Sign in with
Your question

"Dell AMD-Based Notebooks With ATI Graphics"

Last response: in CPUs
August 11, 2006 7:06:58 PM

I guess AMD's acquisition of ATI started to work already. :wink:

Quote:
Forthcoming Dell's AMD-based notebooks, which are expected to be available in late October or early November, will be equipped with ATI Mobility Radeon graphics chips, according to sources at Taiwan notebook makers...

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060811A2003.html
August 11, 2006 7:38:27 PM

My K-12 Education Dell representative today still said there was no official word on an AMD-DELL deal in desktops and notebooks. He said anything he would be able to say would be "speculation".
August 11, 2006 7:58:51 PM

Quote:

Forthcoming Dell's AMD-based notebooks, which are expected to be available in late October or early November, will be equipped with ATI Mobility Radeon graphics chips, according to sources at Taiwan notebook makers...

I would not doubt Dell to start using AMD, however they will probably be used in their low-end laptops. But since they started using Opties in their servers its become far more likely that amd will filter through to the whole Dell line of roducts.
Related resources
August 11, 2006 8:06:09 PM

I don't get why, AMD has shortage problems and Turions are total crap, not to mention Meroms will be out in like a month.
August 11, 2006 8:11:48 PM

AMD got ATI? Man, no internet for 4 weeks and look what I missed out on.
August 11, 2006 8:19:54 PM

Makes sense I guess... but to be perfectly honest, if Merom's pricing and availability is all right I don't really expect a whole lot of AMD notebooks(not that there won't be any).
August 11, 2006 8:21:23 PM

Quote:
AMD got ATI? Man, no internet for 4 weeks and look what I missed out on.

lol... awesome.
August 11, 2006 8:23:39 PM

lol i just noticed ur 6 posts away from 666 lol not that it matters...
August 11, 2006 9:06:50 PM

OK... so?

ATI Radeon is already available for Intel based notebooks.

Unless this article is suggesting that ONLY ATI graphics will be available on AMD Based notebooks, I don't see the significance.
August 11, 2006 11:02:16 PM

Zomfg, bro is that you?
August 12, 2006 12:01:07 AM

Quote:

9 inch, lay off the crack. Like an ATI/AMD notebook is something special. My 18 month old HP is an AMD/ATI.

Gee, you must think AMD/ATI notebooks are rare and special. Tell ya what. I'll sell you mine for $7999.00
August 12, 2006 12:48:09 AM

Quote:
My K-12 Education Dell representative today still said there was no official word on an AMD-DELL deal in desktops and notebooks. He said anything he would be able to say would be "speculation".

When I worked at Miscrosoft, I didn't know we were doing Itanium server until the builds showed up and the press mentioned it.
August 12, 2006 12:56:56 AM

Why would the office cleaners be informed?
August 12, 2006 1:08:44 AM

I have been out on the road for 4 weeks now truck driving, I finally got myself a laptop so I could get on the net again.
August 12, 2006 1:36:35 AM

Quote:

ROFLMAO :lol:  :lol: 
August 12, 2006 2:20:42 AM

Awesome, must suck, its like, i dunno, being in a stasis pod and then getting released 40 years later after WW IV
August 12, 2006 3:19:09 AM

Quote:

LMAO,

Look, BM voted for me, woo hoo
August 12, 2006 3:43:42 AM

Quote:

LMAO,

Look, BM voted for me, woo hoo

Poor Baron --- taking from every direction.

LIKE YOUR MOM!! :twisted:

lol j/k couldn't restist... my immature side took over, its one of those diseases we talked about :cry:  :wink:
August 12, 2006 4:11:57 AM

sorry... like i said i couldn't resist :cry:  :wink:

take no offense from anything i say since its all said in jest 8)
August 12, 2006 4:24:41 AM

Quote:

I guess you missed it when I posted the blue badge ended up with as a souvenir. Not to mention the ship-it gift I got for XP (Itanium, X86)
Blue badge means you have people like turpit clean up after you. Maybe JagOff and Ab -ass can help out.
August 12, 2006 4:38:49 AM

Quote:
sorry... like i said i couldn't resist :cry:  :wink:

take no offense from anything i say since its all said in jest 8)

No problem - - I can take just about anything, but 'mom' joke do bother me some... not just my mom, but any 'mom'.

really? mom jokes don't bother me... i mean i like my mom, shes very nice, too nice... but i still MOOO when she comes in the room :p  :wink:
August 12, 2006 4:55:40 AM

Pretty far i'm sure....

as long as we keep the mods laughing they won't build up enough anger to shut our fun down.... at least that's my theory :) 

speaking of off topic... how bout crossfire mobo's for am2 of quality... do they exist? i hear by the end of the month they will... can someone back that up

oh ya ... and er... MOOOOO :wink:
August 12, 2006 5:06:40 AM

Quote:
Pretty far i'm sure....

as long as we keep the mods laughing they won't build up enough anger to shut our fun down.... at least that's my theory :) 

speaking of off topic... how bout crossfire mobo's for am2 of quality... do they exist? i hear by the end of the month they will... can someone back that up

oh ya ... and er... MOOOOO :wink:

No that would be news --- it will likely be before the end of the year. How long before nVidia releases drivers to enable SLI on 975?

good point. That sucks because i like ati cards, but only nvidia has good mobos. Oh well, i'm waiting to see the x1950's at the end of the month then either buying a 1900xt or 1950xt :cry:  8)

sorry but i just can't think of anything else random or off topic or funny too say. DAMN, ohwell, tomorrow's a new day :twisted:
August 12, 2006 5:24:46 AM

You think the 3200 chipset will be better than the 590? It probably won't matter in the end since i'll probably never go sli/cf, but its nice to have the option, and usually the good boards all support it anyway so i may as well get it. That crosshair board looks crazy, and its now available on the site i'm buying my pc from. Although my concern is the price $310 CAD, 40 more than M2N32-sli deluxe, and the fact that that massive heatpipe will probably prevent me from putting my zalman 9500 cooler on there. :cry:  :x
August 12, 2006 5:41:01 AM

Quote:
You think the 3200 chipset will be better than the 590? It probably won't matter in the end since i'll probably never go sli/cf, but its nice to have the option, and usually the good boards all support it anyway so i may as well get it. That crosshair board looks crazy, and its now available on the site i'm buying my pc from. Although my concern is the price $310 CAD, 40 more than M2N32-sli deluxe, and the fact that that massive heatpipe will probably prevent me from putting my zalman 9500 cooler on there. :cry:  :x

No, but I think within a few quarters after the merger there will be say a 3400, and it will be better :)  ... point is, when you bring capability under the same roof --- communications get better, documentation gets better, designs get better --- otherwise there was really no reason for AMD to buy ATI in the first place.

True. If AMD and ATI work well, and the "cultures" of either company don't clash, they could make some pretty damn good chipsets, GPUs, and embedded products.

But if AMD or ATI starts to balk, or if too many ATI, and to a lesser extent AMD, engineers feel pushed aside, it could result in a mass exodus, which could benefit nVidia, intel, VIA, or any other semiconductor company looking for good, experienced engineers, and might even hurt the new AMD/ATI company, especially if senior engineers or lead design engineers fly the coop.
August 12, 2006 5:44:16 AM

so what's your opinion on the crosshair? worth it? I'm thinking not but hey, i'm not too "exterme" :wink:

ps. i doubt the engineers will flee unless they are forced to flee :wink:
August 12, 2006 5:48:32 AM

Yeah, I really don't see any engineers leaving, by choice.

I have seen it though, when a smaller company gets bought and the engineers just don't see themselves in a larger corporate structure.
!