asterisk in an A record (question for the experts)

Hi there,

In the NT 4.0 DNS I could add an asterist in a host (A) record name and use
it as a wild card. This does not seem to be the case with Windows 2000/2003.
I tried adding a host record i.e. *test and it would not let me either in an
AD integrated DNS zone or a standard primary zone.

Can anybody help me figure this one out?

Chris
2 answers Last reply
More about asterisk record question experts

    Sorry all, it was a remote control issue that was causing it.

    Chris

    "Chris Henderson" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > In the NT 4.0 DNS I could add an asterist in a host (A) record name and
    use
    > it as a wild card. This does not seem to be the case with Windows
    2000/2003.
    > I tried adding a host record i.e. *test and it would not let me either in
    an
    > AD integrated DNS zone or a standard primary zone.
    >
    > Can anybody help me figure this one out?
    >
    > Chris

    Hello Chris,

    Thanks for your posting.

    From your post, my understanding of this issue is: You can create a Host
    (A) record with an asterisk in the host name (for example, *test) on
    Windows NT Server 4.0 DNS Server, however you cannot create such a record
    on Win2000/2003 DNS Server. If this is not correct, please feel free to
    let me know.

    Chris, I have tested this issue on my side and based on my test, I am
    afraid that we cannot create such a Host record on a Win2000/2003 based DNS
    Server. This is a by design behavior and we cannot change it. We can only
    create a wildcard Host record like the following:

    *.example.com IN A 10.0.0.1

    In addition, I would like to know why you want to create such a Host
    record. If you need to identify a host with multiple names, you may create
    the Alias (CNAME) records for the host.

    The DNS Server service can use wildcards to associate multiple possible DNS
    name destinations with a single computer acting as a gateway for all names
    based on a wildcarded name. The most common use of wildcards in DNS
    records is with the mail exchanger (MX) resource record; for example, to
    configure DNS for an Internet mail gateway host routing mail between your
    private network and the Internet. The following is an example of the
    wildcard record usage:

    *.example.microsoft.com. IN MX 10 mailserver1.example.microsoft.com
    example.microsoft.com. IN MX 10 mailserver1.example.microsoft.com
    mailserver1.example.microsoft.com. IN A 10.0.0.2

    For detailed information, please refer to the following articles:

    Checking names and zone data
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/Serv
    erHelp/bb74e112-68db-4492-86f3-e8ef013e04c6.mspx>

    Explanation of DNS Wildcards
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=193844>

    You cannot use the DNS snap-in to create a wildcard character record
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=840687>

    Hope the above information helps. Should you have any concerns, please
    feel free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

    Have a nice day!

    Steven Wang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    --------------------
    >From: "Chris Henderson" <someone@somewhere.com>
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
    >Subject: asterisk in an A record (question for the experts)
    >Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 03:48:35 GMT
    >
    >Hi there,
    >
    >In the NT 4.0 DNS I could add an asterist in a host (A) record name and use
    >it as a wild card. This does not seem to be the case with Windows
    2000/2003.
    >I tried adding a host record i.e. *test and it would not let me either in
    an
    >AD integrated DNS zone or a standard primary zone.
    >
    >Can anybody help me figure this one out?
    >
    >Chris

Windows 2000 Microsoft DNS Windows