  • Canon
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 23, 2005 1:24:58 PM

Can anyone help please? I have an IP4000 and can print onto full size cdrs
without problems. When I try to print onto business card size cdrs, however
I do it, the printer ends up printing onto the very bottom of the cdr holder
and not on the cdr itself.

All thoughts are welcome.

Kevin the Lurker

More about : canon ip4000 standard cdrs

June 23, 2005 1:24:59 PM

> Can anyone help please? I have an IP4000 and can print onto full size cdrs
> without problems. When I try to print onto business card size cdrs, however
> I do it, the printer ends up printing onto the very bottom of the cdr holder
> and not on the cdr itself.

I thought I remembered there being a paper type called credit cards,
but i'm not sure that applies to card-cdrs (or whatever they're
called). How does it work when you try to print to a 120mm disc with
just your material within the the 80mm area?

In theory, at the front lip of the tray-b there are three reflectors,
the inner one (the pair but the one on the inside
([ ]
  • []) is the one that the printhead looks for when
    it's doing the in and out motion. The sensor will also respond to
    anything white, silver, or generally reflective. Mine for example are
    self made with white oil based paint but worked equaly well for tin
    foil. I imagine it's possible that along the line from that 2nd
    reflector if there is another reflector, whether it be the disc it self
    or if the adapter is upside down and has white writing on it or not the
    offical black QL2-0605-000 adapter the printer might be thinking tray
    start is in the wrong spot.
    June 23, 2005 1:24:59 PM

    > Still the same unfortunately. You raise an interesting point about the tray
    > and reflectors. I am in the UK so it is the tray that came with the printer
    > and not something that I rigged up myself. There is actually a 4th
    > reflector, about 1cm square, on the cd holder tray, which would appear to be
    > covered when using either a normal sized or 8cm cd rom but is actually part
    > exposed with a business card size cd-rom. Perhaps this is causing the
    >problem. Any clues as to what I could cover it with on a temporary basis?

    Black electrical tape? Masking tape blotched out with a black marker?
    Or try printing without the adapter if that is indeed the problem.You
    might waste a CD but would help isolating the problem. If you can
    prove it's buggered you might be able to get a free one and sell the
    lame one to a yank for 20 quid.

    I measured the reflectors as being 5.5mm square, but I guess on the
    offical tray there is a larger area around them that could be as high
    as 10mm.

    Here is a diagram without measurements but to scale. Should give you
    some clue what the printer is looking for. You could print with the
    lid up so long as you depress the sensor located at the rear right of
    the printer. It's the black bit directly under a plastic + formed by
    two triangles (or 4 right angle triangles). If it's not crossing those
    three reflectors after the in and out motion doing a side to side sweep
    this would support the idea of it seeing something else reflective and
    aligning based on that. Unfortunatly I don't own the 80mm adapter, or
    the true canon tray and the service manual is vague on the subject at
    best.

    http://s120101154.onlinehome.us/pixma/canon_tray_templa...
    June 23, 2005 2:08:08 PM

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone help please? I have an IP4000 and can print onto full size
    >> cdrs
    >> without problems. When I try to print onto business card size cdrs,
    >> however
    >> I do it, the printer ends up printing onto the very bottom of the cdr
    >> holder
    >> and not on the cdr itself.
    >
    > I thought I remembered there being a paper type called credit cards,
    > but i'm not sure that applies to card-cdrs (or whatever they're
    > called). How does it work when you try to print to a 120mm disc with
    > just your material within the the 80mm area?
    >
    > In theory, at the front lip of the tray-b there are three reflectors,
    > the inner one (the pair but the one on the inside
    > ([ ]
  • []) is the one that the printhead looks for when
    > it's doing the in and out motion. The sensor will also respond to
    > anything white, silver, or generally reflective. Mine for example are
    > self made with white oil based paint but worked equaly well for tin
    > foil. I imagine it's possible that along the line from that 2nd
    > reflector if there is another reflector, whether it be the disc it self
    > or if the adapter is upside down and has white writing on it or not the
    > offical black QL2-0605-000 adapter the printer might be thinking tray
    > start is in the wrong spot.

    Still the same unfortunately. You raise an interesting point about the tray
    and reflectors. I am in the UK so it is the tray that came with the printer
    and not something that I rigged up myself. There is actually a 4th
    reflector, about 1cm square, on the cd holder tray, which would appear to be
    covered when using either a normal sized or 8cm cd rom but is actually part
    exposed with a business card size cd-rom. Perhaps this is causing the
    problem. Any clues as to what I could cover it with on a temporary basis?

    Thanks for the help.

    Kevin the Lurker
    June 23, 2005 2:42:57 PM

    "Kevin Harper" <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Can anyone help please? I have an IP4000 and can print onto full size
    > cdrs without problems. When I try to print onto business card size cdrs,
    > however I do it, the printer ends up printing onto the very bottom of the
    > cdr holder and not on the cdr itself.
    >
    > All thoughts are welcome.
    >
    > Kevin the Lurker

    Did you setup/change to the correct printing template in your printing
    application.
    If so, what inner and outer measurements is it set at?
    Anonymous
    June 23, 2005 2:42:58 PM

    "Andrew" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Kevin Harper" <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone help please? I have an IP4000 and can print onto full size
    >> cdrs without problems. When I try to print onto business card size cdrs,
    >> however I do it, the printer ends up printing onto the very bottom of the
    >> cdr holder and not on the cdr itself.
    >>
    >> All thoughts are welcome.
    >>
    >> Kevin the Lurker
    >
    > Did you setup/change to the correct printing template in your printing
    > application.
    > If so, what inner and outer measurements is it set at?

    The printer gives a choice between standard size and 8cm size (I think) cd
    roms, but there isn't actually a template for business card size. Because a
    business card one is similar in size to the 8cm one, I have actually used
    that template and arranged my layout to suit, using the standard (preset)
    inner and outer measurements for the 8cm template.

    To clarify what I said originally about the printer printing at the very
    bottom of the cd holder, the holder has a standard cd size circular indent
    with about 2cm raised plastic below that and it's that raised plastic part
    that is being printed on. I could understand if the thing was printing on
    to the standard cd indent (I'd know that I'd mucked up with the templated
    size then), but I just can't see why it is printing on that last little bit.

    Thanks

    Kevin the Lurker
    Anonymous
    June 23, 2005 4:55:52 PM

    >> Still the same unfortunately. You raise an interesting point about the
    >> tray
    >> and reflectors. I am in the UK so it is the tray that came with the
    >> printer
    >> and not something that I rigged up myself. There is actually a 4th
    >> reflector, about 1cm square, on the cd holder tray, which would appear to
    >> be
    >> covered when using either a normal sized or 8cm cd rom but is actually
    >> part
    >> exposed with a business card size cd-rom. Perhaps this is causing the
    >>problem. Any clues as to what I could cover it with on a temporary basis?
    >
    > Black electrical tape? Masking tape blotched out with a black marker?
    > Or try printing without the adapter if that is indeed the problem.You
    > might waste a CD but would help isolating the problem. If you can
    > prove it's buggered you might be able to get a free one and sell the
    > lame one to a yank for 20 quid.
    >
    > I measured the reflectors as being 5.5mm square, but I guess on the
    > offical tray there is a larger area around them that could be as high
    > as 10mm.
    >
    > Here is a diagram without measurements but to scale. Should give you
    > some clue what the printer is looking for. You could print with the
    > lid up so long as you depress the sensor located at the rear right of
    > the printer. It's the black bit directly under a plastic + formed by
    > two triangles (or 4 right angle triangles). If it's not crossing those
    > three reflectors after the in and out motion doing a side to side sweep
    > this would support the idea of it seeing something else reflective and
    > aligning based on that. Unfortunatly I don't own the 80mm adapter, or
    > the true canon tray and the service manual is vague on the subject at
    > best.
    >

    > http://s120101154.onlinehome.us/pixma/canon_tray_templa...

    I have printed with the lid open and watched what's happening - it does seem
    to be the 4th reflector that's causing the problem with alignment - the tray
    goes in "too far". I will try and blank it off with some tape.

    The diagram doesn't actually show this 4th reflector. On the "real thing"
    there is a lug in the centre of the cdr well to hold the cdr in place when
    it is being printed. Using the diagram as a reference, the 4th reflector is
    2.4cm up from the centre lug and is 1.6cm wide x 1.3 cm high, radiused top
    and bottom.

    Thanks

    Kevin the Lurker
    June 24, 2005 7:23:34 AM

    > The diagram doesn't actually show this 4th reflector. On the "real thing"
    > there is a lug in the centre of the cdr well to hold the cdr in place when
    > it is being printed. Using the diagram as a reference, the 4th reflector is
    > 2.4cm up from the centre lug and is 1.6cm wide x 1.3 cm high, radiused top
    > and bottom.

    The diagram is based on the real thing, in fact it was a scanned tray
    converted to a diagram in photoshop. It's why I know it's to scale.
    I'm a tad confused on the 4th reflector though I have never seen a scan
    of the 120mm to 80mm adapter is this what you are refering to. going
    24mm up from the lug would place a reflector inside the CD radius so
    this must be what you mean.

    I can only say for 120mm discs the three reflector design works.
    Anonymous
    June 24, 2005 2:35:56 PM

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:55:52 GMT, "Kevin Harper"
    <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote as underneath my scribble :

    Kevin - As a matter of interest, I dont see you mention the small CD
    disk insert that comes with the tray - are you using this in addition
    to the tray, or not, in your efforts?
    My method is to print to A4 paper but to the tray, this allows you to
    use a graphics programme like CorelDRAW to make up the disk graphics,
    trial on plain paper etc. exactly how you want without worrying what
    the printer is going to alter on its own! I had to trial and error
    the A4 positioning but could post my .cdr template for A4 if anyone
    wants. I think the fourth reflector you mention is just to detect if
    there is no CD at all in the tray to give you a warning...just a
    guess.
    Charlie+

    >I have printed with the lid open and watched what's happening - it does seem
    >to be the 4th reflector that's causing the problem with alignment - the tray
    >goes in "too far". I will try and blank it off with some tape.
    >
    >The diagram doesn't actually show this 4th reflector. On the "real thing"
    >there is a lug in the centre of the cdr well to hold the cdr in place when
    >it is being printed. Using the diagram as a reference, the 4th reflector is
    >2.4cm up from the centre lug and is 1.6cm wide x 1.3 cm high, radiused top
    >and bottom.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Kevin the Lurker

    Anonymous
    June 24, 2005 4:49:47 PM

    "Charlie+" <charlie@xxx.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:55:52 GMT, "Kevin Harper"
    > <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote as underneath my scribble :
    >
    > Kevin - As a matter of interest, I dont see you mention the small CD
    > disk insert that comes with the tray - are you using this in addition
    > to the tray, or not, in your efforts?
    > My method is to print to A4 paper but to the tray, this allows you to
    > use a graphics programme like CorelDRAW to make up the disk graphics,
    > trial on plain paper etc. exactly how you want without worrying what
    > the printer is going to alter on its own! I had to trial and error
    > the A4 positioning but could post my .cdr template for A4 if anyone
    > wants. I think the fourth reflector you mention is just to detect if
    > there is no CD at all in the tray to give you a warning...just a
    > guess.
    > Charlie+

    Charlie, I've tried both with and without and still have the same problem.
    I've yet to try covering the reflector over - work intrudes - but I will
    post my results. I think that I am going to have to resort to your method,
    so I would be grateful if you could either post your template or email it to
    me.

    Thanks for all the help

    Kevin the Lurker
    June 25, 2005 7:09:52 AM

    > I think I might agree with you on the purpose of the reflector. With a
    > business card size cd-rom in place, the reflector is half covered and half
    > exposed, which may well be confusing the printer. As per one of my previous
    > posts, I've yet to try taping over it, but will let you all know the results
    > as soon as I do.

    Someone over at steve's fourms, the massive canon printing cd-r
    thread... sugested:

    "The insert for printing smaller CDs has a square hole which is the
    same size as the other reflectors which exposes the reflector. I
    believe its purpose is to to detect which size CD you are printing on."
    --canonfodder

    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40

    As I don't own a real one I must yield any knowelege to those who have
    seen it :p
    Anonymous
    June 25, 2005 1:21:32 PM

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:49:47 GMT, "Kevin Harper"
    <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote as underneath my scribble :

    Ok Ill email it, do you have Corel v8 or higher or would you like some
    other format, (its a two layer V8.cdr document in its present form).
    Charlie+

    >Charlie, I've tried both with and without and still have the same problem.
    >I've yet to try covering the reflector over - work intrudes - but I will
    >post my results. I think that I am going to have to resort to your method,
    >so I would be grateful if you could either post your template or email it to
    >me.
    >
    >Thanks for all the help
    >
    >Kevin the Lurker

    Anonymous
    June 25, 2005 3:52:13 PM

    "Charlie+" <charlie@xxx.net> wrote in message
    news:p r4qb15h7sjrr7fjrfg2fp62ff2c7b5nep@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:49:47 GMT, "Kevin Harper"
    > <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote as underneath my scribble :
    >
    > Ok Ill email it, do you have Corel v8 or higher or would you like some
    > other format, (its a two layer V8.cdr document in its present form).
    > Charlie+

    Charlie - no problem - bang it through as it is.

    Thanks again

    Kevin
    Anonymous
    June 25, 2005 3:58:20 PM

    >> I think I might agree with you on the purpose of the reflector. With a
    >> business card size cd-rom in place, the reflector is half covered and
    >> half
    >> exposed, which may well be confusing the printer. As per one of my
    >> previous
    >> posts, I've yet to try taping over it, but will let you all know the
    >> results
    >> as soon as I do.
    >
    > Someone over at steve's fourms, the massive canon printing cd-r
    > thread... sugested:
    >
    > "The insert for printing smaller CDs has a square hole which is the
    > same size as the other reflectors which exposes the reflector. I
    > believe its purpose is to to detect which size CD you are printing on."
    > --canonfodder
    >
    > http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40
    >
    > As I don't own a real one I must yield any knowelege to those who have
    > seen it :p

    As I've said previously, the adapter seems to be geared up for an 8cm
    circular cdr. With a business card cdr in place, the reflector is only part
    covered, which seems to be causing the confusion. I am going to try
    blanking off the reflector and see if this works.

    Kevin the Lurker
    Anonymous
    June 25, 2005 4:31:28 PM

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I think I might agree with you on the purpose of the reflector. With a
    >> business card size cd-rom in place, the reflector is half covered and
    >> half
    >> exposed, which may well be confusing the printer. As per one of my
    >> previous
    >> posts, I've yet to try taping over it, but will let you all know the
    >> results
    >> as soon as I do.
    >
    > Someone over at steve's fourms, the massive canon printing cd-r
    > thread... sugested:
    >
    > "The insert for printing smaller CDs has a square hole which is the
    > same size as the other reflectors which exposes the reflector. I
    > believe its purpose is to to detect which size CD you are printing on."
    > --canonfodder
    >
    > http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40
    >
    > As I don't own a real one I must yield any knowelege to those who have
    > seen it :p

    Please ignore my earlier reply. You were exactly right with the information
    you've given. I've done some further experimenting.

    1) I blanked off the "4th" reflector with black insulation tape, kept the
    insert off and printed. This made no difference, the printing was still way
    off.

    2) I removed the tape, used the insert and printed. Same result as 1).

    3) I blanked off the "4th" reflector, used the insert and printed. Result!

    This leaves me with two problems a) designing a template to print on to the
    business card cdrs without wasting too many with a trial and error process
    and b) the printable business card cdrs that I have are slightly too large
    for the inset (width is ok, but they are 1mm too long) which is why I tried
    without in the first place! Looks like it's time for a sharp knife - and
    the plastic that the insert is made from seems to be both thick (circa
    1.5mm) and possibly brittle - or any other suggestions please?

    Thanks once more.

    Kevin the Lurker
    June 25, 2005 8:34:28 PM

    > Looks like it's time for a sharp knife - and the plastic that the insert is made from
    > seems to be both thick (circa 1.5mm) and possibly brittle - or any other suggestions
    > please?

    1. Besides calling canon to see if you and get a replacement tray for
    free and sell the old one to a yank on e-bay for £25.00? Seriously...
    they might have a rom update or some such that isn't published on the
    website. they do have updates for the CD software online... and you
    can downloadthe whole thing from the taiwan site
    http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/driver2.asp?ProductID1...
    http://www.canon.com.hk/myContent/Product_Tab/ColorBubb...

    I just looked at the manual and it clearly shows that the square hole
    on the adapter should show the reflecter under it.

    2. Besides scanning the disc and plopping a template into a graphics
    program?

    I would say that surething might be an option, but the last time I
    checked they didn't support canon priting directly.

    I'm not sure if you have photoshop.. but you can find templates online
    I'm thinking that you might be able to blank out the CD sensor
    http://www.cds.com/specs/Digitalprint/

    take the 80mm template or business card one, plop on top of the 120mm
    template, delete, leaving you with a disc with a white spot. In turn
    you can take all that and plop into a 120mm which should be very easy
    to center, and save in a format that CD-label print can read.

    Do they make hockey rink / business card to 120mm disc adapters?
    Beyond the one canon provides
    The last known site now dead was http://microdiscs.de/. Not sure who
    would be dealing in such things in your neck of the woods presently.
    Anonymous
    June 26, 2005 3:53:53 PM

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 11:52:13 GMT, "Kevin Harper"
    <kdharper@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote as underneath my scribble :

    Ok - DONE!
    >Charlie - no problem - bang it through as it is.
    >
    >Thanks again
    >
    >Kevin

    Anonymous
    June 26, 2005 4:58:27 PM

    > Looks like it's time for a sharp knife - and the plastic that the insert
    > is made from
    > seems to be both thick (circa 1.5mm) and possibly brittle - or any other
    > suggestions
    > please?

    1. Besides calling canon to see if you and get a replacement tray for
    free and sell the old one to a yank on e-bay for £25.00? Seriously...
    they might have a rom update or some such that isn't published on the
    website.

    Good point - I will talk to canon support in the UK...and who knows, you
    might see me on ebay yet!

    > they do have updates for the CD software online... and you
    > can downloadthe whole thing from the taiwan site
    > http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/driver2.asp?ProductID1...
    http://www.canon.com.hk/myContent/Product_Tab/ColorBubb...

    Thanks for the links. I have checked and I have the latest version of the
    software and an actual paper copy of the cdr print guide - it came with the
    printer!

    > I just looked at the manual and it clearly shows that the square hole
    > on the adapter should show the reflecter under it.

    If it helps, looking at it in real life, the hole on my adapter doesn't line
    up with the 4th reflector, but is about midway between it and the other 3.
    If you look on pages 4 and 6 of the pdf manual, you should be able to see
    what I mean.

    > 2. Besides scanning the disc and plopping a template into a graphics
    > program?

    Good point.

    > I would say that surething might be an option, but the last time I
    > checked they didn't support canon priting directly.

    It still doesn't.

    > I'm not sure if you have photoshop.. but you can find templates online
    > I'm thinking that you might be able to blank out the CD sensor
    > http://www.cds.com/specs/Digitalprint/

    > take the 80mm template or business card one, plop on top of the 120mm
    > template, delete, leaving you with a disc with a white spot. In turn
    > you can take all that and plop into a 120mm which should be very easy
    > to center, and save in a format that CD-label print can read.

    I'm going to give it a try - thanks for that.

    > Do they make hockey rink / business card to 120mm disc adapters?
    > Beyond the one canon provides
    > The last known site now dead was http://microdiscs.de/. Not sure who
    > would be dealing in such things in your neck of the woods presently.

    Again, I will look in to all of this.

    Thanks for all of your help and the same to everyone else who has helped out
    on this. I really do feel as if I am getting somewhere with it now.

    Thanks again

    Kevin the Lurker
    June 27, 2005 5:25:37 PM

    >> I would say that surething might be an option, but the last time I
    >> checked they didn't support canon priting directly.

    >It still doesn't.

    I resorted to talking to tech support (I feel deep shame). Anyhow, you
    are correct they them selfs still don't support it. I can understand
    as they likely don't even have one to test, otherwise they are pretty
    good about supporting losts of cd printers. But support was nice
    enough to refer me to 3rd party templates.

    Note i've not tried these yet... my demo has expired.

    "You can try using one of the Canon templates from here:
    http://pete.mvd2.com/custom_templates.htm , otherwise you will have to
    customize your own template.

    To do this, go to the File menu, click on New and select a [CD Printer]

    template that you think most closely matches your own and hit Finish.
    Now go
    to the File menu and click on Page Setup. You will need to adjust these

    fields to your labels/printers specifications. If you are unsure what
    one of
    the fields correspondes to, just click the Help button.

    You can also save as a template by going to the File menu and select
    Save
    As. Select Template (*.stt) from the Save as type field and check the
    Place
    layout in category box to save in a category like CD Label. Give the
    template a name and Save." ----s. kelly surething support
    June 28, 2005 1:21:03 AM

    update - tested one of their templates and it worked just fine on the
    ip3000.

    http://pete.mvd2.com/canon_ip4000_v3.std

    (saved as \prog files\surething\stcd\user templates, opened, saved as a
    template, printed).

    Using this template, and after manually setting the printer for tray b,
    printable disc, yadda yadda yadda, I was successfully able to print
    onto a DVD using surething. It's a full faced design.... but I imagine
    one can use one of those nice spiffy templates I sited before and with
    some good old fashioned trial and error.

    Probally not the answer you wanted, but at the very least another
    option.

    Some other templates are listed here.
    http://sleeperman.topcities.com/canon.htm
    Anonymous
    July 1, 2005 1:03:49 PM

    > "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Looks like it's time for a sharp knife - and the plastic that the insert
    >> is made from
    >> seems to be both thick (circa 1.5mm) and possibly brittle - or any other
    >> suggestions
    >> please?
    >
    > 1. Besides calling canon to see if you and get a replacement tray for
    > free and sell the old one to a yank on e-bay for £25.00? Seriously...
    > they might have a rom update or some such that isn't published on the
    > website.

    Latest update - Canon support (UK) have come back to me today and said that
    only 12cm and 8cm cdrs are supported by the printer and business card cdrs
    are not. Looks like I will be getting the sharp knife out after all.

    Thanks again for all of the help.

    Kevin the Lurker
    July 2, 2005 5:43:33 AM

    > Latest update - Canon support (UK) have come back to me today and said that
    > only 12cm and 8cm cdrs are supported by the printer and business card cdrs
    > are not. Looks like I will be getting the sharp knife out after all.

    You might want to check out "Miss Perspicacia Tick's" saga. If you'll
    note http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/3.html the image I have enclosed
    as i'm sure you have on yours it's evident the sled is designed to take
    business cards and 80mm. If you're talking about hockey rink (rounded
    business cards) well canon could be right, but business card CDrs are
    supported.

    You might want to e-mail them in a polite way with your contact info
    and explain, "Dear canon - I was just told you don't support business
    sized CDrs when it's very clear in the manual and the software that
    they are".

    Or you just might want to continue doing what you're doing. In any
    event, do take the time to post your complaint and case number. There
    is some guy that "says" he can report to canon... not sure if he's for
    real but your complaint is so legit I'll take the time to copy and
    paste.

    Also, I was impressed by my communicate with "Sure thing". While our
    canons are not officaly supported they are half way supported which is
    better than you'd expect for a product not sold in their (my) country.
    who knows, they might take the time to make a template for you... they
    seemed most interested when I told them "i'm buying your product cause
    the canon software is inadquate".

    Miss Perspicacia Tick's saga.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printe...
    Anonymous
    July 2, 2005 11:04:45 PM

    > You might want to check out "Miss Perspicacia Tick's" saga. If you'll
    > note http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/3.html the image I have enclosed
    > as i'm sure you have on yours it's evident the sled is designed to take
    > business cards and 80mm. If you're talking about hockey rink (rounded
    > business cards) well canon could be right, but business card CDrs are
    > supported.

    I am actually talking about business card and not hockey rink cdrs. I did
    make this specific point to the support bod that I spoke to but he was
    adamant that it did say in the manual that they were not supported. I did
    say that I had checked all through the manual and that there was no mention
    of it.

    > You might want to e-mail them in a polite way with your contact info
    > and explain, "Dear canon - I was just told you don't support business
    > sized CDrs when it's very clear in the manual and the software that
    > they are".

    It's worth noting that I emailed support when this all first started and
    they said that it was a software problem - their software did not support
    business card cdrs. They did say that it should be possible with 3rd party
    software. Once I find the email, I might throw it back at them -
    unfortunately I think it was on my business email address and not my
    personal one so I can't access it at the moment

    > Or you just might want to continue doing what you're doing. In any
    > event, do take the time to post your complaint and case number. There
    > is some guy that "says" he can report to canon... not sure if he's for
    > real but your complaint is so legit I'll take the time to copy and
    > paste.

    Might be worth a thought.

    > Also, I was impressed by my communicate with "Sure thing". While our
    > canons are not officaly supported they are half way supported which is
    > better than you'd expect for a product not sold in their (my) country.
    > who knows, they might take the time to make a template for you... they
    > seemed most interested when I told them "i'm buying your product cause
    > the canon software is inadquate".

    Again, might be worth a thought. The pain of it is - the canon software is
    more than adequate for 12 cm cdrs!

    Thanks

    Kevin the Lurker
    Anonymous
    July 4, 2005 4:18:33 AM

    Begs the question why have a template holder that is the size for
    business card CD?

    To my shame I can confess that I took the advice from a member of PC
    World's sales staff regarding this issue before I bought it.
    :-(
    Anonymous
    July 4, 2005 1:13:49 PM

    "Andy Graham" <tagfc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Begs the question why have a template holder that is the size for
    > business card CD?

    I'm certain that with the right software, or a bit of trail and error, it
    can (and will) be done. My big problem at the moment is that the holder is
    "slightly" (0.5ish mm top and bottom) too small for the busines card cd-roms
    that I have.

    > To my shame I can confess that I took the advice from a member of PC
    > World's sales staff regarding this issue before I bought it.
    > :-(

    We all have to learn somewhere. You can get your own back though...(1) a
    while ago, I was descended upon by one of their "assistants" as soon as I
    started to look at something. He asked me "Can I help you with anything?",
    to which I promptly replied, "Yes, can you explain the Theory of Relativity
    to me, it's been puzzling me for a long time". The look on his face was
    absolutely wonderful...and (2) they have a ruse to get your address and
    details into their system so that they can plague you with enormous
    quantities of advertising "bumph" by post. Their cashiers are "trained" to
    ask "are you buying this for a business?" and when you respond in the
    positive to this question, they will then ask "can I have your personal
    details so that we can issue you with a VAT receipt"; I purchased something
    from them (approx £100 value) and, of course, I was asked this question.
    I'm self employed, so I generally do buy for my business, albeit on a
    personal credit card. At this point, I told the cashier "I am not prepared
    to give my personal information out, having done this a couple of times
    previously and I now receive 3 or 4 copies of each mailing your people send
    out"; she replied "well, I can't let you have a VAT receipt then" and I then
    said "are you prepared for me to contact HM Customs and Excise then and
    inform them that PC World and you personally are acting illegally in not
    issuing me a VAT receipt for a purchase that is VAT chargeable?"...she
    backed down very quickly.

    Sorry for the long post. You can tell that I'm really impressed with PC
    World - I won't go into the saga of the non working printer that I purchased
    from them and the awful time I had getting a refund.

    Kevin the Lurker
    !