shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Hi
I have this burn smell from my mobo. Is this just a new burn smell you may get? Or is this something bad? What happens this mobo burns? Will my CPU get burnt or fried as well or will just the mobo go wrong?

Desperate noob here :(

Hi
I have this burn smell from my mobo. Is this just a new burn smell you may get? Or is this something bad? What happens this mobo burns? Will my CPU get burnt or fried as well or will just the mobo go wrong?

Desperate noob here :(

Check your voltage to your Vcore. Be sure your CPU is not overvolted.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Specs? Overclocked? Is this a Dell laptop? LOL.

Actually I have a Dell that used to occassionally put out a weird burning/hot electronics smell. I believe it was the motor in my case fan as it seemed to be strongest at the back of the case. After fighting with Dell I got them to send me a new fan but the smell went away. A few months later I came back after class to find my computer making a horrible grinding noise. Turns out the fan was on it's last leg so I popped in the Dell replacement and it hasn't made the smell since. Well, I dunno if that's your problem... but check temps, fan speeds, and your power supply.

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
I have Antec TruePower II, e6600 and it's not OCed, Asus P5B Deluxe, 7900 GT, and Audigy 2 ZS and some ram.
But I'm not sure if it is burn smell(no smoke coming from anywhere) or it's just smell of coated material over products. How can I check if something is burning? And how do I ensure the voltage thing for my CPU?

shinji3c

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Does anyone have scythe Ninja CPU fan?
I think the smell comes from it. I don't think it's burn smell but just weird metal smell. Hopefully, it didn't get burnt cuz I smelled other hardwares from my old computer and they have identical smells..
What would be the symptom of fried CPU tho? I want to be ready for the worst scenario. And what would cause the CPU to get fried?

Thanks!