opinions on h4355 ppc for first pda?

December 27, 2004 11:51:21 AM

I'm about to get my first PDA, and I'm looking for some opinions about
the vast array of available choices.

My needs/likes/don'tcares are:

-I probably won't use it to listen to music or play games.
-I don't need a phone.
-I don't need a camera.
-I definitely want a thumb keyboard for ease of text input.
-I definitely want 128 WEP WiFi and a usable web browser for my home
network.
-I'd like reasonable display resolution and speed.
-I definitely want scheduling and reminders.
-I want to be able to transfer files between my work PC and the PDA
with a USB cable of some sort. I won't be able to use the "sync"
feature with my work PC. That may make file transfer impossible, but I
don't know.
-I'd like to be able to record and playback audio notes.
-Low cost is relatively important. I'm looking for somewhere around
$350.

I noticed the HP iPAQ h4355 Pocket PC, which has an integrated keyboard
(the only iPAQ with an integrated keyboard?). Does anyone have any
experience with this model? Is it a reasonable match for my needs?
Will there be any unexpected disadvantages with this model? is there
another model (or manufacturer) that might fit some of these needs
better?

More about : opinions h4355 ppc pda

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 3:04:10 PM

I can't answer your questions specifically, but I'd like to award you a
cupie doll for thinking and stating your requirements. Saves a WHOLE
bunch of time and usually money for everyone.

david.karr wrote:
> I'm about to get my first PDA, and I'm looking for some opinions about
> the vast array of available choices.
>
> My needs/likes/don'tcares are:
>
> -I probably won't use it to listen to music or play games.
> -I don't need a phone.
> -I don't need a camera.
> -I definitely want a thumb keyboard for ease of text input.
> -I definitely want 128 WEP WiFi and a usable web browser for my home
> network.
> -I'd like reasonable display resolution and speed.
> -I definitely want scheduling and reminders.
> -I want to be able to transfer files between my work PC and the PDA
> with a USB cable of some sort. I won't be able to use the "sync"
> feature with my work PC. That may make file transfer impossible, but I
> don't know.
> -I'd like to be able to record and playback audio notes.
> -Low cost is relatively important. I'm looking for somewhere around
> $350.
>
> I noticed the HP iPAQ h4355 Pocket PC, which has an integrated keyboard
> (the only iPAQ with an integrated keyboard?). Does anyone have any
> experience with this model? Is it a reasonable match for my needs?
> Will there be any unexpected disadvantages with this model? is there
> another model (or manufacturer) that might fit some of these needs
> better?

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 12:13:37 AM

"david.karr" <david.karr@wamu.net> of http://groups.google.com wrote:
>I'm about to get my first PDA, and I'm looking for some opinions about
>the vast array of available choices.
Can't help there, but can help with a few basics.

>-I definitely want scheduling and reminders.
>-I want to be able to transfer files between my work PC and the PDA
>with a USB cable of some sort. I won't be able to use the "sync"
>feature with my work PC. That may make file transfer impossible, but I
>don't know.
>-I'd like to be able to record and playback audio notes.

These items are going to be the same whichever PPC you buy; they are
software dependent.

Pocket Outlook that comes installed on all PPC's does some very basic
scheduling and reminders. Its big drawback is that all tasks have reminders
of 8am. So you will want to look at buying some better software for this
purpose. There are two major competing products, both of excellent quality,
Agenda Fusion and Pocket Informant. Try both and see which one you like.

Every PPC comes with a CD containing Outlook (with licence) and Active Sync.
Active Sync synchronises contacts, calendar items, tasks and files in a
particular folder between the PC and pocket PC. To even transfer a file via
a USB cable you need to install Active Sync on the PC, and admin rights are
needed for the install. If that isn't going to be available to you, then
you need to look at another file transfer method. Files can be beamed over
IR from a PPC to a PC that doesn't have Active Sync. However this may not
be all that useful because the PPC uses different file formats to PCs for
Word and Excel; Active Sync converts files during transfer. The PPC can
read 'big PC' type files but the files will be a lot larger than the pocket
format equivalents. PCs can't read pocket versions of Word and Excel files.
--
Concentrate; put all your eggs in one basket, and watch that basket...
Andrew Carnegie

Last night I looked at my wife's PPC, with all the default
applications, and task entry allows you to set all the expected details
of a task, including the time of the reminder. I don't see anything
about reminders being set to 8am.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 6:23:33 PM

"david.karr" <david.karr@wamu.net> wrote in message
| Last night I looked at my wife's PPC, with all the default
| applications, and task entry allows you to set all the expected
details
| of a task, including the time of the reminder. I don't see anything
| about reminders being set to 8am.

8am is the default time as was said. It's just the way it sounds- if
you don't set a time it defaults to 8am.

There are ways round this *if* you find it a major inconvenience- I
think it can be set to your needs in PI for example, but It would need
confirming if it is a concern to you.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 7:24:20 PM

Alan you were right the first time. Time is not an option on tasks, it is on
appointments. David, take a look at your wife's again, make sure you are in
tasks and see if you can enter a time in the remind me section. I am
assuming, of course, your wife has not added some third party software to
add a reminder time capability. Problem with those things that add that
capability is that they do not sync with Outlook. That is, you can add a
timed reminder to Outlook on the desktop, but ActiveSync will not transfer
it to the PPC. The PPC will default to 8AM. Third party products will let
you change, or add, a different time to be reminded tan 8AM on the PPC, but
again, that time will not be transferred by AS. Appointments, or entries,
in the calendar app, will let you configure the alarm time any time you
wish.

I also want to compliment you on your outstanding list of requirements. The
4355 would seem to do all you list and things it won't will be common to all
PPCs. File transfers to a non-partnered PC for example, just don't happen.
At least not easily, and not via USB. As mentioned you could IR beam them,
and there really is no reason to convert files. The pocket programs read and
write the desktop formats just fine. Yes they are bigger, but with the price
of SD memory these days, who cares. You can connect via WiFi to the work
network, assuming that is an option and move files back and forth just like
the PPC is another host on the network, but that is not an option at most
businesses it seems. The most convenient file transfer option in a work
situation, when installation of AS isn't possible is a small USB SD card
reader.

The 4355 is about the only PPC that is not also a phone that has a permanent
keyboard. Many PPCs have detachable thumbboard available for them, including
the 4155. Depending on your input needs, and your proficiency with a
thumboard, you may find the normal screen entry options acceptable, and a
'full size' external (serial, IR, BT) keyboard more useful for infrequent
but lengthy data entry.

You mentioned web browsing. IMHO, browsing on a PPC is not the most
gratifying of experiences, unless you confine yourself to sites that have
versions specifically for the PPC screen format. Most that do, are formatted
assuming portrait orientation. Many feel that those that are not formatted
for the PPC are more easily viewed in landscape. There are third party
programs that allow PPCs before WM2003SE to go landscape, but they have
their drawbacks. WM2003SE devices allow Landscape viewing native to the OS.
I don't know of any WM2003SE devices with thumbboards yet though, built-in
or clip on. So you kind of have to decide how you are going to use the web,
and if that conflicts a bit with your desire for the 4355 thumboard.

If you are stuck on the thumboard, the 4355 is a good fit. If you give up
the thumboard you might look at the 4155, which is still one of the sweetest
designs going, though it is "last year's" OS. You can add a detachable
thumbboard If you can let go of the thumboard, I would take a look at the
Dells. The X30 is a bit boxy, but a good buy. The X50s, short of the X50v,
are in your price range and are fine devices. The X50v is not even too far
out of your range, given the discounts that pop up, and it is about as full
featured a device as can be had for the price. Personally I'm not impressed
by any of the current HP models, save the 4700, and the price is a bit to
impressive for what it is.
--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!