Mad 7900GTX!!

aoxue

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Hi everyone,

My friend got a GIGABYTE 7900GTX two days ago, and installed it in his rig with the latest driver.

After some small issues in games have been solved, it comes to the video playing!:

Whenever he tried to open a video file, suddenly there were white dots and lines flashing everywhere on the screen, even after he closed the file.

even he closed all the applications and restarted the system, from the moment the power was on (before Windows was loaded), the white dots and lines were already all over the screen.

when he put his old 6200tc into the machine again, all the problem were just gone, without doing anything else.

Tried solutions:
1. latest bios
2. latest nvidia driver ( 91.31 )
3. old driver with the card (84.21)
4. reboot the machine

But problem still appears. Now I remember I read some other post before says something in the bios setting I should do, but can't remember what setting. It's like put something direct to something.

Any idea?

His rig: Athlon64 3500+
1G DDR400 RAM (2x512MB)
2X160G HDD
7900GTX
580W PSU (HYPER X)

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
If you have an old card laying around install it and see if your getting the same problem.

If not sounds lke you need to return it. Email the reatiler you brought it from and ask for a RMA.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Have you touched the card to see if its hot or not? Could be showing artifacting. That means the card hasnt been adequatly cooled.
Yea, those seem like some artifacting issues.

What are temps of the card?

If your showing 70 degrees celsius or more on your video card, then you have a problem. Artificating is known to start as those temps. 75 is when it could crash. 1 of my GTXs as gone as high as 68, but that was on a humid day.

Lathyl

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Sounds like overheating... But u think 70 C is hot??? My 6200SE runs at over 100C just fine (as i write this its at 112 8O )

aoxue

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
The temperature was fine. It's between 35 and 38C.

He sent the card back to the dealer last Friday. They said they'll test the card and ring him back by this Friday.

Now he's thinking maybe he should turn to ATI 1900xtx if his 7900gtx is really a faulty card.

By the way, his mobo has ATI chipset. Any idea?

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Even the X1900XT will beat the 7900GTX in Oblivion, plus, you can easily overclock it to X1900XTX speed. Additionnaly, you'll be able to turn on the SM3.0 HDR + AA together. Compared to the 7900GTX, the X1900XT is a steal.

4745454b

Titan
Well, temps could be a problem, but I would think playing games would make them rise more then just trying to watch a movie... If playing games is fine, but watching an .mpg or .avi causes problems, its something other then temps. What movies cause problems? If you try using another player, do you still have issues? I'm guessing there is some problem with either the video player you are using, or somehow the codecs on this machine have gone bad. Either way, reinstalling the player or codec should fix this.

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
ive had 2 gigabyte graphics cards in my time, and they both have died after 1 - 2 years, maybe its just me but, i would stay away from gigabytes graphics cards.

hball

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006
With my 7950 GTX, I haven't monitored temps over 59 degrees celcius while playing BF2, but have still been experiencing artifacting. The card is being rma'd as I type.

Thing is, when going into the nvidia desktop panel to monitor temps, the default setting for slowing the card down when high temps are reached, the setting is 122 degrees celcius (afterall, water boils at 100 degrees celcius). Doesn't seem to make sense does it? 8O

hball

aoxue

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
No, I don't think it's any player or codec problem, because even he closed all the applications and restarted the system, from the moment the power was on (before Windows was loaded), the white dots and lines were already all over the screen.

when he put his old 6200tc into the machine again, all the problem were just gone, without doing anything else.

weilin

Distinguished
112 c? my recommendation for u is to sell that card to some college student who needs to cook in his dorm. If he decides to remove the heatsink, He can boil water with your card and if he keeps a pot of cooking oil on it long enough, he could even have fries. It would be perfect, most dorms dont allow anything more than a microwave but a computer (with a over heating graphics card) is perfectly fine. And if its not hot enough.. well, he could always overclock it a bit more...

4745454b

Titan
No, I don't think it's any player or codec problem, because even he closed all the applications and restarted the system, from the moment the power was on (before Windows was loaded), the white dots and lines were already all over the screen.

You didn't state that. In your first post you said
Whenever he tried to open a video file, suddenly there were white dots and lines flashing everywhere on the screen,

This implies, at least to me, that this happens when using wmp, or some other such app. If it happens just turning the computer on, then you have other issues.