Punycode with W2K DNS servers

NickC

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

I have just been asked by my boss if our dns servers are
punycode compatible, i have never evcen heard of it. we
have standard windows 2000 dns servers running internet
dns. Are these compatible

we received this in an email

In late April, Tucows converted its existing inventory
of .com and .net IDNs to the new punycode encoding
schema. Since the conversion, domain names have resolved
both in punycode format and Row-based ASCII-Compatible
Encoding (RACE), previously the standard for domain
encoding.

Effective 29 June 2004, the registry operator for .COM
and .NET will remove all support for RACE, and .COM
and .NET IDNs will resolve in punycode format only.
Resellers and registrants must ensure that their
nameserver records are updated in order to reflect the
final punycode standard. Nameservers that have not yet
migrated by this date will no longer resolve until this
change is made.

Also effective 29 June 2004, the IDN conversion tool will
support punycode domains only. The tool is located at
http://precow.tucows.com/cgi-bin/IDN/index.cgi.

Thanks

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3492.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

Now that the Web is recognising the reality that there are other means of
human communication beside English, it has become necessary to devise a
means to be able to translate "Akómöláfé" to "Akomolafe". You do not have to
worry about this unless you are a Registrar. But, if you are interested in
IDN, then this will be helpful:
http://www.verisign.com/nds/naming/idn/techdocs.html

--
Sincerely,