IPAQ5550 & 3Comm ADSL Router - Set up problem

December 27, 2004 7:08:11 PM

Hi I hope some kind soul can help ? I have the following set up at home:
Ipaq 5550
3Comm Office Connect ADSL router (wireless) 802.11g/b Connected to AOL

I haven't a clue how to set up the Ipaq to view the internet ? Have tried
all sorts to no avail. The signal is being received fine & the router is
being detected, but that's it. I'm sure on my lap top I had to enter IP info
into the network card set up but not sure what I do with the Ipaq?

Many thanks for any help/advice !
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:08:12 PM

The best place to start may be to look at this document from HP then post back if you have
additional questions...

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u$DiE5C7EHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi I hope some kind soul can help ? I have the following set up at home:
> Ipaq 5550
> 3Comm Office Connect ADSL router (wireless) 802.11g/b Connected to AOL
>
> I haven't a clue how to set up the Ipaq to view the internet ? Have tried all sorts to no avail.
> The signal is being received fine & the router is being detected, but that's it. I'm sure on my
> lap top I had to enter IP info into the network card set up but not sure what I do with the Ipaq?
>
> Many thanks for any help/advice !

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:08:13 PM

In addition...

Are you running the latest ROM and WiFi drivers on your device? For example on my iPAQ 5555 I have
these updates installed in this order...

1. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
2. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
3. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...

The big list of available upgrades, patches, etc...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...

Make sure the router is *NOT* running in an 802.11g only mode. It should be running an 802.11b only
or 802.11b/g mixed mode...

Are you using a hex WEP key on the iPAQ 5550 versus an ASCII WEP key, if your using WEP?

Does the WEP, or WPA, key match the access point?

Have you tried turning off WEP/WPA on the access point and the iPAQ to see if you can connect?

Are you broadcasting the SSID from the access point? If not, did you configure the correct SSID on
the iPAQ?

Do you get a valid IP, ie. a 192.168.X.X.X address and not a 169.X.X.X address from the access
point? Use these tools to check that...

http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html

Can you ping the access point and other desktops on your LAN? Use vxUtil for that...

Is your Connection Manager setup correctly?

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

news:o CU%23Q$D7EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The best place to start may be to look at this document from HP then post back if you have
> additional questions...
>
> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u$DiE5C7EHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Hi I hope some kind soul can help ? I have the following set up at home:
>> Ipaq 5550
>> 3Comm Office Connect ADSL router (wireless) 802.11g/b Connected to AOL
>>
>> I haven't a clue how to set up the Ipaq to view the internet ? Have tried all sorts to no avail.
>> The signal is being received fine & the router is being detected, but that's it. I'm sure on my
>> lap top I had to enter IP info into the network card set up but not sure what I do with the Ipaq?
>>
>> Many thanks for any help/advice !

Related resources
December 27, 2004 7:37:52 PM

One other piece of info is that the 5550 comes with WLAN wireless built in
rather than a seperate card.
cheers !

"M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi I hope some kind soul can help ? I have the following set up at home:
> Ipaq 5550
> 3Comm Office Connect ADSL router (wireless) 802.11g/b Connected to AOL
>
> I haven't a clue how to set up the Ipaq to view the internet ? Have tried
> all sorts to no avail. The signal is being received fine & the router is
> being detected, but that's it. I'm sure on my lap top I had to enter IP
> info into the network card set up but not sure what I do with the Ipaq?
>
> Many thanks for any help/advice !

December 28, 2004 7:54:57 PM

Sooner Al - Thanks very much for the extensive help. I eventually narrowed
it down to the WEP settings which were disabled on the Router but enabled on
the Ipaq. As soon as I disabled it there, Bingo !

Thanks again

> In addition...
>
> Are you running the latest ROM and WiFi drivers on your device? For
> example on my iPAQ 5555 I have
> these updates installed in this order...
>
> 1.
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
> 2.
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
> 3.
> http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
>
> The big list of available upgrades, patches, etc...
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
>
> Make sure the router is *NOT* running in an 802.11g only mode. It should
> be running an 802.11b only
> or 802.11b/g mixed mode...
>
> Are you using a hex WEP key on the iPAQ 5550 versus an ASCII WEP key, if
> your using WEP?
>
> Does the WEP, or WPA, key match the access point?
>
> Have you tried turning off WEP/WPA on the access point and the iPAQ to see
> if you can connect?
>
> Are you broadcasting the SSID from the access point? If not, did you
> configure the correct SSID on
> the iPAQ?
>
> Do you get a valid IP, ie. a 192.168.X.X.X address and not a 169.X.X.X
> address from the access
> point? Use these tools to check that...
>
> http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
> http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html
>
> Can you ping the access point and other desktops on your LAN? Use vxUtil
> for that...
>
> Is your Connection Manager setup correctly?
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o CU%23Q$D7EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> The best place to start may be to look at this document from HP then post
>> back if you have
>> additional questions...
>>
>> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi I hope some kind soul can help ? I have the following set up at home:
>>> Ipaq 5550
>>> 3Comm Office Connect ADSL router (wireless) 802.11g/b Connected to AOL
>>>
>>> I haven't a clue how to set up the Ipaq to view the internet ? Have
>>> tried all sorts to no avail.
>>> The signal is being received fine & the router is being detected, but
>>> that's it. I'm sure on my
>>> lap top I had to enter IP info into the network card set up but not sure
>>> what I do with the Ipaq?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any help/advice !

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:54:58 PM

Glad to hear its working for you.

I do, however, recommend you use at the very least 128-bit WEP and better yet use WPA if the router
supports it... Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP) on my home LAN with my iPAQ 5555.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WPA_Config...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html

--

"M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uJWP53P7EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Sooner Al - Thanks very much for the extensive help. I eventually narrowed it down to the WEP
> settings which were disabled on the Router but enabled on the Ipaq. As soon as I disabled it
> there, Bingo !
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> In addition...
>>
>> Are you running the latest ROM and WiFi drivers on your device? For example on my iPAQ 5555 I
>> have
>> these updates installed in this order...
>>
>> 1. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
>> 2. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
>> 3. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
>>
>> The big list of available upgrades, patches, etc...
>>
>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
>>
>> Make sure the router is *NOT* running in an 802.11g only mode. It should be running an 802.11b
>> only
>> or 802.11b/g mixed mode...
>>
>> Are you using a hex WEP key on the iPAQ 5550 versus an ASCII WEP key, if your using WEP?
>>
>> Does the WEP, or WPA, key match the access point?
>>
>> Have you tried turning off WEP/WPA on the access point and the iPAQ to see if you can connect?
>>
>> Are you broadcasting the SSID from the access point? If not, did you configure the correct SSID
>> on
>> the iPAQ?
>>
>> Do you get a valid IP, ie. a 192.168.X.X.X address and not a 169.X.X.X address from the access
>> point? Use these tools to check that...
>>
>> http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
>> http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html
>>
>> Can you ping the access point and other desktops on your LAN? Use vxUtil for that...
>>
>> Is your Connection Manager setup correctly?
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:o CU%23Q$D7EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> The best place to start may be to look at this document from HP then post back if you have
>>> additional questions...
>>>
>>> http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManua...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:54:59 PM

I forgot that with WPA you can use an ASCII pass phrase or string. I use a totally random and very
long (>20 characters) ASCII string made up of regular, numeric and special characters...

--

> Glad to hear its working for you.
>
> I do, however, recommend you use at the very least 128-bit WEP and better yet use WPA if the
> router supports it... Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP) on my home LAN with my iPAQ 5555.
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WPA_Config...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uJWP53P7EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Sooner Al - Thanks very much for the extensive help. I eventually narrowed it down to the WEP
>> settings which were disabled on the Router but enabled on the Ipaq. As soon as I disabled it
>> there, Bingo !
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> In addition...
>>>
>>> Are you running the latest ROM and WiFi drivers on your device? For example on my iPAQ 5555 I
>>> have
>>> these updates installed in this order...
>>>
>>> 1. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
>>> 2. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
>>> 3. http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/handhelds/us/do...
>>>
>>> The big list of available upgrades, patches, etc...
>>>
>>> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us...
>>>
>>> Make sure the router is *NOT* running in an 802.11g only mode. It should be running an 802.11b
>>> only
>>> or 802.11b/g mixed mode...
>>>
>>> Are you using a hex WEP key on the iPAQ 5550 versus an ASCII WEP key, if your using WEP?
>>>
>>> Does the WEP, or WPA, key match the access point?
>>>
>>> Have you tried turning off WEP/WPA on the access point and the iPAQ to see if you can connect?
>>>
>>> Are you broadcasting the SSID from the access point? If not, did you configure the correct SSID
>>> on
>>> the iPAQ?
>>>
>>> Do you get a valid IP, ie. a 192.168.X.X.X address and not a 169.X.X.X address from the access
>>> point? Use these tools to check that...
>>>
>>> http://www.cam.com/vxipconfig.html
>>> http://www.cam.com/vxutil.html
>>>
>>> Can you ping the access point and other desktops on your LAN? Use vxUtil for that...
>>>
>>> Is your Connection Manager setup correctly?
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> news:o CU%23Q$D7EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

December 29, 2004 8:50:00 PM

Many thanks again !

I don't suppose you might know about the IR software for controlling TV, DVD
players etc ? The Ipaq 5550 is supposed to be shipped with it but can't find
sight nor sound of it ! ? nor on the companion CD..
thanks again

news:o pGrdFQ7EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I forgot that with WPA you can use an ASCII pass phrase or string. I use a
>totally random and very long (>20 characters) ASCII string made up of
>regular, numeric and special characters...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Glad to hear its working for you.
>>
>> I do, however, recommend you use at the very least 128-bit WEP and better
>> yet use WPA if the router supports it... Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP)
>> on my home LAN with my iPAQ 5555.
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WPA_Config...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sooner Al - Thanks very much for the extensive help. I eventually
>>> narrowed it down to the WEP settings which were disabled on the Router
>>> but enabled on the Ipaq. As soon as I disabled it there, Bingo !
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>
>>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 8:50:01 PM

No...someone else needs to help with that...

--

"M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:o G%23bT7c7EHA.936@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Many thanks again !
>
> I don't suppose you might know about the IR software for controlling TV, DVD
> players etc ? The Ipaq 5550 is supposed to be shipped with it but can't find
> sight nor sound of it ! ? nor on the companion CD..
> thanks again

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o pGrdFQ7EHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>I forgot that with WPA you can use an ASCII pass phrase or string. I use a
>>totally random and very long (>20 characters) ASCII string made up of
>>regular, numeric and special characters...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>>
>> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Glad to hear its working for you.
>>>
>>> I do, however, recommend you use at the very least 128-bit WEP and better
>>> yet use WPA if the router supports it... Personally I use WPA-PSK (TKIP)
>>> on my home LAN with my iPAQ 5555.
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/WPA_Config...
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/LAN.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "M" <spodling@hotmail.com> wrote in message