Dead? HP LaserJet 5M

A friend gave me an HP LaserJet 5M with an unopened box of toner. I
connected the printer and set it up using XP's Add Printer. But although
the printer makes noises like it's getting itself ready, it doesn't
print and the display on the printer is blank, yes, blank. Is it junk?
Is there anything I can try?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
4 answers Last reply

    I just used a ballpoint pen. The machine printed a nice set of parallel
    lines. That's a cool tirck.
    Now, what's my next step? Should I open the box and unplug and
    re-plug the memory (can you do that?)?
    Sounds like you're saying the problem could be almost anything in the
    electronics.
    When the guy gave it to me, he said it worked, and he's an honest guy.
    --
    |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

    Open the MP Tray from the front. At the right hand side just inside the
    printer, you will see a little hole with a Printer Test switch inside. Use a
    non-conductive media to push it. The printer should produce a page with
    straight lines. Your problem could be JetDIrect Card, Memory or the
    formatter baord.

    Dewaine

    Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

    > A friend gave me an HP LaserJet 5M with an unopened box of toner. I
    > connected the printer and set it up using XP's Add Printer. But although
    > the printer makes noises like it's getting itself ready, it doesn't
    > print and the display on the printer is blank, yes, blank. Is it junk?
    > Is there anything I can try?
    >
    > --
    > |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

    I took the plunge and opened the box. I could see two cards were askew.
    Then I realized the biggest plug-in card, perhaps the formatter (?),
    was in backwards. After I corrected the situation, I tired again. The
    display then worked, but it said 53.11.03 error, apparently a SIMM
    error. I removed the SIMM, and now the machine works completely.

    I'll try to insert the 16Mbytes SIMM again, but if it still produces
    the error, I might just live without it. The machine works fine as it
    is. I'm not sure how much benefit I'd get by putting in a working
    SIMM.
    --
    |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

    In message <1119969414.695756.202560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    nehmo54@hotmail.com writes
    >I took the plunge and opened the box. I could see two cards were askew.
    >Then I realized the biggest plug-in card, perhaps the formatter (?),
    >was in backwards. After I corrected the situation, I tired again. The
    >display then worked, but it said 53.11.03 error, apparently a SIMM
    >error. I removed the SIMM, and now the machine works completely.
    >
    >I'll try to insert the 16Mbytes SIMM again, but if it still produces
    >the error, I might just live without it. The machine works fine as it
    >is. I'm not sure how much benefit I'd get by putting in a working
    >SIMM.

    Occasionally if I sent a complicated document to the IIp or IIIp which
    was larger than their memory it would print only the amount of page it
    could fit into memory then print the rest on a second page, if its a
    duplex machine it might be helpful to speed that up, but thats probably
    about it.

    --
    Timothy

Printers Hewlett Packard Laserjet Peripherals