Beware of moveable armor mannequins

I've been using the marcMoriEstate mod. Overall, not a bad house mod, but
it has one serious problem. There's a couple of moveable armor mannequins
which you can place and display your armor on. The problem is that the game
does not save the positions (or the contents) of these mannequins when you
save and reload. I lost my Dragonbone Armor, my Ebony Mail, and I'm not
even sure what else this way. There's a bunch of static armor mannequins,
which are fine, but the moveable ones you find in a crate there are
seriously bugged and should not be used. I know that parts of this mod were
borrowed from other house mods, so this warning may apply to others as well.

(Incidentally, if anybody knows of any mods which have moveable mannequins
that actually WORK properly, let me know.)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:12:45 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>I've been using the marcMoriEstate mod. Overall, not a bad house mod, but
>it has one serious problem. There's a couple of moveable armor mannequins
>which you can place and display your armor on. The problem is that the game
>does not save the positions (or the contents) of these mannequins when you
>save and reload. I lost my Dragonbone Armor, my Ebony Mail, and I'm not
>even sure what else this way. There's a bunch of static armor mannequins,
>which are fine, but the moveable ones you find in a crate there are
>seriously bugged and should not be used. I know that parts of this mod were
>borrowed from other house mods, so this warning may apply to others as well.

I liked the marcMoriEstate mod, it even works great with the Balmora
Expansion mod. I never did try the Mori Estate movable mannequins
since I already had quite a few Dwermer Cyborgs (see below) when I
installed the mod. I've currently got version 1.03 of the Mori Estate
mod, however I read at the Link below that version 1.95 of the mod
should be out soon.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20195

Also if anyone is interested, Marc's web site where you can download
all of Marc's mods as well as see some pictures of his new Mori
Estate/Academy mod is at:

http://www.digitasystems.com/esII/homeX.asp

>(Incidentally, if anybody knows of any mods which have moveable mannequins
>that actually WORK properly, let me know.)

There is a Mod (Dwemer Cyborgs V1.01) that allows you to create
Dwarven Constructs that can function as Quite Good Combat Companions
(if equiped with Marksman weapons) or Armor Mannequins. I used the
mod for months to create constructs that I used as armor/clothing
mannequins and I NEVER lost Anything while using them! Granted when
the computer I used died, I lost EVERYTHING including the mod! :(
However I'm pretty sure that the Dwarven Construct mod had NOTHING to
do with my old computers death. ^_^

Keep in mind that building each Construct takes around 24 game hours
and a fair amount of raw materials. However if you're patient enough,
you can build your own Army to take into battle! <L>

If you're interested, you can find the Mod at the Link below:

http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=612

BTW, have you tried the IcesHideawayV1 mod? I found and installed it
while looking for more Morrowind mods for my new computer, it's Huge
and BEAUTIFUL! It's even got its own Aquarium your character can swim
in. ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> I liked the marcMoriEstate mod, it even works great with the Balmora
> Expansion mod. I never did try the Mori Estate movable mannequins
> since I already had quite a few Dwermer Cyborgs (see below) when I
> installed the mod. I've currently got version 1.03 of the Mori Estate
> mod, however I read at the Link below that version 1.95 of the mod
> should be out soon.
>
> http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20195

Yeah, I've actually been communicating with Marc directly about this. The
mannequins are apparently not his code, and he's never heard of anything
like this happening to anybody that's used them. I may never know what
caused my stuff to disappear, but at least I was able to use an old save to
figure out what I'd lost and replace it.

> If you're interested, you can find the Mod at the Link below:
>
> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=612
>
> BTW, have you tried the IcesHideawayV1 mod? I found and installed it
> while looking for more Morrowind mods for my new computer, it's Huge
> and BEAUTIFUL! It's even got its own Aquarium your character can swim
> in. ^_^

Hmm, may take a look at those. Thing is, I've moved all my stuff so many
times lately, I just want to settle down somewhere so I can get back to
actually playing the game... (As much stuff as I've collected, each move is
quite time-consuming...)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:06:11 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> I liked the marcMoriEstate mod, it even works great with the Balmora
>> Expansion mod. I never did try the Mori Estate movable mannequins
>> since I already had quite a few Dwermer Cyborgs (see below) when I
>> installed the mod. I've currently got version 1.03 of the Mori Estate
>> mod, however I read at the Link below that version 1.95 of the mod
>> should be out soon.
>>
>> http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20195
>
>Yeah, I've actually been communicating with Marc directly about this. The
>mannequins are apparently not his code, and he's never heard of anything
>like this happening to anybody that's used them. I may never know what
>caused my stuff to disappear, but at least I was able to use an old save to
>figure out what I'd lost and replace it.

At least you were able to figure out what happened. I'm now glad that
I had my Dwermer Cyborgs to use instead of using the Mori Estate
movable mannequins...

I knew that Marc was using the best parts of other mods to make his
GREAT Estate mod. I guess that combining multiple mods from different
sources to create one Big mod carries some risk, however since the
perfect mod for one person may contain a few flaws to another, which
happens Often with Housing Mods! I've long since learned to accept
and live with a few flaws in a mod I happen to like (like Mori
Estate). ^_^

>> If you're interested, you can find the Mod at the Link below:
>>
>> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=612
>>
>> BTW, have you tried the IcesHideawayV1 mod? I found and installed it
>> while looking for more Morrowind mods for my new computer, it's Huge
>> and BEAUTIFUL! It's even got its own Aquarium your character can swim
>> in. ^_^
>
>Hmm, may take a look at those. Thing is, I've moved all my stuff so many
>times lately, I just want to settle down somewhere so I can get back to
>actually playing the game... (As much stuff as I've collected, each move is
>quite time-consuming...)

Been there, done that WAY Too Many Times! :( Most times these days, I
have several homes because I like them (like Ices Hidaway), not
because I need them. But I only store the bulk of my stuff in one or
two of them... Granted my normal PreSort drop things off to get my
character's weight down storage area is the Balmora Mage Guild
downstairs bedroom. That's partly from habit because the closet there
holds ALOT of Stuff and partly because the Teleport Ring I prefer to
use allows Teleportation to 75 great game locations including the
Balmora Mage Guild downstairs area...

As for moving stuff, do what I do when making a major move. I set a
Mark spell near one area in my new home (like the Armor Storage Area),
then at my old home I pile everything that goes there into one pile
for one quick transport to my new digs. Then once that stuff's moved,
I move my Mark spell to a new area (if there is anything left that's
too heavy to move in one move).

My current character (at level 2) doesn't have the current Mori Estate
installed because I'm waiting for Mori Estate 1.95 to be released and
I don't want to possibly have to Move everything out of the old estate
before installing the new version of the mod. :( For now I'm storing
my stuff in the Balmora Mage Guild and in a few Large Containers in
Ices Hideaway while I wait (for awhile longer) for the new Estate mod
which I'll hopefully like as mush as the current version (my Favorite
house mod so far).

Hopefully you'll find your Perfect House mod soon so that you can get
back to actually having fun playing Morrowind.

Good Luck! ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> At least you were able to figure out what happened. I'm now glad that
> I had my Dwermer Cyborgs to use instead of using the Mori Estate
> movable mannequins...

Actually, no. I never did find out what happened. I was able to get my
stuff back by looking at an old save and writing down everything I had, then
going back and comparing to see what I'd lost, and using the console to
replace it. But I have no idea how it got lost in the first place, nor how
to make sure it never happens again, other than simply not using those
mannequins.

> As for moving stuff, do what I do when making a major move. I set a
> Mark spell near one area in my new home (like the Armor Storage Area),
> then at my old home I pile everything that goes there into one pile
> for one quick transport to my new digs. Then once that stuff's moved,
> I move my Mark spell to a new area (if there is anything left that's
> too heavy to move in one move).

The trick I'm going to use next time is to mod a ring with as much Fortify
Strength and Feather as possible, give myself two of them, and see how much
stuff I can carry in 1 trip. I will only use a house mod with a
teleportation ring, so I don't need to use Mark. (I did on the first move,
as I was just staying in Dura Gra-Bol's old house in Balmora.) The problem
is, I collect so much stuff that it's a real ordeal. I'm collecting
complete suits of every armor type, as well as tons of weapons. (Those
high-end Daedric weapons are quite heavy.) The other benefit is I'll maybe
be able to try doing something I've always wanted to do, just for shits and
giggles - Steal Stenndar's hammer from the museum in Mournhold. There's no
way I'd actually use it, but it would be cool just to have it around the
house for bragging rights...

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:49:47 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> At least you were able to figure out what happened. I'm now glad that
>> I had my Dwermer Cyborgs to use instead of using the Mori Estate
>> movable mannequins...
>
>Actually, no. I never did find out what happened. I was able to get my
>stuff back by looking at an old save and writing down everything I had, then
>going back and comparing to see what I'd lost, and using the console to
>replace it. But I have no idea how it got lost in the first place, nor how
>to make sure it never happens again, other than simply not using those
>mannequins.

That's a SLOW way to get back alot of stuff, however I'll admit that
it beats Reverting to playing using an Old Saved game. A faster
method for you to have used, might have been for you to note what was
missing and then open the console and type COC TODDTEST that would
take your character to a place where he/she could hopefully find
replacements for most of your characters missing unmod related
unenchanted items. Then you could use the console to replace any
items your character is still missing...

>> As for moving stuff, do what I do when making a major move. I set a
>> Mark spell near one area in my new home (like the Armor Storage Area),
>> then at my old home I pile everything that goes there into one pile
>> for one quick transport to my new digs. Then once that stuff's moved,
>> I move my Mark spell to a new area (if there is anything left that's
>> too heavy to move in one move).
>
>The trick I'm going to use next time is to mod a ring with as much Fortify
>Strength and Feather as possible, give myself two of them, and see how much
>stuff I can carry in 1 trip.

Write down your character's current strength, then Open the console
and type something like PLAYER->SETSTRENGTH 500 to set your
character's strength to 500 or higher if you like. Then when you've
finished your move, use the console and setstrength to restore your
character's strength to normal...

>I will only use a house mod with a
>teleportation ring, so I don't need to use Mark. (I did on the first move,
>as I was just staying in Dura Gra-Bol's old house in Balmora.) The problem
>is, I collect so much stuff that it's a real ordeal. I'm collecting
>complete suits of every armor type, as well as tons of weapons. (Those
>high-end Daedric weapons are quite heavy.)

I also refuse to consider a house mod for normal/practical use if it
doesn't include some means of teleporting to the home. Granted I do
sometimes Install some non-teleport house mods IF I like the way they
look even though I have no intention of actually using them.

I use mark and recall spells in a house mod so that my character
doesn't have to walk to a distant part of the home from the home's
teleport entry point when my character is moving in with LOTS of
stuff! After my characters are moved in, they generally enter the
house using the home's normal teleportion device.

>The other benefit is I'll maybe be
>able to try doing something I've always wanted to do, just for shits and
>giggles - Steal Stenndar's hammer from the museum in Mournhold. There's no
>way I'd actually use it, but it would be cool just to have it around the
>house for bragging rights...

You could always set a mark spell in your house where you want to
place Stenndar's hammer, then go to the Mournhold museum, grab the
hammer and use a recall spell to take you and the hammer back to your
home.

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> That's a SLOW way to get back alot of stuff, however I'll admit that
> it beats Reverting to playing using an Old Saved game. A faster
> method for you to have used, might have been for you to note what was
> missing and then open the console and type COC TODDTEST that would
> take your character to a place where he/she could hopefully find
> replacements for most of your characters missing unmod related
> unenchanted items. Then you could use the console to replace any
> items your character is still missing...

Well, since all the items lost in this case were enchanted unique items,
(Dragonbone Armor, Ebony Mail, etc.) that probably wouldn't have worked. (I
saw the ToddTest area in the construction set, been meaning to check it out,
along with the Character Item Wonderland, and the Clutter Warehouse. Just
out of curiousity, of course. Wouldn't dream of cheating in that way...)

> >The trick I'm going to use next time is to mod a ring with as much
Fortify
> >Strength and Feather as possible, give myself two of them, and see how
much
> >stuff I can carry in 1 trip.
>
> Write down your character's current strength, then Open the console
> and type something like PLAYER->SETSTRENGTH 500 to set your
> character's strength to 500 or higher if you like. Then when you've
> finished your move, use the console and setstrength to restore your
> character's strength to normal...

Hmm, I guess that would work too. Easier than modding it, anyhow.

> I use mark and recall spells in a house mod so that my character
> doesn't have to walk to a distant part of the home from the home's
> teleport entry point when my character is moving in with LOTS of
> stuff! After my characters are moved in, they generally enter the
> house using the home's normal teleportion device.

My Mark is sitting on the Mudcrab Merchant's island, and is being used as a
daily source of income. I'll move it when necessary for moving large
amounts of stuff (or things like that trick to get two Daedric Crescents),
but it always goes back to the Mudcrab. I hear there's a mod that lets you
have more than one Mark. I might look into that if I can find it...

> You could always set a mark spell in your house where you want to
> place Stenndar's hammer, then go to the Mournhold museum, grab the
> hammer and use a recall spell to take you and the hammer back to your
> home.

Ah, that's the chintzy way out. It would be so much more satisfying to
actually walk out the door with it... (Plus, It'd be fun to give it a
little test run, just for fun...)

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I've been using the marcMoriEstate mod. Overall, not a bad house mod, but
> it has one serious problem. There's a couple of moveable armor mannequins
> which you can place and display your armor on. The problem is that the game
> does not save the positions (or the contents) of these mannequins when you
> save and reload. I lost my Dragonbone Armor, my Ebony Mail, and I'm not
> even sure what else this way. There's a bunch of static armor mannequins,
> which are fine, but the moveable ones you find in a crate there are
> seriously bugged and should not be used. I know that parts of this mod were
> borrowed from other house mods, so this warning may apply to others as well.
>
> (Incidentally, if anybody knows of any mods which have moveable mannequins
> that actually WORK properly, let me know.)

Another option is to get a bunch of retainers and companion share the
armor so that they display it for you. Suran Underworld has a series of
quests that has you hiring a mercenary company as guards. Their
original equipment is basically junk so giving them better will mean
they will be wearing it. It is kind of neat seeing a group of guards in
Dark Brotherhood, ebony, adamantium, etc. armor.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:47:43 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>My Mark is sitting on the Mudcrab Merchant's island, and is being used as a
>daily source of income. I'll move it when necessary for moving large
>amounts of stuff (or things like that trick to get two Daedric Crescents),
>but it always goes back to the Mudcrab. I hear there's a mod that lets you
>have more than one Mark. I might look into that if I can find it...

I use "Ring Teleport v1.4" which lets my character Teleport to 75
important game locations including the Mudcrab and Creeper merchants.
The mod adds the Non-equiping (so it doesn't replace your equiped
rings) Teleport Ring which can be found in Balmora, in the unlocked
Council Club basement bedroom on a shelf by a box.

If you're interested, you can download the Teleport Ring at the link
below:

http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=631

Granted the ring is NOT for beginners to Morrowind because it removes
the Important need for a character to do alot of traveling/exploring
while completing quests. I'm currently playing the game with
something like my twentieth plus character, so the ring allows my
characters to skip alot of the now boring travel part of many
quests...

Good Luck! ^_^

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=631
>
> Granted the ring is NOT for beginners to Morrowind because it removes
> the Important need for a character to do alot of traveling/exploring
> while completing quests. I'm currently playing the game with
> something like my twentieth plus character, so the ring allows my
> characters to skip alot of the now boring travel part of many
> quests...

Hmm. Not a bad idea. Lately, the game has been crashing so much during
long periods of travel that I've been cheating and using COC commands to
shorten the trips. (I only teleport into populated towns, sort of a
self-imposed limitation I've placed to make it feel slightly less like
cheating.) I figure if the game is going to cheat me by forcing me to do
stuff over and over again every time it crashes, it's only fair that I cheat
back by skipping the boring parts. I should really work on getting the game
not to crash so much, of course, and I'll be spending the better part of
this weekend trying tweaks to make the game more stable. Failing that,
another 512 MB of memory and some heatsinks for the ram sticks ought to help
some, methinks...

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:25:49 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
wrote:

>> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=631
>>
>> Granted the ring is NOT for beginners to Morrowind because it removes
>> the Important need for a character to do alot of traveling/exploring
>> while completing quests. I'm currently playing the game with
>> something like my twentieth plus character, so the ring allows my
>> characters to skip alot of the now boring travel part of many
>> quests...
>
>Hmm. Not a bad idea. Lately, the game has been crashing so much during
>long periods of travel that I've been cheating and using COC commands to
>shorten the trips. (I only teleport into populated towns, sort of a
>self-imposed limitation I've placed to make it feel slightly less like
>cheating.) I figure if the game is going to cheat me by forcing me to do
>stuff over and over again every time it crashes, it's only fair that I cheat
>back by skipping the boring parts. I should really work on getting the game
>not to crash so much, of course, and I'll be spending the better part of
>this weekend trying tweaks to make the game more stable. Failing that,
>another 512 MB of memory and some heatsinks for the ram sticks ought to help
>some, methinks...

My old computer died, so I made sure that my new one had 1 gig of ram
and a 128 meg PCI Express graphics card, and Morrowind Still crashes
every hour or two! :( However in my case, I have little doubt that
the crashes are somehow due to mod conflicts... On the plus side,
with my new graphics card I'm seeing details in Morrowind that I never
saw before, though the light reflections on water frequently makes it
quite hard to see what's below the surface. :( When I'm through with
my current character, I plan to uninstall most of my mods (except my
must have mods), and install a different set of mods like the Seven
"Complete Morrowind Full" mods I still want to try. ^_^

wrote:

>be able to try doing something I've always wanted to do, just for shits and
>giggles - Steal Stenndar's hammer from the museum in Mournhold. There's no
>way I'd actually use it, but it would be cool just to have it around the
>house for bragging rights...

I have stolen that hammer as well and HAVE used it - though it's
unclear to me whether it was the Fortify Strength I used or the hammer
itself that made it an uber-weapon.