Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Sorry to make another topic, but I have to return this laptop in less than two hours so I need to figure this out as soon as I can.

But I bougt this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231064 and this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128321, it's not getting all the way to instaling the operating system, and I had a problem while running memtest, someone suggested I upped the voltage on the ram, but when I get into the bios settings it dosen't give me the specific numbers, next to ram it just says "normal" then if I try to change it I can add +0.1, +0.2, or +0.3, so I don't know which to choose.

Like I said I have to return this laptop very soon so I'd rather not add .1 volt, run memtest, add .1 volt, run memtest, etc...

Nysze

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I found that most ram runs at 1.8v, so I just picked +.2. I've started memtst running, and it seems to be going fine (unlike before).

Now I have a question on it, it has my CPU speed, l1 and l2 cache, amount of memory, and chipset right, but for settings...

Seetings: RAM: 201Mhz (ddr(402) / CAS: 7-6-7 / Dual Channel (128 bits)

Whats going on here? that cas lat and speed are way off from what I actualy got...unless these numbers are not supposed to match up with the actual ram specs that it says on the spec page.

Mondoman

Splendid
I found that most ram runs at 1.8v, so I just picked +.2. I've started memtst running, and it seems to be going fine (unlike before)
Glad that seems to be working.
that cas lat and speed are way off from what I actualy got...
the speed will show up as 1/2 the actual speed. I think the cas etc should be correct, but you can double check in your BIOS what they are set to.
unless these numbers are not supposed to match up with the actual ram specs that it says on the spec page.
No, they are not, unfortunately. This is a dirty secret of the memory business. The spec page tells you what they were tested at (perhaps even guaranteed at), but you usually have to enter the settings manually in the BIOS if you want to run that fast. Each DIMM has an "SPD" in it, essentially a small (flash?) memory that the manufacturer programs with timing settings for different speeds. These are intentionally set conservatively (slow) in order to maximize compatibility. Your BIOS knows nothing of the spec page, but DOES read this SPD on POST, and uses those pre-programmed settings in "auto" mode.