Intel - OEM vs. Retail - Warranty

mcnaugha

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2005
Oops... or is it?

I was so desperate to get my hands on an E6700 that I just bought the OEM one. Retail boxes not due for another month from most sellers. I forgot to check what the warranty situation is. Of course, I should have known... OEM means warranty downgraded to 1 year instead of 3.

What would you do? Would you return the OEM processor and wait another month for the retail box with its 3 year warranty... or just stop wasting yours and my time and get on with it; 12 months is enough, it'll last more than 3 years anyway? What real value do you place on that extra warranty?

I have 7 working days from Monday (14th) to return it, provided I don't use it.

Thanks in advance.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well thats exactly my case, I have mines coming OEM on the 15. I dont know if get the Retail or not, but think about this first...

Are you gonna overclock?
No, then OEM is not a problem

Do you know how to build your computer?
If yes then OEM is not a problem

Are you gonna use the stock intel heatsink fan?
If not, then why you need Retail

Hope that helps

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Well yeah unless you add voltage to it when you overclock it. Which I dont think it would be the case because you can overclock it without adding voltage

OEM - intel doesn't check the processor if it works or not, and only has a 12 month warranty. doesn't include a fan either. Buy at your own risk in other words. If you get a processor with a 90 day warranty than you're stupid.

retail - intel checks the processor to make sure it works, has a 3 year warranty because they know it works and will work, and comes with a fan.

After i knew that i stopped buying oem processors and will never buy an oem processor.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
if you are NOT gonna overclock, then OEM or Retail is the samething.

Overclocking VOIDS any warranty.... Also Intel does not offer warranty to consumers on OEM products... THe OEM offers the warranty which in this case is you.

From : http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-020033.htm#1

Who provides the warranty?
OEM processor family
The manufacturer or supplier from whom you bought your computer system generally provides a warranty. We recommend you consult the warranty documentation that came with your computer system as it may contain additional warranty coverage information.
Boxed Processor family
Intel does provide a limited warranty on its line of Intel boxed processors (whether purchased separately or as part of a computer system).

zornundo

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Overclocking VOIDS any warranty.... Also Intel does not offer warranty to consumers on OEM products... THe OEM offers the warranty which in this case is you.

I laughed when I read this. Thanks for the funny!! :lol:

In other words, if the retailer won't deal with you, you're screwed.