Win98se modem diagnostics

G

When I go to modems in control panel, the first screen shows only one modem, on com2. This is correct. Then I click "diagnostics", and the dialog box shows only com 1,3,5.!! Thus I can't diagnose my modem. How can I get the second dialog box to see com2?
Any help GREATLY appreciated.

RAR

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
That depends on your BIOS settings, card slot positions, type modem (PCI/ISA).

1. If you can configure your BIOS settings to select IRQ's for card slots on your M/B, try that.

2. If your modem is PCI try moving it to a different card slot on your M/B (avoid PCI slot #1 if you have a AGP graphic card installed, AGP slot & PCI slot #1 are shares).

3. If your modem is ISA check your BIOS settings to see if you can configure Leagacy hardware to assigned IRQ's.

Not sure if this will help, because I don't know all the specifics of your configuration, hardware, and type BIOS. Another thing to check is for updates to your existing BIOS version. This may provide you some additional options of the BIOS settings. Hope this was helpful.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

Thanks for the tips. I am going to have to think long and hard about moving the modem to a new slot. I had hell getting it installed in the first place, and it is working OK. I will keep your suggestions, and if it craps out, will try them. In any case I do greatly appreciate your taking the time to reply to my question. (the modem is a pci)
rr

RAR