Forwarders not Enabled?

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I have just created a new Win2K DC for a brand new domain. I have the
static IP address of the server in as my Primary DNS. The W/S's have the
server listed as the Primary as well. However, I cannot get to the
internet. I put in my assigned external DNS address in as the Secondary but
still cannot get out. I wanted to set up the Forwarder to handle the
requests but on the Forwarding Tab Enable is greyed out and I cannot even
try setting it up. What's up with that and how do I re-enable Forwarding?

Thanks for any assistance -
Jon

Hey Jon!

You should delete your " . " root zone, under Forward Lookup Zones in the
DNS management tool.
That will stop making your DNS Server think it is a root server and enable
you to use Forwarders.

Might need to give it a few seconds after you delete it for the Forwarders
to be available.

/ Per

"Jon" <lanmanjs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just created a new Win2K DC for a brand new domain. I have the
> static IP address of the server in as my Primary DNS. The W/S's have the
> server listed as the Primary as well. However, I cannot get to the
> internet. I put in my assigned external DNS address in as the Secondary
but
> still cannot get out. I wanted to set up the Forwarder to handle the
> requests but on the Forwarding Tab Enable is greyed out and I cannot even
> try setting it up. What's up with that and how do I re-enable Forwarding?
>
> Thanks for any assistance -
> Jon

....also, you should only use the external DNS address in the Forwarders!
No where else, neither on the server or the workstations. That way you won't
make your network confused. Everybody goes to your DNS server. If your DNS
server doesn't have the record, it uses the Forwarder to look it up.
Your DNS server, which sounds to be the one and only DC/DNS server, should
have it's own IP address in the DNS settings of your IP settings. You can
leave the secondary DNS blank or add a secondary DNS server if you chose to
add another one in your network later on, which probably would be
recommended.

If you care about the details:
Reason to why you wouldn't want a workstation to have Primary DNS as your
DNS server and Secondary DNS as your ISP's DNS server is that a workstation
will first check the Primary DNS, if it's available then that's the DNS it
will communicate with. As long as it is on the Primary it will be able to
translate all the DNS in your LAN as well as the internet.
If you happen to get some "congestions" between your workstation and your
DNS server and your DNS server doesn't reply in time to your workstation,
your workstation will jump to your secondary DNS. Now it won't look back to
the Primary again, until it looses the connection to the secondary DNS,
which means as long as you now are stuck on the secondary DNS you won't be
able to look up any internal DNS at all, only internet..! (not very good!)
That's also why you should have a secondary internal DNS server...
I've seen this misconfiguration causing real head ache problems...

/ Per

"Jon" <lanmanjs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just created a new Win2K DC for a brand new domain. I have the
> static IP address of the server in as my Primary DNS. The W/S's have the
> server listed as the Primary as well. However, I cannot get to the
> internet. I put in my assigned external DNS address in as the Secondary
but
> still cannot get out. I wanted to set up the Forwarder to handle the
> requests but on the Forwarding Tab Enable is greyed out and I cannot even
> try setting it up. What's up with that and how do I re-enable Forwarding?
>
> Thanks for any assistance -
> Jon

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Thank you very much for the reply. I will do as you have here and beat
my DNS into submission. This should help out a lot.

Again, thank you!!

"Per Hagstrom" <per.hagstrom@swic.eduNOSPAM> wrote in message
> ...also, you should only use the external DNS address in the Forwarders!
> No where else, neither on the server or the workstations. That way you
> won't
> make your network confused. Everybody goes to your DNS server. If your DNS
> server doesn't have the record, it uses the Forwarder to look it up.
> Your DNS server, which sounds to be the one and only DC/DNS server, should
> have it's own IP address in the DNS settings of your IP settings. You can
> leave the secondary DNS blank or add a secondary DNS server if you chose
> add another one in your network later on, which probably would be
> recommended.
>
> If you care about the details:
> Reason to why you wouldn't want a workstation to have Primary DNS as your
> DNS server and Secondary DNS as your ISP's DNS server is that a
> workstation
> will first check the Primary DNS, if it's available then that's the DNS it
> will communicate with. As long as it is on the Primary it will be able to
> translate all the DNS in your LAN as well as the internet.
> If you happen to get some "congestions" between your workstation and your
> DNS server and your DNS server doesn't reply in time to your workstation,
> your workstation will jump to your secondary DNS. Now it won't look back
> the Primary again, until it looses the connection to the secondary DNS,
> which means as long as you now are stuck on the secondary DNS you won't be
> able to look up any internal DNS at all, only internet..! (not very good!)
> That's also why you should have a secondary internal DNS server...
> I've seen this misconfiguration causing real head ache problems...
>

> / Per
>

> "Jon" <lanmanjs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have just created a new Win2K DC for a brand new domain. I have the
>> static IP address of the server in as my Primary DNS. The W/S's have the
>> server listed as the Primary as well. However, I cannot get to the
>> internet. I put in my assigned external DNS address in as the Secondary
> but
>> still cannot get out. I wanted to set up the Forwarder to handle the
>> requests but on the Forwarding Tab Enable is greyed out and I cannot even
>> try setting it up. What's up with that and how do I re-enable
>> Forwarding?
>>
>> Thanks for any assistance -
>> Jon

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

J> What's up with that and how do I re-enable Forwarding?

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-monolithic-server-as-proxy.html>

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

Delete the "." root zone. You (almost certainly) don't
need it and it prevents the use of the Forwarders --
the edit box will re-enable once the "." zone is gone.

(Really.)

--
Herb Martin

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard@Tesco.NET> wrote in message
> J> What's up with that and how do I re-enable Forwarding?

<URL:http://homepages.tesco.net./~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/dns-monolithic-server
-as-proxy.html>

solrosin

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
One other thing here:

I deleted the "." zone as this forum suggests, but I had to run the "configure server" wizard to get it to take hold. If it still gives you fits, try that. Just omit configuring another forward zone.