Simple DNS question

aw

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Hi, I have added a Static DNS record in our DNS server.
We are on an Active Directory 2003 Native network, how do
I get that record to update quickly? I add it and I can't
use the new DNS name for ages!

Kind Regards

AW

Names added in the gui are available in the zone (i.e. in memory)
emmidiately. Sync to other secondaries or active primaries is not done
until normal event processing (i.e. notify, ixfr, etc.) What are you
seeing?

--
William Stacey, MVP

"AW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have added a Static DNS record in our DNS server.
> We are on an Active Directory 2003 Native network, how do
> I get that record to update quickly? I add it and I can't
> use the new DNS name for ages!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> AW

If you are using the DNS server where you created the record you should be
able to resolve it straight away. If you are using a secondary DNS server
then you might want to check out the refresh rate in the SOA record which is
an hour by default.

"AW" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have added a Static DNS record in our DNS server.
> We are on an Active Directory 2003 Native network, how do
> I get that record to update quickly? I add it and I can't
> use the new DNS name for ages!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> AW

In news:1c6a601c452e7$0c910490$a601280a@phx.gbl,
AW <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Hi, I have added a Static DNS record in our DNS server.
> We are on an Active Directory 2003 Native network, how do
> I get that record to update quickly? I add it and I can't
> use the new DNS name for ages!
>
> Kind Regards
>
> AW

IN addition to the other responses, are you only specifying this DNS server
ONLY when testing/using it? If you have other DNS addresses configured in
your IP properties, I can see why this would be happening.

Keep in mind, when testing on a client (even from the DNS server itself), be
sure to flush the DNS cache:
ipconfig /flushdns
so it performs a fresh query.

May also want to flush the DNS server cache as well (DNS, rt-click server,
clear cache).

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --