for me.
Hope this helps.

emzed

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
For anyone still stugling with this issue, I found the sollution. :bounce: The issue comes from the timezone of the printer not being alligned with the timezone of your target server. In that case, the Kerberos check will fail. You need to setup SNTP syncronisation on your print. Dutch folks, use this one 0.nl.pool.ntp.org and 1.nl.pool.ntp.org.

Read all about it right here: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/BSC/public/us/us_ot/en/faq/faq/000000/002700/000086/faq002786_000.html?reg=us&c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfc9320cw_all

Good luck!
Martijn Z.

blarger

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006

Unfortunately I no longer live in the area of the person I was trying to help and I think they might have pitched it. I cant remember if I made sure the scanner had the right time set but I think I did. It sounds like the kind of thing I would do right off the bat, I started doing it once I memorized that my timezone is UTC -5. Oh well hopefully someone is helped by this.

zxswoop

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I know it's an old thread, but recently I had this issue, found no answers on the web, but stumbled on a solution. I tried various forms of syntax while filling out the web interface as some of the other people above. The issue with my printer was that scan to pc was working before as it was connected directly to the pc, then we went wireless and added it to the network. After reading the scan to network setup manual, it gave no solution to the "sending error". It was only after it dawned on me to try to send it to a shared folder on that pc that it worked. Kind of a duh moment but easily overlooked. I hope that helps someone.