Beware of moveable armor mannequins

I've been using the marcMoriEstate mod. Overall, not a bad house mod, but
it has one serious problem. There's a couple of moveable armor mannequins
which you can place and display your armor on. The problem is that the game
does not save the positions (or the contents) of these mannequins when you
save and reload. I lost my Dragonbone Armor, my Ebony Mail, and I'm not
even sure what else this way. There's a bunch of static armor mannequins,
which are fine, but the moveable ones you find in a crate there are
seriously bugged and should not be used. I know that parts of this mod were
borrowed from other house mods, so this warning may apply to others as well.

(Incidentally, if anybody knows of any mods which have moveable mannequins
that actually WORK properly, let me know.)
11 answers Last reply
More about beware moveable armor mannequins

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:12:45 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >I've been using the marcMoriEstate mod. Overall, not a bad house mod, but
    >it has one serious problem. There's a couple of moveable armor mannequins
    >which you can place and display your armor on. The problem is that the game
    >does not save the positions (or the contents) of these mannequins when you
    >save and reload. I lost my Dragonbone Armor, my Ebony Mail, and I'm not
    >even sure what else this way. There's a bunch of static armor mannequins,
    >which are fine, but the moveable ones you find in a crate there are
    >seriously bugged and should not be used. I know that parts of this mod were
    >borrowed from other house mods, so this warning may apply to others as well.

    I liked the marcMoriEstate mod, it even works great with the Balmora
    Expansion mod. I never did try the Mori Estate movable mannequins
    since I already had quite a few Dwermer Cyborgs (see below) when I
    installed the mod. I've currently got version 1.03 of the Mori Estate
    mod, however I read at the Link below that version 1.95 of the mod
    should be out soon.

    http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20195

    Also if anyone is interested, Marc's web site where you can download
    all of Marc's mods as well as see some pictures of his new Mori
    Estate/Academy mod is at:

    http://www.digitasystems.com/esII/homeX.asp

    >(Incidentally, if anybody knows of any mods which have moveable mannequins
    >that actually WORK properly, let me know.)

    There is a Mod (Dwemer Cyborgs V1.01) that allows you to create
    Dwarven Constructs that can function as Quite Good Combat Companions
    (if equiped with Marksman weapons) or Armor Mannequins. I used the
    mod for months to create constructs that I used as armor/clothing
    mannequins and I NEVER lost Anything while using them! Granted when
    the computer I used died, I lost EVERYTHING including the mod! :(
    However I'm pretty sure that the Dwarven Construct mod had NOTHING to
    do with my old computers death. ^_^

    Keep in mind that building each Construct takes around 24 game hours
    and a fair amount of raw materials. However if you're patient enough,
    you can build your own Army to take into battle! <L>

    If you're interested, you can find the Mod at the Link below:

    http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=612

    BTW, have you tried the IcesHideawayV1 mod? I found and installed it
    while looking for more Morrowind mods for my new computer, it's Huge
    and BEAUTIFUL! It's even got its own Aquarium your character can swim
    in. ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > I liked the marcMoriEstate mod, it even works great with the Balmora
    > Expansion mod. I never did try the Mori Estate movable mannequins
    > since I already had quite a few Dwermer Cyborgs (see below) when I
    > installed the mod. I've currently got version 1.03 of the Mori Estate
    > mod, however I read at the Link below that version 1.95 of the mod
    > should be out soon.
    >
    > http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20195

    Yeah, I've actually been communicating with Marc directly about this. The
    mannequins are apparently not his code, and he's never heard of anything
    like this happening to anybody that's used them. I may never know what
    caused my stuff to disappear, but at least I was able to use an old save to
    figure out what I'd lost and replace it.

    > If you're interested, you can find the Mod at the Link below:
    >
    > http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=612
    >
    > BTW, have you tried the IcesHideawayV1 mod? I found and installed it
    > while looking for more Morrowind mods for my new computer, it's Huge
    > and BEAUTIFUL! It's even got its own Aquarium your character can swim
    > in. ^_^

    Hmm, may take a look at those. Thing is, I've moved all my stuff so many
    times lately, I just want to settle down somewhere so I can get back to
    actually playing the game... (As much stuff as I've collected, each move is
    quite time-consuming...)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:06:11 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> I liked the marcMoriEstate mod, it even works great with the Balmora
    >> Expansion mod. I never did try the Mori Estate movable mannequins
    >> since I already had quite a few Dwermer Cyborgs (see below) when I
    >> installed the mod. I've currently got version 1.03 of the Mori Estate
    >> mod, however I read at the Link below that version 1.95 of the mod
    >> should be out soon.
    >>
    >> http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20195
    >
    >Yeah, I've actually been communicating with Marc directly about this. The
    >mannequins are apparently not his code, and he's never heard of anything
    >like this happening to anybody that's used them. I may never know what
    >caused my stuff to disappear, but at least I was able to use an old save to
    >figure out what I'd lost and replace it.

    At least you were able to figure out what happened. I'm now glad that
    I had my Dwermer Cyborgs to use instead of using the Mori Estate
    movable mannequins...

    I knew that Marc was using the best parts of other mods to make his
    GREAT Estate mod. I guess that combining multiple mods from different
    sources to create one Big mod carries some risk, however since the
    perfect mod for one person may contain a few flaws to another, which
    happens Often with Housing Mods! I've long since learned to accept
    and live with a few flaws in a mod I happen to like (like Mori
    Estate). ^_^

    >> If you're interested, you can find the Mod at the Link below:
    >>
    >> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=612
    >>
    >> BTW, have you tried the IcesHideawayV1 mod? I found and installed it
    >> while looking for more Morrowind mods for my new computer, it's Huge
    >> and BEAUTIFUL! It's even got its own Aquarium your character can swim
    >> in. ^_^
    >
    >Hmm, may take a look at those. Thing is, I've moved all my stuff so many
    >times lately, I just want to settle down somewhere so I can get back to
    >actually playing the game... (As much stuff as I've collected, each move is
    >quite time-consuming...)

    Been there, done that WAY Too Many Times! :( Most times these days, I
    have several homes because I like them (like Ices Hidaway), not
    because I need them. But I only store the bulk of my stuff in one or
    two of them... Granted my normal PreSort drop things off to get my
    character's weight down storage area is the Balmora Mage Guild
    downstairs bedroom. That's partly from habit because the closet there
    holds ALOT of Stuff and partly because the Teleport Ring I prefer to
    use allows Teleportation to 75 great game locations including the
    Balmora Mage Guild downstairs area...

    As for moving stuff, do what I do when making a major move. I set a
    Mark spell near one area in my new home (like the Armor Storage Area),
    then at my old home I pile everything that goes there into one pile
    for one quick transport to my new digs. Then once that stuff's moved,
    I move my Mark spell to a new area (if there is anything left that's
    too heavy to move in one move).

    My current character (at level 2) doesn't have the current Mori Estate
    installed because I'm waiting for Mori Estate 1.95 to be released and
    I don't want to possibly have to Move everything out of the old estate
    before installing the new version of the mod. :( For now I'm storing
    my stuff in the Balmora Mage Guild and in a few Large Containers in
    Ices Hideaway while I wait (for awhile longer) for the new Estate mod
    which I'll hopefully like as mush as the current version (my Favorite
    house mod so far).

    Hopefully you'll find your Perfect House mod soon so that you can get
    back to actually having fun playing Morrowind.

    Good Luck! ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > At least you were able to figure out what happened. I'm now glad that
    > I had my Dwermer Cyborgs to use instead of using the Mori Estate
    > movable mannequins...

    Actually, no. I never did find out what happened. I was able to get my
    stuff back by looking at an old save and writing down everything I had, then
    going back and comparing to see what I'd lost, and using the console to
    replace it. But I have no idea how it got lost in the first place, nor how
    to make sure it never happens again, other than simply not using those
    mannequins.

    > As for moving stuff, do what I do when making a major move. I set a
    > Mark spell near one area in my new home (like the Armor Storage Area),
    > then at my old home I pile everything that goes there into one pile
    > for one quick transport to my new digs. Then once that stuff's moved,
    > I move my Mark spell to a new area (if there is anything left that's
    > too heavy to move in one move).

    The trick I'm going to use next time is to mod a ring with as much Fortify
    Strength and Feather as possible, give myself two of them, and see how much
    stuff I can carry in 1 trip. I will only use a house mod with a
    teleportation ring, so I don't need to use Mark. (I did on the first move,
    as I was just staying in Dura Gra-Bol's old house in Balmora.) The problem
    is, I collect so much stuff that it's a real ordeal. I'm collecting
    complete suits of every armor type, as well as tons of weapons. (Those
    high-end Daedric weapons are quite heavy.) The other benefit is I'll maybe
    be able to try doing something I've always wanted to do, just for shits and
    giggles - Steal Stenndar's hammer from the museum in Mournhold. There's no
    way I'd actually use it, but it would be cool just to have it around the
    house for bragging rights...

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:49:47 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> At least you were able to figure out what happened. I'm now glad that
    >> I had my Dwermer Cyborgs to use instead of using the Mori Estate
    >> movable mannequins...
    >
    >Actually, no. I never did find out what happened. I was able to get my
    >stuff back by looking at an old save and writing down everything I had, then
    >going back and comparing to see what I'd lost, and using the console to
    >replace it. But I have no idea how it got lost in the first place, nor how
    >to make sure it never happens again, other than simply not using those
    >mannequins.

    That's a SLOW way to get back alot of stuff, however I'll admit that
    it beats Reverting to playing using an Old Saved game. A faster
    method for you to have used, might have been for you to note what was
    missing and then open the console and type COC TODDTEST that would
    take your character to a place where he/she could hopefully find
    replacements for most of your characters missing unmod related
    unenchanted items. Then you could use the console to replace any
    items your character is still missing...

    >> As for moving stuff, do what I do when making a major move. I set a
    >> Mark spell near one area in my new home (like the Armor Storage Area),
    >> then at my old home I pile everything that goes there into one pile
    >> for one quick transport to my new digs. Then once that stuff's moved,
    >> I move my Mark spell to a new area (if there is anything left that's
    >> too heavy to move in one move).
    >
    >The trick I'm going to use next time is to mod a ring with as much Fortify
    >Strength and Feather as possible, give myself two of them, and see how much
    >stuff I can carry in 1 trip.

    Write down your character's current strength, then Open the console
    and type something like PLAYER->SETSTRENGTH 500 to set your
    character's strength to 500 or higher if you like. Then when you've
    finished your move, use the console and setstrength to restore your
    character's strength to normal...

    >I will only use a house mod with a
    >teleportation ring, so I don't need to use Mark. (I did on the first move,
    >as I was just staying in Dura Gra-Bol's old house in Balmora.) The problem
    >is, I collect so much stuff that it's a real ordeal. I'm collecting
    >complete suits of every armor type, as well as tons of weapons. (Those
    >high-end Daedric weapons are quite heavy.)

    I also refuse to consider a house mod for normal/practical use if it
    doesn't include some means of teleporting to the home. Granted I do
    sometimes Install some non-teleport house mods IF I like the way they
    look even though I have no intention of actually using them.

    I use mark and recall spells in a house mod so that my character
    doesn't have to walk to a distant part of the home from the home's
    teleport entry point when my character is moving in with LOTS of
    stuff! After my characters are moved in, they generally enter the
    house using the home's normal teleportion device.

    >The other benefit is I'll maybe be
    >able to try doing something I've always wanted to do, just for shits and
    >giggles - Steal Stenndar's hammer from the museum in Mournhold. There's no
    >way I'd actually use it, but it would be cool just to have it around the
    >house for bragging rights...

    You could always set a mark spell in your house where you want to
    place Stenndar's hammer, then go to the Mournhold museum, grab the
    hammer and use a recall spell to take you and the hammer back to your
    home.

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > That's a SLOW way to get back alot of stuff, however I'll admit that
    > it beats Reverting to playing using an Old Saved game. A faster
    > method for you to have used, might have been for you to note what was
    > missing and then open the console and type COC TODDTEST that would
    > take your character to a place where he/she could hopefully find
    > replacements for most of your characters missing unmod related
    > unenchanted items. Then you could use the console to replace any
    > items your character is still missing...

    Well, since all the items lost in this case were enchanted unique items,
    (Dragonbone Armor, Ebony Mail, etc.) that probably wouldn't have worked. (I
    saw the ToddTest area in the construction set, been meaning to check it out,
    along with the Character Item Wonderland, and the Clutter Warehouse. Just
    out of curiousity, of course. Wouldn't dream of cheating in that way...)

    > >The trick I'm going to use next time is to mod a ring with as much
    Fortify
    > >Strength and Feather as possible, give myself two of them, and see how
    much
    > >stuff I can carry in 1 trip.
    >
    > Write down your character's current strength, then Open the console
    > and type something like PLAYER->SETSTRENGTH 500 to set your
    > character's strength to 500 or higher if you like. Then when you've
    > finished your move, use the console and setstrength to restore your
    > character's strength to normal...

    Hmm, I guess that would work too. Easier than modding it, anyhow.

    > I use mark and recall spells in a house mod so that my character
    > doesn't have to walk to a distant part of the home from the home's
    > teleport entry point when my character is moving in with LOTS of
    > stuff! After my characters are moved in, they generally enter the
    > house using the home's normal teleportion device.

    My Mark is sitting on the Mudcrab Merchant's island, and is being used as a
    daily source of income. I'll move it when necessary for moving large
    amounts of stuff (or things like that trick to get two Daedric Crescents),
    but it always goes back to the Mudcrab. I hear there's a mod that lets you
    have more than one Mark. I might look into that if I can find it...

    > You could always set a mark spell in your house where you want to
    > place Stenndar's hammer, then go to the Mournhold museum, grab the
    > hammer and use a recall spell to take you and the hammer back to your
    > home.

    Ah, that's the chintzy way out. It would be so much more satisfying to
    actually walk out the door with it... (Plus, It'd be fun to give it a
    little test run, just for fun...)

    Darrel Hoffman wrote:

    > I've been using the marcMoriEstate mod. Overall, not a bad house mod, but
    > it has one serious problem. There's a couple of moveable armor mannequins
    > which you can place and display your armor on. The problem is that the game
    > does not save the positions (or the contents) of these mannequins when you
    > save and reload. I lost my Dragonbone Armor, my Ebony Mail, and I'm not
    > even sure what else this way. There's a bunch of static armor mannequins,
    > which are fine, but the moveable ones you find in a crate there are
    > seriously bugged and should not be used. I know that parts of this mod were
    > borrowed from other house mods, so this warning may apply to others as well.
    >
    > (Incidentally, if anybody knows of any mods which have moveable mannequins
    > that actually WORK properly, let me know.)

    Another option is to get a bunch of retainers and companion share the
    armor so that they display it for you. Suran Underworld has a series of
    quests that has you hiring a mercenary company as guards. Their
    original equipment is basically junk so giving them better will mean
    they will be wearing it. It is kind of neat seeing a group of guards in
    Dark Brotherhood, ebony, adamantium, etc. armor.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:47:43 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >My Mark is sitting on the Mudcrab Merchant's island, and is being used as a
    >daily source of income. I'll move it when necessary for moving large
    >amounts of stuff (or things like that trick to get two Daedric Crescents),
    >but it always goes back to the Mudcrab. I hear there's a mod that lets you
    >have more than one Mark. I might look into that if I can find it...

    I use "Ring Teleport v1.4" which lets my character Teleport to 75
    important game locations including the Mudcrab and Creeper merchants.
    The mod adds the Non-equiping (so it doesn't replace your equiped
    rings) Teleport Ring which can be found in Balmora, in the unlocked
    Council Club basement bedroom on a shelf by a box.

    If you're interested, you can download the Teleport Ring at the link
    below:

    http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=631

    Granted the ring is NOT for beginners to Morrowind because it removes
    the Important need for a character to do alot of traveling/exploring
    while completing quests. I'm currently playing the game with
    something like my twentieth plus character, so the ring allows my
    characters to skip alot of the now boring travel part of many
    quests...

    Good Luck! ^_^

    That's my 2¢,

    FTA

    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

    -Martin Luther King Jr.

    > http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=631
    >
    > Granted the ring is NOT for beginners to Morrowind because it removes
    > the Important need for a character to do alot of traveling/exploring
    > while completing quests. I'm currently playing the game with
    > something like my twentieth plus character, so the ring allows my
    > characters to skip alot of the now boring travel part of many
    > quests...

    Hmm. Not a bad idea. Lately, the game has been crashing so much during
    long periods of travel that I've been cheating and using COC commands to
    shorten the trips. (I only teleport into populated towns, sort of a
    self-imposed limitation I've placed to make it feel slightly less like
    cheating.) I figure if the game is going to cheat me by forcing me to do
    stuff over and over again every time it crashes, it's only fair that I cheat
    back by skipping the boring parts. I should really work on getting the game
    not to crash so much, of course, and I'll be spending the better part of
    this weekend trying tweaks to make the game more stable. Failing that,
    another 512 MB of memory and some heatsinks for the ram sticks ought to help
    some, methinks...

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 23:25:49 -0500, "Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so>
    wrote:

    >> http://mwsource.com/center/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=631
    >>
    >> Granted the ring is NOT for beginners to Morrowind because it removes
    >> the Important need for a character to do alot of traveling/exploring
    >> while completing quests. I'm currently playing the game with
    >> something like my twentieth plus character, so the ring allows my
    >> characters to skip alot of the now boring travel part of many
    >> quests...
    >
    >Hmm. Not a bad idea. Lately, the game has been crashing so much during
    >long periods of travel that I've been cheating and using COC commands to
    >shorten the trips. (I only teleport into populated towns, sort of a
    >self-imposed limitation I've placed to make it feel slightly less like
    >cheating.) I figure if the game is going to cheat me by forcing me to do
    >stuff over and over again every time it crashes, it's only fair that I cheat
    >back by skipping the boring parts. I should really work on getting the game
    >not to crash so much, of course, and I'll be spending the better part of
    >this weekend trying tweaks to make the game more stable. Failing that,
    >another 512 MB of memory and some heatsinks for the ram sticks ought to help
    >some, methinks...

    My old computer died, so I made sure that my new one had 1 gig of ram
    and a 128 meg PCI Express graphics card, and Morrowind Still crashes
    every hour or two! :( However in my case, I have little doubt that
    the crashes are somehow due to mod conflicts... On the plus side,
    with my new graphics card I'm seeing details in Morrowind that I never
    saw before, though the light reflections on water frequently makes it
    quite hard to see what's below the surface. :( When I'm through with
    my current character, I plan to uninstall most of my mods (except my
    must have mods), and install a different set of mods like the Seven
    "Complete Morrowind Full" mods I still want to try. ^_^

    wrote:

    >be able to try doing something I've always wanted to do, just for shits and
    >giggles - Steal Stenndar's hammer from the museum in Mournhold. There's no
    >way I'd actually use it, but it would be cool just to have it around the
    >house for bragging rights...

    I have stolen that hammer as well and HAVE used it - though it's
    unclear to me whether it was the Fortify Strength I used or the hammer
    itself that made it an uber-weapon.

Games Video Games