DNS internal resolution

In news:1d17e01c4531b$e89d1e90$a001280a@phx.gbl,
Fred <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Hello
>
> How can I change the DNS order in my DNS server for
> internal resolution ?
>
> Thanks

Not sure what you mean and you haven't provided enough info on waht you have
and what you're trying to accomplish.

Are you saying you have two DNS addresses listed in IP properties? Just swap
them around. Just to point out, the DNS addresses in IP properties, even on
a DNS server, are independent on the fact DNS is running on it. IP property
settings just tells the Client side DNS resolver service what DNS to use, ad
it doesn;t have to be itself.

Now if you're saying that you have two, one of which is itself, the other an
ISP's, and you may be running AD, then I must point out that using the ISPs
DNS address in your properties will cause major issues. Just use your
internal one only and configure a Forwarder on your DNS server as per:
http://support.microsoft.com/id?=300202

--
Regards,
Ace

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
pig. --
=================================

fred

Thanks Ace

It looks to me that my DNS does external resolution
before using its own zones.

Fred

In news:1d1f801c4538b$edf766f0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Fred <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> posted their thoughts, then I
offered mine
> Thanks Ace
>
> It looks to me that my DNS does external resolution
> before using its own zones.
>
> Fred

Hi Fred,

THat doesn't make sense. Need more info to test your conclusions.

Can you please elaborate on exactly how you are testing this?

1. Are you testing it from a client? If so, what DNS address are set on it
in ip properties?
2. Are you testing this from the DNS server itself? If so, what DNS
addrssess are set in it's ip properties?

If a zone exists in DNS, it will check that FIRST since it is SOA for the
zone and it OWNS the zone. Any other behavior is based on what the client
machine is configured with.

Tell you what, to eliminate any more guess work on my part, post an ipconfig
/all from whatever machine you ar testing this with please, including if it
is the DNS server itself, since a DNS server has it's own client side
resolver independent of the fact it is a DNS server. Make sense?