Sign in with
Your question

Stock E6300 and Thermal Paste?

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2006 3:52:47 PM

My E6300 just came today. i'm new to building comps, so i'm just makin sure of sumthing. It didnt' come of thermal paste, am i supposed to buy new thermal paste and apply it if i plan on using the stock heatsink and fan. or is there alrdy a thermalistic material on the bottom of the heatsink and fan?
August 11, 2006 4:28:11 PM

Quote:
My E6300 just came today. i'm new to building comps, so i'm just makin sure of sumthing. It didnt' come of thermal paste, am i supposed to buy new thermal paste and apply it if i plan on using the stock heatsink and fan. or is there alrdy a thermalistic material on the bottom of the heatsink and fan?

if you look at the bottom of the heatsink and all you see is a shiny copper circle, then it has no thermal compound and you'll need to add some. i recommend arctic silver 5.
August 11, 2006 4:46:44 PM

Have others got their packages and recived the compound in it, or do I also need to get it. I ordered the retail box, E6600.

Thanks.
Related resources
August 11, 2006 5:07:12 PM

Personally, I'm a bit pissed off with the box sets. I'm going to give the stock cooler a try... I'm using the Intel D975XBX motherboard, and they say to make sure that you use a hsf which provides omni-directional airflow, so that the voltage regulators stay cool. Most heatsinks you find do not provide that, so for now I'm going to give the stock hsf a shot and see how it does. There's no way in hell I'm using the crap thermal paste Intel provides, however.

It used to be (around the P4-3.0C era) that Intel shipped you a syringe of thermal paste and told you to apply it. It was easy enough to throw it away and slap on some arctic silver. Now you actually have to wipe their crap off. I'm looking all over my house for a "lint-free cloth", and frankly I'm not finding one. (Yes, I have heard some people say you can use coffee filters, but if the copper is well lapped, I would worry that a coffee filter might actually scratch the surface of the copper.)

I think I'm going to have to go to CVS and pick up some glasses-cleaning cloths to wipe Intel's thermal paste off. Yuck.
August 11, 2006 5:45:37 PM

nice pun
August 11, 2006 5:58:35 PM

Considering the amount of lint and other particulates that come off of toilet paper, I would hardly find that to be an acceptable finish...
August 11, 2006 6:27:04 PM

I've never bought a retail boxed CPU before, but thanks for asking. Last time I messed around with PCs was the mid 90s, and then I had a friend who basically built eveything - I just watched.

But I appreciate the kind words. Nice to know you can get the info you need from the forumz and people are willing to help you out.
August 11, 2006 6:28:47 PM

Quote:
Considering the amount of lint and other particulates that come off of toilet paper, I would hardly find that to be an acceptable finish...

I've never used lint-free shiz and I've never had a problem. If you're worried about scratches, isn't that what the thermal compound is for, to fill in little scratches and whatnot? :trophy:
August 11, 2006 6:33:06 PM

I think most people are generally helpful here....

Back to the point though, if you get a box processor, it usually comes with the heatsink and thermal interface material (pad or paste) in some manner. If you choose to remove the supplied paste and use something like arctic silver, do so carefully and please use something lint free. You can get lint-free cloths (lens cleaning cloths) at CVS for $10/pack. If you get OEM, be sure to buy some arctic silver / whatever TIM you prefer.
August 11, 2006 6:35:09 PM

Quote:
I think most people are generally helpful here....

Back to the point though, if you get a box processor, it usually comes with the heatsink and thermal interface material (pad or paste) in some manner. If you choose to remove the supplied paste and use something like arctic silver, do so carefully and please use something lint free. You can get lint-free cloths (lens cleaning cloths) at CVS for $10/pack. If you get OEM, be sure to buy some arctic silver / whatever TIM you prefer.

Save your money, use crap around the house and blow on the shiz. Or better yet, got hit up any eyeglass wearing person for some :p 
August 11, 2006 6:40:12 PM

I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you could lick off all the thermal paste with your tounge...
August 11, 2006 6:49:02 PM

Is the chip installation self explanatory, or pretty tricky? You're speaking to a virgin here. I've never put one in. I heard tips like "watch out for the pins" and "load it into the mobo before your mount the mobo etc." Any pointers?
August 11, 2006 6:52:57 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if you tried hard enough, you could lick off all the thermal paste with your tounge...

I don't think it's exactly cherry-flavored, or any other tasty flavor for that matter. (And your saliva would definitely not be good for a well-polished copper base)
August 11, 2006 7:05:32 PM

Quote:
Gas/petrol,

Not a good idea. Here's why from the Arctic iinstallation nstructions.

"Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus oil based cleaners and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound."
August 11, 2006 7:06:49 PM

Quote:
Is the chip installation self explanatory, or pretty tricky? You're speaking to a virgin here. I've never put one in. I heard tips like "watch out for the pins" and "load it into the mobo before your mount the mobo etc." Any pointers?
The sheer number of sexual innuendo puns available in your post is quite palpable. 8O

sure makes one doubt the seriousness of the request for pointers :roll:

edit: keeping up the innuendo - don't force it in, just slide it in gracefully. be careful to not bend the tiny erect pins. blowing on the pins will not help.
August 11, 2006 7:31:15 PM

HAHAHAH. What happens if you get the compound on your fingers? Is it dangerous?
August 11, 2006 8:09:34 PM

No...

Arctic silver's installation manual tells you how to remove the compound

a) from the heatsink
b) from the processor
c) from you

for part c, you are basically just supposed to wash your hands.

I doubt it's good for you, and I don't think you want to slather it over your face (as in giving yourself an arctic silver facial), but if you get some on you and then wash it off reasonably quickly, I think you're fine.
August 15, 2006 2:11:21 PM

Silver, in general, is nontoxic. You do run the risk of developing argyria if you ingest way too much of the stuff. I wouldn't eat arctic silver unless I knew what else the compound consisted of :roll:
August 15, 2006 2:47:43 PM

Found the MSDS for Arctic Silver 5

http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/as5msds.pdf

Hazards:
Quote:
Ingestion: Silver ingestion may result in generalized argyria.

first aid measures:
Quote:
Ingestion: If appreciable quantities are swallowed, seek medical advice

Argyria will turn your skin a funky silverish blue color :trophy:

August 15, 2006 6:24:11 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's exactly cherry-flavored, or any other tasty flavor for that matter. (And your saliva would definitely not be good for a well-polished copper base)

Seriously. I've cleaned AS5 off the bottom of my Coolermaster Hypre6 with my fingers and buffed it with a normal everyday cloth and it still worked just fine. If a few small hairs are going to make such a big difference I suggest you look on Ebay for a life 8O
!