Intermittent Internet Connection - DNS Netlogon refresh pr..

I just reconfigured my DNS server (windows 2000 of course). It's an
all-in-one server with 2 network cards (thanks again Kevin). I seem to have
a problem with all my workstations. It seems that every hour they lose
internet connection for a few minutes. I'm not sure what's going on. I
have all client's DNS pointing to my internal DNS server only. It seems to
be that a refresh is happening - with DNS or Netlogon service and so I'm
losing internet connection while this happens. I'm not positive that this
is the problem - only a guess. Please help if you can????
thanks
21 answers Last reply
More about intermittent internet connection netlogon refresh

    Why are there two network cards?

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    "Darrel" <dl1972####hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just reconfigured my DNS server (windows 2000 of course). It's an
    > all-in-one server with 2 network cards (thanks again Kevin). I seem to
    have
    > a problem with all my workstations. It seems that every hour they lose
    > internet connection for a few minutes. I'm not sure what's going on. I
    > have all client's DNS pointing to my internal DNS server only. It seems
    > be that a refresh is happening - with DNS or Netlogon service and so I'm
    > losing internet connection while this happens. I'm not positive that this
    > is the problem - only a guess. Please help if you can????
    > thanks

    one for public internet, one for local network

    In news:jRNzc.18701$1L4.15666@okepread02,
    Darrel <dl1972@hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > one for public internet, one for local network

    It's recommended NOT to multihome a DNS, DC, or Exchange server or mutliple
    issues will occur, and I know, that was discussed in that other thread with
    Kevin.

    Any specific errors you're getting on a client or the server? If you *think*
    it's based on Netlogon's default hourly registration period (in W2k only),
    then an error will more than likely appear in the event viewer.

    Have you tried changing the forwarder? Try 4.2.2.2.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================

    I understand that it's not recommended, but we're not going to buy another
    server.
    When this happens, the clients are just getting the "Page cannot be
    displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error" error in IE. There are no
    errors in the event viewer. I'll try changing the forwarder and see what
    happens.
    thanks

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:%23OP1Bg1UEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > In news:jRNzc.18701$1L4.15666@okepread02,
    > Darrel <dl1972@hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > > one for public internet, one for local network
    >

    > It's recommended NOT to multihome a DNS, DC, or Exchange server or
    mutliple
    > issues will occur, and I know, that was discussed in that other thread
    with
    > Kevin.
    >
    > Any specific errors you're getting on a client or the server? If you
    *think*
    > it's based on Netlogon's default hourly registration period (in W2k only),
    > then an error will more than likely appear in the event viewer.
    >
    > Have you tried changing the forwarder? Try 4.2.2.2.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > pig. --
    > =================================

    You can try to adjust the binding order so that the external nic doesn't
    register with DNS or WINS and this can help to get these registrations more
    consistent for the clients. These are the types of problems you get when
    running like this. This can work but it will take some tweaking. Is this
    server doing NAT?

    --

    > I understand that it's not recommended, but we're not going to buy another
    > server.
    > When this happens, the clients are just getting the "Page cannot be
    > displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error" error in IE. There are no
    > errors in the event viewer. I'll try changing the forwarder and see what
    > happens.
    > thanks
    >
    > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > message news:%23OP1Bg1UEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > > In news:jRNzc.18701$1L4.15666@okepread02,
    > > Darrel <dl1972@hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > > > one for public internet, one for local network
    > >

    > > It's recommended NOT to multihome a DNS, DC, or Exchange server or
    > mutliple
    > > issues will occur, and I know, that was discussed in that other thread
    > with
    > > Kevin.
    > >
    > > Any specific errors you're getting on a client or the server? If you
    > *think*
    > > it's based on Netlogon's default hourly registration period (in W2k
    only),
    > > then an error will more than likely appear in the event viewer.
    > >
    > > Have you tried changing the forwarder? Try 4.2.2.2.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Ace
    > >
    > > Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    > > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > > rights.
    > >
    > > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    > >
    > > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > > pig. --
    > > =================================

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I do have NAT running. As for the binding order, the internal NIC is on top
    and the external NIC is underneath it. The external has nothing checked on
    it. Thanks

    > You can try to adjust the binding order so that the external nic doesn't
    > register with DNS or WINS and this can help to get these registrations
    more
    > consistent for the clients. These are the types of problems you get when
    > running like this. This can work but it will take some tweaking. Is this
    > server doing NAT?
    >
    > --
    > Scott Harding
    > MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows NT Server
    >
    > "Darrel" <dl1972####hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I understand that it's not recommended, but we're not going to buy
    another
    > > server.
    > > When this happens, the clients are just getting the "Page cannot be
    > > displayed...Cannot find server or DNS Error" error in IE. There are no
    > > errors in the event viewer. I'll try changing the forwarder and see
    what
    > > happens.
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > "Ace Fekay [MVP]"
    > > <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com> wrote in
    > > message news:%23OP1Bg1UEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > > > In news:jRNzc.18701$1L4.15666@okepread02,
    > > > Darrel <dl1972@hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > > >

    > > > It's recommended NOT to multihome a DNS, DC, or Exchange server or
    > > mutliple
    > > > issues will occur, and I know, that was discussed in that other thread
    > > with
    > > > Kevin.
    > > >
    > > > Any specific errors you're getting on a client or the server? If you
    > > *think*
    > > > it's based on Netlogon's default hourly registration period (in W2k
    > only),
    > > > then an error will more than likely appear in the event viewer.
    > > >
    > > > Have you tried changing the forwarder? Try 4.2.2.2.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Ace
    > > >
    > > > Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    > > > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > > > rights.
    > > >
    > > > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > > > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    > > >
    > > > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > > > pig. --
    > > > =================================

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:OX0F$T8UEHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > I do have NAT running. As for the binding order, the internal NIC is
    > on top and the external NIC is underneath it. The external has
    > nothing checked on it. Thanks

    On the external interface, have you disabled MS Client, F&P services and
    Netbios?
    In DNS server properties, interface tab, have DNS only listen on the
    internal interface.

    Did changing the forwarder work?

    I've also seen this happen if the DNS server is directly connected to an
    ADSL router using PPPoE and the router has a time out setting and will drop
    the link due to inactivity. Once the connection is broken and the forwarder
    is not available, DNS seems to fall asleep and when the connection comes
    back up, DNS doesn't, so a restart of the DNS server service will kick it
    back to life.

    If you do have an ADSL connection directly connected using PPP, check this
    out. This is an old article, but it applies to W2k as well:
    175436 - Microsoft NT4 DNS Stops Forwarding Queries After PPP Link Goes Down
    {applies to W2k too]:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175436

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    message news:OADx3fBVEHA.712@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > In news:OX0F$T8UEHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > > I do have NAT running. As for the binding order, the internal NIC is
    > > on top and the external NIC is underneath it. The external has
    > > nothing checked on it. Thanks
    > >

    > On the external interface, have you disabled MS Client, F&P services and
    > Netbios?
    > In DNS server properties, interface tab, have DNS only listen on the
    > internal interface.

    The only thing I have checked on the external NIC is TCP/IP. The DNS Server
    is setup to only listen on the internal interface.

    > Did changing the forwarder work?

    No, it still loses connection for a few minutes.

    > I've also seen this happen if the DNS server is directly connected to an
    > ADSL router using PPPoE and the router has a time out setting and will
    drop
    > the link due to inactivity. Once the connection is broken and the
    forwarder
    > is not available, DNS seems to fall asleep and when the connection comes
    > back up, DNS doesn't, so a restart of the DNS server service will kick it
    > back to life.
    >
    > If you do have an ADSL connection directly connected using PPP, check this
    > out. This is an old article, but it applies to W2k as well:
    > 175436 - Microsoft NT4 DNS Stops Forwarding Queries After PPP Link Goes
    Down
    > {applies to W2k too]:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175436

    Don't think this applies to me. I don't have to restart the server to get
    the connection back. It just starts working again within a few minutes.
    Plus, this never happened until I reconfigured the DNS server last week -
    had been working ok for over 2 years.
    thanks though!

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > pig. --
    > =================================

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:%23MgahIHVEHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine

    >> I've also seen this happen if the DNS server is directly connected
    >> to an ADSL router using PPPoE and the router has a time out setting
    >> and will drop the link due to inactivity. Once the connection is
    >> broken and the forwarder is not available, DNS seems to fall asleep
    >> and when the connection comes back up, DNS doesn't, so a restart of
    >> the DNS server service will kick it back to life.
    >>
    >> If you do have an ADSL connection directly connected using PPP,
    >> check this out. This is an old article, but it applies to W2k as
    >> well: 175436 - Microsoft NT4 DNS Stops Forwarding Queries After PPP
    >> Link Goes Down {applies to W2k too]:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=175436
    >>
    > Don't think this applies to me. I don't have to restart the server
    > to get the connection back. It just starts working again within a
    > few minutes. Plus, this never happened until I reconfigured the DNS
    > server last week - had been working ok for over 2 years.
    > thanks though!

    No prob, just trying to work thru possibilities. So you say you do have
    ADSL?

    If I may ask, and I know you and Kevin were working on this together, but
    what exactly was reconfigured with DNS last week? Usually it's prudent to
    look at what was recently changed in determining problem causes with regards
    to any tech issues, especially if you believe the problem just started
    happening and a change was recently made and especially if it was working
    for the past 2 years and all of a suddent it's not working.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Ace Wrote:
    > No prob, just trying to work thru possibilities. So you say you do have
    > ADSL?
    >
    > If I may ask, and I know you and Kevin were working on this together, but
    > what exactly was reconfigured with DNS last week? Usually it's prudent to
    > look at what was recently changed in determining problem causes with
    regards
    > to any tech issues, especially if you believe the problem just started
    > happening and a change was recently made and especially if it was working
    > for the past 2 years and all of a suddent it's not working.

    I'll try to explain what he/we did. I had to demote my domain controller
    and repromote it in order to rename it - I used lan.publicname.com. I then
    resetup the DNS zones and added a delegation under publicname.com zone for
    lan.publicname.com and used my internal address. I setup some other things
    on DNS, but still had some things messed up so I let Kevin use Terminal
    Services to come in and finish up. It was strange though, because something
    he said to set at my internal IP kept changing back to my public IP once I
    reloaded the zone or once the Zone refreshed. For example:

    Under the zone lan.publicname.com (active directory integrated with secure
    updates only), the name of the computer (server1) keeps changing its IP
    address to the public IP as a nameserver and host. This last time that it
    did it, I just left it at the external address to see if that makes a
    difference. I haven't noticed it yet, but I haven't been on the internet
    all that much since then, so I'm still checking that out.
    I had one other question about the reverse zones. The reverse zone for
    192.168.1.x is AD integrated with secure updates only. And the reverse zone
    for my public IP is Primary with NO updates. I know that Kevin said for the
    forward public zones to NOT allow updates, but he still had the reverse zone
    set up to YES updates. I changed it to NO. Which is correct?
    thanks again
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:eSGH%23DIVEHA.3168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > I'll try to explain what he/we did. I had to demote my domain
    > controller and repromote it in order to rename it - I used
    > lan.publicname.com. I then resetup the DNS zones and added a
    > delegation under publicname.com zone for lan.publicname.com and used
    > my internal address. I setup some other things on DNS, but still had
    > some things messed up so I let Kevin use Terminal Services to come in
    > and finish up. It was strange though, because something he said to
    > set at my internal IP kept changing back to my public IP once I
    > reloaded the zone or once the Zone refreshed. For example:
    >
    > Under the zone lan.publicname.com (active directory integrated with
    > secure updates only), the name of the computer (server1) keeps
    > changing its IP address to the public IP as a nameserver and host.
    > This last time that it did it, I just left it at the external address
    > to see if that makes a difference. I haven't noticed it yet, but I
    > haven't been on the internet all that much since then, so I'm still
    > checking that out.

    If you only have one DNS server, I don't understand why you even needed a
    delegation. If your AD DNS domain name is:
    lan.publicname.com
    Then just create that zone in DNS and allow updates. Do you have a parent or
    the root domain called publicname.com and do you have a child domain called
    lan.publicname.com or is it just the one AD domain name, which is also the
    root of your forest, called: lan.publicname.com ? If that's so, I don't see
    why a delegation was necessary. It can also invite errors if there's not a
    DNS server to "delegate" to. Know what I mean?

    Could you elaborate on that for me?

    > I had one other question about the reverse zones. The reverse zone
    > for 192.168.1.x is AD integrated with secure updates only. And the
    > reverse zone for my public IP is Primary with NO updates. I know
    > that Kevin said for the forward public zones to NOT allow updates,
    > but he still had the reverse zone set up to YES updates. I changed
    > it to NO. Which is correct?
    > thanks again

    Internally its ok to let it allow updates. Externally, there's no need for a
    reverse zone, since the public IP is owned by your ISP.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:eSGH%23DIVEHA.3168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Under the zone lan.publicname.com (active directory integrated with
    > secure updates only), the name of the computer (server1) keeps
    > changing its IP address to the public IP as a nameserver and host.
    > This last time that it did it, I just left it at the external address
    > to see if that makes a difference. I haven't noticed it yet, but I
    > haven't been on the internet all that much since then, so I'm still
    > checking that out.

    Is that still happening?
    Is DNS still only listening on the internal IP on the interfaces tab?
    DNS is supposed to use the IP on the listener tab for the IP of the Domain
    Controller, that is what is supposed to happen anyway. If DNS is listening
    on the internal IP and it is giving the DC host record the public IP
    something is amiss, there is a KB article on this I'll have to look it up
    and post it when I can find it.

    > I had one other question about the reverse zones. The reverse zone
    > for 192.168.1.x is AD integrated with secure updates only. And the
    > reverse zone for my public IP is Primary with NO updates. I know
    > that Kevin said for the forward public zones to NOT allow updates,
    > but he still had the reverse zone set up to YES updates. I changed
    > it to NO. Which is correct?
    > thanks again

    Your delegate reverse public zone should be set to no, in fact all you
    public zones should be no updates, the inernal private zones should be Only
    secure updates, I apologize if I missed that.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    In news:%23PS4XxKVEHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
    posted a question
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > In news:eSGH%23DIVEHA.3168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    >> I'll try to explain what he/we did. I had to demote my domain
    >> controller and repromote it in order to rename it - I used
    >> lan.publicname.com. I then resetup the DNS zones and added a
    >> delegation under publicname.com zone for lan.publicname.com and used
    >> my internal address. I setup some other things on DNS, but still had
    >> some things messed up so I let Kevin use Terminal Services to come in
    >> and finish up. It was strange though, because something he said to
    >> set at my internal IP kept changing back to my public IP once I
    >> reloaded the zone or once the Zone refreshed. For example:
    >>
    >> Under the zone lan.publicname.com (active directory integrated with
    >> secure updates only), the name of the computer (server1) keeps
    >> changing its IP address to the public IP as a nameserver and host.
    >> This last time that it did it, I just left it at the external address
    >> to see if that makes a difference. I haven't noticed it yet, but I
    >> haven't been on the internet all that much since then, so I'm still
    >> checking that out.
    >
    > If you only have one DNS server, I don't understand why you even
    > needed a delegation. If your AD DNS domain name is:
    > lan.publicname.com
    > Then just create that zone in DNS and allow updates. Do you have a
    > parent or the root domain called publicname.com and do you have a
    > child domain called lan.publicname.com or is it just the one AD
    > domain name, which is also the root of your forest, called:
    > lan.publicname.com ? If that's so, I don't see why a delegation was
    > necessary. It can also invite errors if there's not a DNS server to
    > "delegate" to. Know what I mean?
    >
    > Could you elaborate on that for me?

    The delegation is to the internal name of the DC
    "server1.lan.publicname.com" with its private IP.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ============================
    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    It will strip signature out and more
    OEBackup:
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:%23dpj4lPVEHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> posted their thoughts, then
    I offered mine

    >> If you only have one DNS server, I don't understand why you even
    >> needed a delegation. If your AD DNS domain name is:
    >> lan.publicname.com
    >> Then just create that zone in DNS and allow updates. Do you have a
    >> parent or the root domain called publicname.com and do you have a
    >> child domain called lan.publicname.com or is it just the one AD
    >> domain name, which is also the root of your forest, called:
    >> lan.publicname.com ? If that's so, I don't see why a delegation was
    >> necessary. It can also invite errors if there's not a DNS server to
    >> "delegate" to. Know what I mean?
    >>
    >> Could you elaborate on that for me?
    >
    > The delegation is to the internal name of the DC
    > "server1.lan.publicname.com" with its private IP.

    Kevin, I was wondering where you were with this... glad you jumped in.

    How many DNS servers are there? I'm kind of confused on this. Are there two
    DNS servers or is there just one? I thought there was just one server. I'm
    not able to make that clear thru the replies. If there's two, and there's
    only one internally, where's the other one?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > In news:eSGH%23DIVEHA.3168@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted a question
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Under the zone lan.publicname.com (active directory integrated with
    > > secure updates only), the name of the computer (server1) keeps
    > > changing its IP address to the public IP as a nameserver and host.
    > > This last time that it did it, I just left it at the external address
    > > to see if that makes a difference. I haven't noticed it yet, but I
    > > haven't been on the internet all that much since then, so I'm still
    > > checking that out.
    >
    > Is that still happening?

    YES - right now, the nameserver/host server1.lan.publicname.com under the
    lan.publicname.com is my external IP.

    > Is DNS still only listening on the internal IP on the interfaces tab?
    YES - listens only on internal

    > DNS is supposed to use the IP on the listener tab for the IP of the Domain
    > Controller, that is what is supposed to happen anyway. If DNS is listening
    > on the internal IP and it is giving the DC host record the public IP
    > something is amiss, there is a KB article on this I'll have to look it up
    > and post it when I can find it.
    >
    > > I had one other question about the reverse zones. The reverse zone
    > > for 192.168.1.x is AD integrated with secure updates only. And the
    > > reverse zone for my public IP is Primary with NO updates. I know
    > > that Kevin said for the forward public zones to NOT allow updates,
    > > but he still had the reverse zone set up to YES updates. I changed
    > > it to NO. Which is correct?
    > > thanks again
    >
    > Your delegate reverse public zone should be set to no, in fact all you
    > public zones should be no updates, the inernal private zones should be
    Only
    > secure updates, I apologize if I missed that.

    No sweat - that is how it is currently setup. If you need to get back in
    with TS, I'll enable it again.

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ============================
    > --
    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
    > newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my email.
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
    > OEBackup:

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Yes Ace - this is the only server - Mail, Web, FTP, and DNS - I have a
    reverse zone because of the mail pointer. thanks

    message news:uOPwzoSVEHA.2944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > In news:%23dpj4lPVEHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Kevin D. Goodknecht [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> posted their thoughts,
    then
    > I offered mine
    > >>
    > >> If you only have one DNS server, I don't understand why you even
    > >> needed a delegation. If your AD DNS domain name is:
    > >> lan.publicname.com
    > >> Then just create that zone in DNS and allow updates. Do you have a
    > >> parent or the root domain called publicname.com and do you have a
    > >> child domain called lan.publicname.com or is it just the one AD
    > >> domain name, which is also the root of your forest, called:
    > >> lan.publicname.com ? If that's so, I don't see why a delegation was
    > >> necessary. It can also invite errors if there's not a DNS server to
    > >> "delegate" to. Know what I mean?
    > >>
    > >> Could you elaborate on that for me?
    > >
    > > The delegation is to the internal name of the DC
    > > "server1.lan.publicname.com" with its private IP.
    > >

    > Kevin, I was wondering where you were with this... glad you jumped in.
    >
    > How many DNS servers are there? I'm kind of confused on this. Are there
    two
    > DNS servers or is there just one? I thought there was just one server. I'm
    > not able to make that clear thru the replies. If there's two, and there's
    > only one internally, where's the other one?
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > pig. --
    > =================================

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Sorry - one more thing - I got event ID 6702 error this morning. I tried
    looking some stuff up on it, but really lost.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uYbEr2TVEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > Sorry - one more thing - I got event ID 6702 error this morning. I
    > tried looking some stuff up on it, but really lost.

    Pardon my ignorance, then why are we delegating? What is being delegated
    from what DNS server to what other DNS server? IF there is only one DNS
    server, then I'm not seeing the necessity...

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uYbEr2TVEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > Sorry - one more thing - I got event ID 6702 error this morning. I
    > tried looking some stuff up on it, but really lost.

    Due to a misconfiguration.

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Well, I'm pretty sure you had mentioned something about a delegation record
    since I have 2 NICs in my server (in one of my other topics). Actually,
    that delegation record under my public zone was automatically created.

    As far as my intermittent problem - it seems like it has gone away. Kevin
    mentioned that I had a registry key problem -
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\PublishA
    ddresses

    I had my public IP in there and it should have been my private IP. I tried
    restarting services, but I was still losing connection. After I restarted
    the server, the problem seemed to go away. I'm not sure if the registry
    entry was what did it or I just needed to restart, but the registry key was
    still wrong!. Thanks for all the help!

    message news:e1Rho1ZVEHA.1152@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > In news:uYbEr2TVEHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    > Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > > Sorry - one more thing - I got event ID 6702 error this morning. I
    > > tried looking some stuff up on it, but really lost.
    >

    > Pardon my ignorance, then why are we delegating? What is being delegated
    > from what DNS server to what other DNS server? IF there is only one DNS
    > server, then I'm not seeing the necessity...
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Ace
    >
    > Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    > This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    > rights.
    >
    > Ace Fekay, MCSE 2000, MCSE+I, MCSA, MCT, MVP
    > Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
    >
    > HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    > pig. --
    > =================================

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:uYDeRAgWEHA.3640@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Darrel <dl1972####hotmail.com> posted their thoughts, then I offered mine
    > Well, I'm pretty sure you had mentioned something about a delegation
    > record since I have 2 NICs in my server (in one of my other topics).
    > Actually, that delegation record under my public zone was
    > automatically created.
    >
    > As far as my intermittent problem - it seems like it has gone away.
    > Kevin mentioned that I had a registry key problem -

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DNS\Parameters\PublishA
    > ddresses
    >
    > I had my public IP in there and it should have been my private IP. I
    > tried restarting services, but I was still losing connection. After
    > I restarted the server, the problem seemed to go away. I'm not sure
    > if the registry entry was what did it or I just needed to restart,
    > but the registry key was still wrong!. Thanks for all the help!

    Kevin and I talked about this offline. He mentioned the reg key. We both
    believe that was probably the cause.

    Glad it's working now!

    Cheers!

    :-)

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --

DNS Server DNS Internet Connection Windows