Free stuff for any new character

This post is for new players. It summarizes some of the free things
you can just pick up off the ground for free in and around the starting
town of Scyda Neen. Those who consider such information spoilers
should not read further.

Now, MW tags some items as "owned", and if you pick them up the game
will forevermore mark every item of that type that you carry as "owned"
by someone else. None of the items below fall into that category; they
are all unowned items.

In Scyda Neen: Next to the lighthouse are two treestumps with items.
One has a magic axe and one has some gold and a silver cup.

Near Scyda Neen: The tax collectors body (near the coast just out of
sight of town, to the west) has 200 gold. finding the tax collector is
part of a quest. Also, on the trail to the NW, going to Hla Oad, there
is a mage who falls out of the sky. He has some nice clothes and a
magic sword.

On the way to Hla Oad, turn sw along the coast at the bridge over the
Odai river. You will come upon a shipwreck that contains a small
amount of loot (a few diamonds, for example). You have to swim
underwater a bried distance if you go to the lower deck.

In Hla Oad. Go into Fatlegs, and through the trap door. There are
some merchants underground. There is also water in part of the cave.
Dive in the water and go to a cavern a short distance away. (You will
have to swim a short way underwater.) There is a corpse with a few
items and chests that contain a steel katana and a nearly complete set
of steel armor. The traders in the cave will buy it if you don't want
to use heavy armor.

In Pelegiad. All the crates and barrels outside around the town and
fort are garbage that is yours for the taking.

In Balmora. All the crates and barrels that are outside are available
for your looting pleasure.

In Ebonhardt. All the crates, barrels and chests on the Chun-ook (or
something like that) ship are unmarked and available for looting. You
will have to pick the locks to get inside the ship. Caution: the
hatch between the upper and lower deck IS marked as owned and you will
get arrested if guards see you pick it. No one will care if you pick
the other locks. There is starter alchemy equipment on the ship.

This loot should be enough to get any player character off to a "fast"
start with basic equipment for their chosen line of work.

> Now, MW tags some items as "owned", and if you pick them up the game
> will forevermore mark every item of that type that you carry as "owned"
> by someone else. None of the items below fall into that category; they
> are all unowned items.
>
> In Scyda Neen: Next to the lighthouse are two treestumps with items.
> One has a magic axe and one has some gold and a silver cup.
>
> Near Scyda Neen: The tax collectors body (near the coast just out of
> sight of town, to the west) has 200 gold. finding the tax collector is
> part of a quest.

Also, you're supposed to go to the guy at the Excise house in order to
finish this quest, and give him back the money. But you can lie and say he
didn't have any, and if you complete the quest, you still get a 500 gold
reward.

Also, there's Fargoth's treasure. In a barrel between the 2 Excise
buildings is a magical ring, which you can heal yourself with. Find Fargoth
and give it to him, then talk to the guy upstairs at Arille's Tradehouse and
he'll give you a small easy quest. You need to wait until nightfall, go to
the top of the lighthouse and watch where Fargoth hides his stuff. Once he
stashes it, go take it. It's up to you whether you want to give the guy at
the Tradehouse his cut. There's no reason to, really. You get the ring
back, plus some gold and a journeyman's lockpick, and maybe something else,
I forget. And Fargoth is still your best friend in the world, just don't
mention the ring to him.

Another good find near Seyda Neen (That is the spelling. Confused me too at
first, the 'e's look so much like 'c's. You can see the difference when you
look at Vivec, though.) is north of the town, there is a little swampy pond,
and a tree stump on the edge of it with a nice magical sword in it.

There's a few other easy items I always get with a new character. They're
not necessarily unowned, but it's so easy to steal them that they may as
well be.

In the first building in the Excise office, once you choose your character
class and go through that door, everything in there is free for the taking.
(Close the door if you're paranoid.) There's a bunch of silverware and
dishes that you can sell at Arille's, and a few other things of use to a
starting character. Don't miss the locked box there. They even give you a
lockpick to open it with.

In the Caldera Mage's Guild, there is a complete master's alchemy set (and
some ingredients) at the top of the tower. Just close the door before you
take it, and there's no way you'll be caught. Of course, if you're arrested
they'll take it, but you generally don't need to carry your alchemy
equipment with you, so this is pretty low-risk. Just don't try to sell it
to anyone in the Caldera Mage's Guild.

DeAnn wrote in news:1105734955.960316.69300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> In Ebonhardt. All the crates, barrels and chests on the Chun-ook (or
> something like that) ship are unmarked and available for looting. You
> will have to pick the locks to get inside the ship. Caution: the
> hatch between the upper and lower deck IS marked as owned and you will
> get arrested if guards see you pick it. No one will care if you pick
> the other locks. There is starter alchemy equipment on the ship.

Also in Ebonheart:

Outside the castle in the underwater cave near the cave entrance is a
glass dagger (worth around 4000 IIRC).

Just don't go too far into the cave as a beginning character, and avoid
the dreughs if there are any in the water.

--
~sethra

On 15 Jan 2005 23:48:28 GMT, sethra <azoblue@myrealboxDOT.com> wrote:

>DeAnn wrote in news:1105734955.960316.69300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>

>> In Ebonhardt. All the crates, barrels and chests on the Chun-ook (or
>> something like that) ship are unmarked and available for looting. You
>> will have to pick the locks to get inside the ship. Caution: the
>> hatch between the upper and lower deck IS marked as owned and you will
>> get arrested if guards see you pick it. No one will care if you pick
>> the other locks. There is starter alchemy equipment on the ship.
>
>Also in Ebonheart:
>
>Outside the castle in the underwater cave near the cave entrance is a
>glass dagger (worth around 4000 IIRC).
>
>Just don't go too far into the cave as a beginning character, and avoid
>the dreughs if there are any in the water.

Anybody with a decent repair skill can take advantage of the fact that a
pawnbrokers in Suran has a nearly broken glass dagger for sale, cheap.
If you repair it, you can resell for much more than it costs you.

These are tree stumps behind the lighthouse that you have to jump
down onto. One is right by the corner of the walk/stais to the
lighthouse. The other is close by; climb the rocks next to the
first tree stump and look down to see the second.

I went hunting the other tree stump someone mentioned to the
north of town, and it took a little while to find it (but a magic
dagger awaits the determined).

There is another hollow tree stump near the trading post that
lists as "hollow" when you look at hit (where someone
hides something). The tree stumps with the gold, axe and
dagger are physically hollowed out inside. If you reach in
from above, you can lift out the items. Go to the walk that leads
to the lighthouse and look down. You can see the gold and
cup in the treestump from the walkway, I think. If not,
it is a short easy jump onto the treestump.

I keep thinking there must be a spear hidden somewhere
near town as there are no decent starter spears (magic
or silver) at the start of the game. But I haven't been able
to find one.

I've only found it once (just heard abaout it), so I'm
not sure I can give good directions. It is north
of the bridge out of town, off to the right of the
path leading to Hla Oad, with the stump up
against the mountains. You have to climb the
rocks/hill to get to it. The stump contains a
Firebit dagger and some gold. Nice for a
starting character, but unimpressive to a
higher level character.

In article <1105734955.960316.69300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
von.sagrillo@verizon.net says...

> In Scyda Neen: Next to the lighthouse are two treestumps with items.
> One has a magic axe and one has some gold and a silver cup.

This is odd. I poked around there and those treestumps did not show up
as hollow, in fact I couldn't act on them at all?!?
This is not some mod you have installed?

( I will go back and try again, next time I go over there)

-Peter

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:19:34 +1300, Peter Huebner
<no.one@this.address> wrote:

>In article <1105734955.960316.69300@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>von.sagrillo@verizon.net says...
>>
>> In Scyda Neen: Next to the lighthouse are two treestumps with items.
>> One has a magic axe and one has some gold and a silver cup.
>>

>This is odd. I poked around there and those treestumps did not show up
>as hollow, in fact I couldn't act on them at all?!?
>This is not some mod you have installed?

These stumps are in vanilla Morrowind. You cannot act on the tree
stumps, you have to jump up to where you can see inside them. One of
them can be approached by walking almost up to it on the raised
walkway. I don't think you can see much more that the fact that the
stump is hollow, but I think you can jump over to the stump, then jump
up to look inside. My less agile characters have had a lot of trouble
with these stumps.
--
Nyctolops

In article <GamdnbTm-6b8qHTcRVn-tg@giganews.com>, i.dont@think.so
says...

> Another good find near Seyda Neen (That is the spelling. Confused me too at
> first, the 'e's look so much like 'c's. You can see the difference when you
> look at Vivec, though.) is north of the town, there is a little swampy pond,
> and a tree stump on the edge of it with a nice magical sword in it.

This is another item I've not been able to locate. Just how far north of
S.N. is this bog? Is it the one near the smuggler's cave and the stilt
rider?

kind regards, -P.

> > Another good find near Seyda Neen (That is the spelling. Confused me
too at
> > first, the 'e's look so much like 'c's. You can see the difference when
you
> > look at Vivec, though.) is north of the town, there is a little swampy
pond,
> > and a tree stump on the edge of it with a nice magical sword in it.
> >

> This is another item I've not been able to locate. Just how far north of
> S.N. is this bog? Is it the one near the smuggler's cave and the stilt
> rider?

It's the western-most exit from the town. I think it's near where that guy
falls from the sky. The stump is on the far side of the bog from the road,
and you have to climb up the hill a bit to see down inside it. I've never
really thought about where it is, exactly. I just always manage to find it
with a new character.

I thought I'd combed the area pretty well too....
with characters that like to jump around a lot and
try to go places they "shouldn't".

In article <1105961849.392763.149500@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
von.sagrillo@verizon.net says...
> I've only found it once (just heard abaout it), so I'm
> not sure I can give good directions. It is north
> of the bridge out of town, off to the right of the
> path leading to Hla Oad, with the stump up
> against the mountains. You have to climb the
> rocks/hill to get to it. The stump contains a
> Firebit dagger and some gold. Nice for a
> starting character, but unimpressive to a
> higher level character.

Yeah, well - I was mostly curious since I thought I had combed that area
pretty well. Never occurred to me to climb up those stumps. I sure don't
need the weapons or the money.

My current new character (lvl. 6) had incredible luck to find an item
"Silver Staff of War" just about as she got off the ship - the thing has
three (!) kinds of elemental damage 5-11 or 5-15 (I am not sure right
now). Kills most any critter with one blow (not bandits, though).
AND she holds a dwarven shortsword with a very high poison damage, that
was going for 450 GP and a steal at the price. Very lucky this time
round!

Only trouble is I've yet to get her blunt weapon skill up above 10 or so
<g> but for now she mostly fights with a bound spear, acquired cheaply
off Ra Virr, so she can get her endurance and HP up to an acceptable
level.

-P.

Latest posts