Secondary zone will not resolve, kinda...

Hi,

I have just set up another server for several secondary zones. The zone's
transfer perfectly, and the server will resolve my requests when I have
statically assigned my computer's primary DNS with the IP address of the
server. However, the server will not resolve my requests when I use
nslookup with a different Primary DNS Server setting. When I do a request,
is it going through my primary DNS server? Does the primary DNS server have
to trust this other server? Please Help!

Derek Smith

"Derek Smith" <farscapian@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have just set up another server for several secondary zones. The zone's
> transfer perfectly, and the server will resolve my requests when I have
> statically assigned my computer's primary DNS with the IP address of the
> server. However, the server will not resolve my requests when I use
> nslookup with a different Primary DNS Server setting.

NSLookup has NO CONCEPT of "Primary Server" -- when you
specify a DNS server in NSLookup you are directing the query
TO THAT SERVER.

> When I do a request,
> is it going through my primary DNS server?

No, not necessarily -- it goes to the current DNS server of the
client by default, but to whatever (and only to the) server you
specify if you choose to specify a DNS server.

> Does the primary DNS server have
> to trust this other server? Please Help!

No, DNS has NO CONCEPT of trusts.

There are limitations on "zone transfers" in most DNS servers,
but that doesn't affect normal queries, just "listing" of zones and
actual zone transfers to secondaries.

--
Herb Martin