WINS and DNS server migration

I'm migrating an NT4 server running WINS, DNS, and DHCP to new hardware and
Windows 2000 Server SP4. I've tested the migration with the new server and
followed knowledge base articles 130642 and 300473 with great success. I
also copied the DNS Zone files from the old server and recreated those zones
on the new server to use those files. Everything so far has been without
fail.

I'll be reusing the same IP address, but I want the new server to NOT retain
the same name and rather follow our new naming convention. Do either WINS
or DNS rely on the computer name of the server?

Thanks,
Stan Cooper

In news:uN$K6qtUEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Stan Cooper <stanc@firbd1.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm migrating an NT4 server running WINS, DNS, and DHCP to new
> hardware and Windows 2000 Server SP4. I've tested the migration with
> the new server and followed knowledge base articles 130642 and 300473
> with great success. I also copied the DNS Zone files from the old
> server and recreated those zones on the new server to use those
> files. Everything so far has been without fail.
>
> I'll be reusing the same IP address, but I want the new server to NOT
> retain the same name and rather follow our new naming convention. Do
> either WINS or DNS rely on the computer name of the server?

DNS relies on the computer name only to the extent that it must have a Fully
Qualified Domain name. This means that while NT4 is happy with just being
"server", Win2k is not happy unless its name is
"server.domainname.<sometopleveldomain> You can replace the
<sometopleveldomain> with .com, .net, or even .local.
Active Directory will not funtion properly if the domain name is just
"domain" rather than "domain.tld" (its the dot in the domain that makes the
difference)

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Thanks for your reply. We are not implementing Active Directory at this
time and the Windows 2000 Server that will be running WINS, DNS, and DHCP
will be a member of an NT4 Domain.

Thanks,
Stan Cooper