Sign in with
Your question

LOUD chipset fan

Last response: in Motherboards
August 11, 2006 8:22:13 PM

My little 30mm fan on the northbridge chipset on my Asus A8N5X mobo has been noisy for the past few months but recently it's started making this HORRIBLE grinding noise like a buzzsaw. I've done some research and it looks like Asus chipset fans failing or becoming extremely noisy is a fairly common problem to the point where Asus will send replacement fans no questions asked.

I'm thinking about getting a Zalman heatsink to replace the fan altogether so I don't have to worry about noise, but I've got 2 questions about this. I've got a really big honking graphics card, a 7800GT, and the fan already in there is a pretty tight fit, I'm wondering how I can find out if the heatsink will fit and not conflict with the graphics card. My second concern is if it's possible to remove the old fan and install the heatsink without dismounting the motherboard from my case chassis, since my case doesn't have a back-of-the-motherboard access panel and pulling the board out is a huge pain.

As an aside question, I'm seriously considering just unplugging the damn power to the noisy fan in the meanwhile. Considering the faceplate of the fan acts as a sort of ghetto heatsink anyways, would this be really dangerous if I have everything running at stock settings? How could I safely monitor the chipset temperatures? I've got speed fan but I have no idea which temperature sensor is the chipset.

More about : loud chipset fan

August 15, 2006 8:49:07 PM

Quote:
My little 30mm fan on the northbridge chipset on my Asus A8N5X mobo has been noisy for the past few months but recently it's started making this HORRIBLE grinding noise like a buzzsaw. I've done some research and it looks like Asus chipset fans failing or becoming extremely noisy is a fairly common problem to the point where Asus will send replacement fans no questions asked.

I'm thinking about getting a Zalman heatsink to replace the fan altogether so I don't have to worry about noise, but I've got 2 questions about this. I've got a really big honking graphics card, a 7800GT, and the fan already in there is a pretty tight fit, I'm wondering how I can find out if the heatsink will fit and not conflict with the graphics card. My second concern is if it's possible to remove the old fan and install the heatsink without dismounting the motherboard from my case chassis, since my case doesn't have a back-of-the-motherboard access panel and pulling the board out is a huge pain.

As an aside question, I'm seriously considering just unplugging the damn power to the noisy fan in the meanwhile. Considering the faceplate of the fan acts as a sort of ghetto heatsink anyways, would this be really dangerous if I have everything running at stock settings? How could I safely monitor the chipset temperatures? I've got speed fan but I have no idea which temperature sensor is the chipset.

ER,,AHHH,no matter how YOU look at it you are GOING to have to take your MOBO out and fix the freaking problem ..So as much as you may not look forward to it do what has to be done and get it over with and you will be glad that you did,...
Remember if it's worth doing ,then it's worth doing right,after all it's your 'puter/time/and $$$$.so get off your butt and fix your buddy up right..
g"day :) ))
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2006 9:13:59 PM

ya what he said ^. You're gonna need to take that board out. Time to practice how to put 20 screws on a desk and not have only 5 left when you need them again :D  . As for unplugging the northbridge fan... that would be a very good way to fry your northrbidge. I believe the manufacturer put that there for a reason other than to spend extra money on every board... If you really want to quiet that thing down a bit i would recommend you take the fan off hte north bridge (with hte pc off of course). Get a little bit of lube and apply it to the fan's bearings (spellin...?). That should make it much quieter (temporarily anyways).
!