Sign in with
Your question

My SN25p refuses to turn on!

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2006 3:50:42 PM

Hi, I really hope this is the right place to write this post. I've found so little help anywhere about shuttle pc's that i'm running out of options. Even the guy on the phone from shuttle gave me false information.

Basically around 4 months ago my sn25p decided not to turn on. Instead of turning on it did nothing except show a little red light on the motherboard. I've read up that this just means something is faulty, and instead of beeping, shuttles just refuse to work.

Thinking the shuttle was faulty, I sent it back and received a brand new SN25P. The company said they tested the old one and found it to be faulty. I'm not actually sure if they did to be honest, because the new one had the exact same problem.

So I rang up shuttle support after being sent through at least 5 different numbers, and a support guy told me the problem was my nvidia 7800 card. So, I sent that back, got a new 7900 and it still wouldn't turn on. I managed to test the ram in another machine, so I knew it wasn't that, leaving only the processor.

So, I bought a new amd 4000 athlon 64 chip (identical to the old one) and installed it. Wham, the shuttle works. I cheer for a few seconds and am really glad it works.

Only it doesn't work. If the shuttle has been off overnight, when I go to turn it on, it does nothing but show the red light again. I have to flick the switch and the back of the case of and then back on for it to work. However, today I didn't turn it on first thing, and got to it about 3:30pm. Now it wont turn on at all again even after reptitive switching at the back, even leaving 20 minute intervals between attempts.

So basically I have a new shuttle sn25p, a new amd 64 4000 processor, a new 7900 gfx card and tried and tested to be working ram.

Why won't my damn machine turn on!

If anyone could help me on this or even show me a better place to post this thread I would be eternally gratefull, as this has sucked up 3 or 4 months of my time trying to get my damn pc to turn on reliably, or even at all.

More about : sn25p refuses turn

November 7, 2006 12:31:57 AM

Dear Matt,

I have a shuttle SN25P as well with almost exactly the same configuration you do. I have a BFG 6800 video card, 2 GB of RAM and an AMD 64 4000 processor. I am having exactly the same issue you are and I am still attempting to solve it. I have called shuttle support before but got frustrated and enough with them to give up on them and try to solve this problem myself.

I was wondering if you had made any progress in figuring out why this is happening to your shuttle. Please feel free to contact me if you have had any luck solving this issue.

Sincerely,

Hubukai
November 7, 2006 12:57:08 AM

Did you try dressing sexy?
Related resources
November 7, 2006 11:04:11 AM

Ok i'm afraid the problem is the shuttle not thinking it has enough power to turn on the card too. Some times it works, most of the time it doesn't. For now you can use the card without the additional power, but i wouldnt reccomend playing any big games or doing big things.

Some people have had luck using a Y-Splitter cable and trying every combination under the sun to get it to work. I tried, and it didn't work for me.

What I did was send back my SN25P and bought a Shuttle XPC SN21G5 SKT939 Barebone System instead. It's very similar spec but it doesn't come with a card reader, so you need to go and buy one of them. However, everything else can be transfered straight over. There is an intel version too if you have an intel chip.

Hope that helps. Sorry I couldnt work out how to get the SN25P to work.
November 11, 2006 10:36:41 AM

hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I had a similar thought about the power supply and I was going to try video card that did not require the extra power in to see if I got stable turning on and turning off of the system. It sounds like I'll either have to downgrade the video card or upgrade the power supply. I don't know if upgrading the power supply is an actual option, I do have one of the new Shuttle SN27P2 which has a 400 W power supply and has not had any issues turning on. I'm wondering if I can just purchase a 400 W power supply that would normally go in that system and put it in the old system. That might solve the issue.

The video card that is in their, a BFG 6800 does suck up a lot of power. I think the new 7900 actually got has a lower power requirement. Anyway it looks like swapping out the video card will be my initial test and I will post the test results back here for you and others. Thanks for your help and I'll talk to you soon.
November 11, 2006 11:13:41 AM

From what I have read, it is not that your PSU is underpowered. 400watts is easily enough., My shuttle only has a 250watt PSU and I have no problems what so ever.

From what i've read the problem is the SN25P's and the SN26P's (and I guess you said SN27P too). They seem to have an in-built fault with certain Nvidia cards.
November 11, 2006 11:22:13 AM

Thanks.
Yep, it seems like trying a different video card will be the tesy. ill keep you and the forum posted.
April 28, 2008 7:31:14 PM

I have a Shuttle SN25P that my fiancé now uses. Everything worked fine for the years since I got it and all of a sudden the screen went black and it turned off. It simply wouldn't turn back on so I ended up disconnecting everything except for video and ram. It turned on but here's the weird part...

1. After turning on the power supply switch at the back the motherboard has power and the fans turn on (including the famous red light).

2. After pressing the power supply button at the front the machine got to the BIOS screen, etc.

3. After pressing and holding the power supply button to turn off the machine, it works but reverts to the same state as step 1 where the fans are still on, etc. and I actually have to turn off the switch at the back of the power supply to fully turn it off.

I ordered a new 400-watt PSU from Shuttle and installed it. Same thing! I put all the components back in and the PC works but the same issue exists where you have to actually turn off the switch at the back of the PSU for the system to shut off completely. Otherwise, if you just do a Windows Shutdown, it turns off but the fans are still going, etc. so you have to turn off the switch at the back. This is really weird!

Now, I happen to have an ATI Radeon X850 XT and it is a powered video card that won't run without the extra power connector from the PSU attached to it. So it makes me wonder if this problem is similar to the problem you guys are having. However, this card ran fine in the system for a long time before I started having problems and that was with the old PSU that had less wattage and amps on the rails.

Anyway, I decided I'm just going to run it like this and hope it doesn't die on me and if she ever needs to shut it off (rare since she leaves it on almost all the time), she can do a Windows Shutdown and then just flick off the switch at the back. ONE MORE THING...

When I flick off the switch at the back of the PSU that red light on the motherboard comes on yet the system isn't actually on (not booted) and just the fans are running etc. It's really odd but like I said I found a way to work around it. Still... very odd...
!