Sign in with
Your question

ATI Radeon X1900 XT or Quadro FX 4500?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 11, 2006 4:08:41 PM

I am going macpro and I am not sure which video card is the best choice, ATI Radeon X1900 XT or Quadro FX 4500? Both seem preety close to me. Which way to go?

Here is the link to the apple benchmarks: http://www.apple.com/macpro/graphics.html

thanks
August 11, 2006 4:16:19 PM

Then those marks are so completely doctored its not even funny....

The Quadro is a professional GPU aimed at the workstation market for 3D rendering, CAD, Maya etc.....

The X1900XT....if you plan on gaming, is going to be your best shot.
Looking @ those scores now, I can say with certainty, never to trust apple on
benchmarking 3d hardware....or any hardware for that matter :lol: 
August 11, 2006 4:51:37 PM

Good call on the MacPro (I can only dream right now).

If you're looking for the higher end graphics then the Quadro makes more sense (on a Mac) than an 1900XT, as it's more useful for things that you're more likely to do on a Macintosh. Personally I think the 7300 would be just fine. What screen are you running?

A side note: I'd go for the top-end CPUs rather than the faster graphics, unless you're running graphic design etc...
Related resources
August 11, 2006 5:46:21 PM

totally agree w/ raven

Quadro is a dev-class card, not for gaming at all. Very solid OpenGL drivers meant for professional work.

Unlike what some ppl may think, the Quadro is not meant for gaming at all, and will not perfrom as well as the 1900xt in DirectX... or even OpenGL games for that matter.

It is not about speed on a Quadro (or FireGL, or any pro-card) but about accuracy. It can take all day if it needs to as long as it is 100% right.

also agree w/ raven on Apples questionable benches...

But that system is nice if you are doing professional graphics dev. Don't consider the 1900 if that is what you are doing, and if you are not doing that... why are you getting that system then?
August 11, 2006 6:35:16 PM

I like how they included the 7300GT. X1900XT and 7300GT are in the same class...rrrrriiiiggghhhtt.
August 11, 2006 6:37:28 PM

Those MacPros are going to go in a lot of recording studios and other situations where Apple computers excel. Not everything needs a top-end video card.
August 11, 2006 6:43:52 PM

Quote:
Those MacPros are going to go in a lot of recording studios and other situations where Apple computers excel. Not everything needs a top-end video card.

agreed, it really depends on what he wants to do w/ that thing. If he is doing non-graphics work, the 7300 is plenty. If graphics work, the quadro. If gaming... get a PC w/ the 1900. lol
August 11, 2006 9:16:00 PM

Thanks all for your time and help! very appreciated.
The main purpose of this computer will be animation (although modeling & rendering will be done too), so my main concern is real time feedback.

The software used will be maya & photoshop.

Some new things I´ve found or been adviced:
1. The OpenGL of Ati isnt that good and has some issues with maya.
2. Quadro may have some problems with apple (OSX) due to drivers and may not be that good as if it were running on a PC.

What do you think about the above statements?
August 11, 2006 9:20:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about drivers for the Quadro at all - Apple do all of the computer design themselves, and seeing as they make the OS as well, the driver support for the stock hardware will be good.

It sounds like the Quadro is the card you should go for.
August 11, 2006 9:24:11 PM

OpenGL is better on the quadro simply b/c that is what the card and drivers are made for... dev in OpenGL.

the 1900 is simply not in the same class of card, and is made for gaming. It will not be as good as either a Quadro or FireGL card.

With animation as your primary purpose, go w/ the Quadro. period.

as for the mac OS and Quadro drivers... not sure, know nothing about that one. Knowing that osX is based on a linux kernel I would guess that it runs pretty well. Nv's Linux drivers are usually pretty solid. That is just a guess on osX though as it is only based on linux. ;) 

But regardless, even if it is slower on the macOS it is better to have a pro-level card (and pro-level drivers) for pro work then a gaming card trying to do it.
August 11, 2006 9:24:24 PM

Can't speak much for apple's, but on PC's the Quadro drivers will perform MUCH better at pro 3d apps than Ati gaming drivers used in the X1900.

Of course, the X1900 would be better in gaming, but you're not doing that. So the Quadro is the easy choice. Their pro drivers and support is the reason they're so expensive in the first place.
August 11, 2006 9:47:24 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about drivers for the Quadro at all - Apple do all of the computer design themselves, and seeing as they make the OS as well, the driver support for the stock hardware will be good.

Thnaks, I hope so! Do you know any place/benchmarck that compare performance of Quadros in PC vs Quadros in MAC
August 12, 2006 7:19:19 AM

I don't know of a site that would do that comparison, however it would be somewhat irrelevant, as they wouldn't be able to compare them on the exact same hardware platform.
!