Sign in with
Your question

OEM Harddrives And Sata Cables - Questions

Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2006 2:01:52 PM

Just a quick question. I know with oem harddrives you get just the basic drive and that's it. So do you have to purchase the sata cables in addition or do you get those cables etc with the mobo? having yet to do a build, i have little knowlege about what comes with the mobo cable wise.

Any tips would be welcome. So i don't forget critical cables etc while getting parts :D 
August 11, 2006 2:06:20 PM

You should get everything you need in the mobo box you buy. If your using neweggs they show you the contents of each boxed product they ship. As far as advice, I would just go very slow, work on a large table top surface, use no electric screw drivers, and search the boards here for step by step guides. You'll do fine.
August 11, 2006 2:09:17 PM

Quote:
You should get everything you need in the mobo box you buy. If your using neweggs they show you the contents of each boxed product they ship. As far as advice, I would just go very slow, work on a large table top surface, use no electric screw drivers, and search the boards here for step by step guides. You'll do fine.

Thanks for the helpful response :) 
August 11, 2006 2:20:51 PM

I don't know about you, but I've got a box full of unused IDE, serial, parallel, floppy and even USB cables, and I'm sure I didn't buy most of these individually -- they just came with various MBs, etc. The same happens with SATA stuff.

In general, you need 2 new connectors for SATA drives -- the data connector, and a power connector. Some SATA drives have both old-style and new-style power connectors (use only one!), but many only have the new-style -- so you'd need a different sort of power plug. New power supplies come with some of these plugs directly wired, and many things come with power splitters / adapters to convert the old-style to new-style.
!