Ranking Mobo Brands!

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
guys, what do you think is the top 5 mobo brands out there?

5 for stock usage and 5 for over clocking boards?

im deciding to buy but there are so many brands out there.
your comments would be appreciated.

thanks!

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
There was a thread recently like this, and what it proved was there is no board that everyone likes. Some manufacturers people hated while others liked. I have had great experience with ASUS for example, and some other people have had nothing but problems wtih them.

All in all, in no particular order, I think you will find people listing:

Asus
Abit
Gigabyte
MSI
DFI

Intel probably deserves mention for being a good stable board, without overclocking abilities.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Asus all the way. I've also heard good things about DFI, Abit, and EPoX. There's an MSI in my family's computer, and I'm not very happy with it, don't find it very stable.

Back in the days of nForce 2 I heard terrible things about Abit... I haven't used Abit since then.

I used an MSI back in the day and I didn't like it one bit.

Never personally used EPoX or ECS. I've also heard Gigabyte isn't doing so dandy recently.

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
well this is a budget brand but I recon that they have one of the best performance/price ratio.
asrock - also they seem to always be putting out some very good technology that no one else bothers with or can keep up with, e.g. Asrock DUAL-SATA2 has native AGP and PCI-E matches performance (terms of fps on games and stuff) with the 'big dogs' and has an expansion port that allows you to use AM2 when you want to upgrade!

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
i noticed that asrock's price is very competitive but i dont know if their boards will last that long and not give up on you after a few years. can anyone with an asrock board experience give us some ideas?

ECS has also very competitive priced motherboards. can anyone comment on their durability? and performance?

thanks

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
For stock, no contest, it's Fujitsu-Siemens. For Intel chips, Intel boards come in second as they are reliable and stable. After that, Epox, Gigabyte, Asus, Foxconn. Overclocking, DFI, Epox, Asus. In my opinion, ECS suffers from QC problems. If you get a good one of their boards, it'll give you good service. If.

juvealert

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
well i own an asus mobo and IMO it is still solid like rock ( till now ). On the other hand asus cusotmers complain about the after sales service ( downloading drivers etc. ) and i think its the high quality mobo asus offer to the market which keeps customers repurchasing asus mobo's.

if asus invest some bucks in after sales / custer care services asus would obtain an extra percentage of the market share

my brother owend a gigabyte mobo and wasn't a success as we were expecting but keeping in mind it was the first gigabyte mobo we owned ( same for my asus) and i still look foward to have another chance with gigabyte.

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I have had em all at one time or another.

asus
dfi
abit - the bad days are over their qc is back running one right now
gigabyte
biostar

I avoid ecs like the plague, asrock makes better boards then ecs.
Asrock is probably the best budget board maker out there.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
As far as reliability and stability I have to give it to Intel and Asus. I built 14 computers with Intel 815E mainboards using P3 933 and 1Ghz processors between 2000 and 2002. These computers are in body shops, get a lot of use and also get that body shop dust all over them and have not had one of these main boards go out. I am currently using an Intel 915 GAGLK mainboard and have had no problems in the 8 months I have had it.

With ASUS I have 3 builds that used that black perl main board which are about 4 yrs old No problems with those either. Those are used in a home enviornment.

sailer

Splendid
Among boards that I've used or helped people with:

ASUS
MSI
Asrock
Gigabyte
Biostar

I put DFI in a class by itself. It might be the best board around if you're really into programming it correctly. It is also the worst board around if you're not.

GigabyteRules

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
i had a msi board for my puter befor i got my core duo 2 and ga-965p-dq6 and it lasted years on 24/7 with an overclockd 2.4 to 3.1 and it was always rock stable i woulda got a msi board again but there was none for the core duo

sailer

Splendid
I don't mean to say that MSI is a bad board, only that my experience has been that ASUS has been better. Sometimes particular combination may also work better than others. Your MSI board worked, so that was good for you, no objection on my part.

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[/quote]

My Asrock board can overclock more than Asus 30 months after purchase (I mean.... near 50%cpu overclock).
[/quote]

just a clarification: are you saying that your asrock board is on overclock for 30 months?

on what cooling for the 50% more cpu speed? what processor? what board model?

thanks

Generals

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
i had a msi board for my puter befor i got my core duo 2 and ga-965p-dq6 and it lasted years on 24/7 with an overclockd 2.4 to 3.1 and it was always rock stable i woulda got a msi board again but there was none for the core duo

what's your overclock setup?

thanks